U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:54 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,199,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I don't have too many occasions to wear a suit, but recently I spent all day at my sister-in-law's wedding in one, and at the end of the evening it occurred to me how comfortable I felt. I mean, ok, a suit and tie is not exactly sweatpants and a hoodie, but a well-cut suit from a soft lightweight fabric is pretty darn comfortable.

Obviously they're not good for crawling around on the ground or heavy exertion, and not a good choice for hot and humid weather, but otherwise, what's the big deal?

Agree or disagree?
One word: CONFINEMENT. I don't like the feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:51 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
One word: CONFINEMENT. I don't like the feeling.
That's the perfect way to describe it I don't know how people did it back in the 50s (and prior) when it was the social norm to wear a suit to every job, every day, and then come home and eat dinner in your suit and tie. Or maybe Leave it to Beaver didn't reflect reality... it's my only insight to the 50s since I wasn't alive back then.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:18 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
My husband PREFERS to wear suits. He considers them to be SUPREMELY comfortable. And when he's not at the gym, or in the pool, or in a bathrobe, he's in a suit.

I think that men who hate suits associate them with being little boys with stupid mothers, who forced them into tight, hot, scratchy Easter suits, with shirts whose collars fit too tight. These hapless little boys had their hair greazed with goop that had a nauseating Witch Hazel odor, and combed into the goobey little "controlled" hairstyles preferred by stupid mothers everywhere. The ties were tightened-to-choking. The boys' feet were forced into cheap, stiff, shiny shoes. The socks were cheap, fuzzy things that only came halfway up the calf, and kept falling down - adding to the insecurity. The whole getup was about as comfortable as a hair shirt. The result, of course, was that these men grew up hating church, and suits, and any other type of occasion where they were expected to dress-up and "behave". I got dragged to Church, too (my Mama's favorite place for picking up johns), and remember all those miserable little boys.

My husband missed all of that. His first suit was a wool crepe Armani that I bought for him at my first Steinmart Saks Sale (the original store had boxes full of damaged/marked-out-of-stock Saks Fifth Avenue merch, shipped directly from New York - at Pennies-on-the-Dollar). A couple of the shirts I found that day were from Hilditch & Key, and a couple were from Armani. For a Dollar apiece, I found a Fendi tie, and a couple of Saks house label ties. Apparently, people had returned USED socks to Saks. For fifty Cents a pair, I got beautiful (used) over-the-calf cotton lisle, and silk socks for him.

We were eighteen at the time, and had both come from extreme poverty. We'd been married nearly a year, and were transforming from hideous, malnourished wretches, to weightlifting, vitamin-popping hotties. DH had experienced a growth spurt, on top of the blossoming that comes with a seventeen-year-old's discovery of weightlifting. When our friends were planning the buying trip, someone had the sense to get DH's measurements. That proved cause for alarm, because he already had a twelve inch drop, from jacket size to waist size (five inches is "normal"). I can only ascribe my finding that Armani - in an 'athletic cut' - to Divine Providence. The pants only needed taking-in a couple more inches. Apparently, in our area, nobody had heard of a suit for a boy with a twelve inch drop. The ladies in our office (where I was doing work-study) were flapping around in a dither, wondering "whuuuuuuut's wrong weeeith thaaaayit baaaawi? Yeeeeew nuaeed ta fatten heeeeyim up!" Lack of obesity is considered alarming, in Mississippi.

Shoes! "What do I do about shoes?!" The friend who was becoming our Decorator took me to a corner of that Steinmart, where there was a discount shoe place subletting. This friend had discovered Giorgio Brutini (made primarily for poor-but-high-bred South Americans, they offered a very chic shoe for the Semitic bone structure, without the giant American Clod-Hopper Heel, for very little money). "I found my first pair in Manhattan, last year. And there they are, for half-of-half, in Mississippi!"

Well, it was love at first sight. Those were my husband's first pleated pants, and his first socks that were long enough. ... and his first neckties and nice shirts. And, once I'd done the necessary repair work and ironing, and we went to a school function with him all dressed-up, he loved being the person in the suit. He did not want to be anyone else. I really think that my husband tailored his ambitions and strategies toward becoming that person full-time. I'm pretty-sure this was the motivation for his suffering through altering his posture and speech: to be sure he became CEO, and did not become stuck as just another lab technician in a back room, somewhere.

"He looks like Richard Gere!" (Maybe they'd never heard of Armani in Mississippi, but three years earlier, they had seen Armani on Gere, in American Gigolo - and while DH actually looked like a darker version of Mark Gastineau, rather than wimpy and underendowed little Richard Gere, it proved the clothes were doing their job). Nobody was carrying-on about me, chatting-up senators and former governors in my carefully-mended Saks silk Pucci gown. But that was OK. All these VIPs were beelining straight for us - the swarthy Model Minority couple - the perfect photo-op.

My husband stays hungry all the time. He has broccoli for breakfast. He has chard for lunch. He treasures what has become a sixteen-inch drop in his suits. He has ALL the body fat tests done - from calipers to Hydrostatic to whatever... Fat will not creep up on him, and force him into a larger waist size. His trainers work on keeping that upper body mass big, as we edge past age 50. Me, I just buy quality foundations, put in my daily two hours of exercise, and don't worry about it.

