U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:36 PM

4,077 posts, read 4,048,407 times

Advertisements

I seem to never be able to figure out what style of clothing looks best on me, or what I even like best. Maybe that's exactly the way the clothing designers want us to feel! New things come out all the time, they are fresh and exciting, I buy them, then after one or two wearings I feel like buying them was a mistake.

I don't know why I have such a hard time deciding what style is "me." Some days I think it's the timeless, classic look, other days I like off-beat, funky, unique looks, or jeans & cowboy boots, or flowy resort casual, or you name it, I've tried it. And I know, of course, that different occasions call for different styles, but the pieces in my closet are all over the place!

I've lost 25 pounds, and when I'm down another 20 or so, I want (will need) to re-do my wardrobe, but I just don't know how to start. I want to own a lot fewer pieces than I do now, but pieces that are good quality that I love.

Can anyone direct me to some good websites or books to help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,669,139 times
I sure understand! Its hard for me to really adopt a "style". Kind of all over the place to. Whatever you like is you, even if its a mixture of styles. I have lots of basics which sometimes I wear, simple tshirt and jeans. Or a plaid button up with jeans. I also like the hippy boho look but not over the top at times with a flowy skirt. Sometimes more classy.. it all depends on my mood I guess and where im going.

I am constantly going through the closet and removing pieces I dont wear or wont work on me anymore. I dont think theres anything wrong with not having one certain style. its more fun to have a variety.

Congrats on the weight loss also!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times
Depends on where I'm going or what mood I'm in. Most of the time I usually wear jeans, a fitted top, and Converse sneakers or sandals. If I need to clean it up for a social event, I tend to gravitate toward boho styles. I don't wear heels and have never been much into accessorizing.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
This time of the year, its usually a polo shirt and jeans (or) shorts depending on the weather.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
I built a wardrobe that feels like "me" by finding a label in each category that I liked, and that had consistent sizing that fit me well most of the time. Each season, I would shop that collection first, and then look for complementary pieces in the same department. I regularly shop in just a few stores (and departments) that carry my favorite labels, rather than shopping all over the mall (and internet), which keeps me from picking up too many orphan styles. Probably 80% of my wardrobe is comprised of three or four labels that I return to repeatedly, and the rest are one-offs that get rotated out pretty frequently.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,948,202 times
If I'm not working, I love to wear boho gypsy style clothes, especially dresses
or long flowing open wraps w/ jeans & flip flops......

Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 AM

333 posts, read 376,744 times
Traditional. I don't like flashing brand names but I am willing to pay for quality. Most days I wear some jeans, a nice top/blouse or sweater/cardigan and some ballet flats or boots. If it is cold I might wear an overcoat or puffer jacket.

At home is different. At the moment it is getting cold so trackie daks (sweatpants) a hoodie and my ugg boots is as classy as it gets!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
My style is all of my parts covered appropriately in public, no "trend" following, no "labels", no "designers" just clothing that fits well, is good quality at a good price.
Some of my clothing is 15+ years old, no holes, no fading and they fit well.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 PM

4 posts, read 1,594 times
Depends on where and my mood Most of time I usually wear suits,Because I am feel comfortable.and I don't wear heels and heavy accessories.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 PM

322 posts, read 171,839 times
I like to dress pretty casual. Sweatshirt, jeans, boots and a scarf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or