My husband suffers terribly from the heat. I think he begged me to leave the South, because he knew he'd be able to "be himself" (wear suits every day, year-round), if we lived in a better climate. Even up here, he wears unlined suits, in tropical weight fabrics (different from fabrics in the "Super-fine" fiber classifications: the weave is different, although it may include those fine fibres), in all but the coldest weather. In bad (hot) weather (or overheated buildings), he wears black loafer socks. He nearly always wears loafers (considered just as "formal" as lace-ups), and kicks his shoes off, under desks and conference tables, to help shed body heat. He never wears an undershirt (the "dress shirt" is properly considered the bottom layer), and really does not care whether someone sees his nipples, or his werewolf-hairy chest through the whisper-thin shirting fabric. Being able to take off the jacket is his insurance against overheating.

He ALWAYS wears a tie with a suit. He prefers thin silk or cotton over-the-calf socks from Battaglia or Bijan. He always has his trousers made with abundant pleating, and always with the 'Hollywood Waist'. He has some flat-fronts which were not bespoke, but saves them for times when he wants to distract and intimidate other men, for strategic purposes (the pleats normally hide that imposing aspect of his physical presence).

His shirts have necks big enough for his neck. Why is that so difficult? And he doesn't tighten his ties until they choke. Quite simple.

The silks of his ties feel wonderful. The fine cottons of his shirts feel wonderful. The fabrics of his suits feel wonderful. I know - from experience. We've had a few thousand quickies, at times, and in places, where his taking things off is out-of-the-question. Those silky silk ties definitely ADD to the experience, for the lucky female involved in these moments (me).

Most days, even Saturdays, my husband is in a suit, eleven of the sixteen hours he's awake. This is what he prefers. And this is who he is. I'll shuck-off my jewels, and jump into my Carhartts, and go on gardening marathons with the Grandes Dames of Portland. I'll muck-out stalls at the rodeo, or help our groundskeepers, or our Laundress, or workers completing an office complex we're building. I helped my friend Babette knock out walls, in a "Phony Colonial Redneck Doctor's Wife Dream Mansion" she's "de-Redneckifying", in Madison, Mississippi - on a late-night whim, just to see what was behind the walls, before she called in her design team. I do all kinds of things. My husband, however, only sits on boards, or oversees his own active business concerns. He has no hobbies. He likes to work in a suit, and he only likes social events where the other men are in suits. He's at the gym for three hours, and that's about it. He likes being The Man in the Beautiful Suit. He likes bodybuilding. I suppose the two are complementary facets of the totality. He was the scrawny, ugly boy, with the acne-ridden pizza face and the ringworm-scarred scalp. Now, he's something entirely different.

But, to answer the original question: YES! There are men who find suits very comfortable.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,669,139 times
My husband doesnt like suits either.. not sure why. If you get one that fits well, it shouldnt be much different then anything else.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,347,034 times
I wear suites everyday. If you were to wear suites everyday, after a while you would start having that uncomfortable feeling as well.

Quote:
I don't have too many occasions to wear a suit, but recently I spent all day at my sister-in-law's wedding in one, and at the end of the evening it occurred to me how comfortable I felt. I mean, ok, a suit and tie is not exactly sweatpants and a hoodie, but a well-cut suit from a soft lightweight fabric is pretty darn comfortable.

Obviously they're not good for crawling around on the ground or heavy exertion, and not a good choice for hot and humid weather, but otherwise, what's the big deal?

Agree or disagree?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,389 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You're missing the main reason for neckties. They serve as some kind of ridiculous "better-than-you" badge, in that the person wearing one is supposed to be more competent, knowledgeable, or authoritative, than the person who is not.

I really, really, HATE neckties.

And bow ties are even worse than regular ties.
I think that has changed greatly in recent times. When I see the rare person in a suit or tie the rest of us have a look like "that poor guy has to wear a suit and tie!" with sympathy.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:34 AM

9,999 posts, read 4,220,822 times
Quote:
I actually kind of wish I had more occasions to wear a necktie, but I'm weird I guess.
Become a Jehovahs Witness

Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 AM

9,999 posts, read 4,220,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think that has changed greatly in recent times. When I see the rare person in a suit or tie the rest of us have a look like "that poor guy has to wear a suit and tie!" with sympathy.
Exactly. I almost never see anyone wearing a suit and tie at my work, industry, or even city for the most part.

The only people who I've seen still wearing suits are door-to-door salesmen (the ones suckered into commission-only selling things like office supplies and silverware by scammy job ads), Jehovahs Witnesses, and out-of-touch interviewees who tend to project a desperate vibe (I'm not saying this to be malicious, but from what I've seen, their interviewing style is very dated, and they tend to be the ones borderline begging for jobs).

These are all groups I honestly sort of feel sorry for. :/

Old 05-15-2015, 03:32 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
A well-made, well-fitting suit should be comfortable. Obviously it's not pajamas but it should not be torture. A cheap ill-fitting suit will most likely be uncomfortable.

Personally, I get my shirt collars a little wide. Makes the tie feel like it isn't even there.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:12 PM

7,325 posts, read 3,750,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
mens suits are not comfortable, any man that says it is comfortable has a few screws loose.
Then I must have more than just a few loose, I must have a whole drawer full.

I love wearing suits, a nicely pressed shirt and a cool tie. I can wear such an ensemble all day and all night without the slightest since of discomfort.

I think, from casual observation. that most men are absolutely clueless when it comes to buying and having a suit tailored for fit. The only downside to me is that because of the cost, I have to be more careful about what I do while wearing one (no wipe you hands on your suit pants like you would with a pair of jeans).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or