Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times

Advertisements

I don't have too many occasions to wear a suit, but recently I spent all day at my sister-in-law's wedding in one, and at the end of the evening it occurred to me how comfortable I felt. I mean, ok, a suit and tie is not exactly sweatpants and a hoodie, but a well-cut suit from a soft lightweight fabric is pretty darn comfortable.

Obviously they're not good for crawling around on the ground or heavy exertion, and not a good choice for hot and humid weather, but otherwise, what's the big deal?

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My husband doesn't like to wear a tie because he hates to button the top button of a shirt, but otherwise he likes wearing a suit or a blazer in cold weather. In hot weather it's less comfortable.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Wearing a suit without a tie is indeed comfortable, as long as it's not an outdoor wedding or event and 85 degrees out. Wearing one every day to work is another matter, but it's not comfort. I did it for 17 years, and it's having to spend $300+ for each suit, buying enough shirts and socks to go with them in various combinations, the cost of frequent dry cleaning, and having to change every day when you get home before you can do anything else. For a wedding I'll even put on a tie but it's only a few hours with a tight neck. I could never understand any reason for wearing ties other than making money for the places that sell them, who change the style from wide to thin and back again over the years so you have to keep buying new ones.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I could never understand any reason for wearing ties other than making money for the places that sell them, who change the style from wide to thin and back again over the years so you have to keep buying new ones.

You're missing the main reason for neckties. They serve as some kind of ridiculous "better-than-you" badge, in that the person wearing one is supposed to be more competent, knowledgeable, or authoritative, than the person who is not.

I really, really, HATE neckties.

And bow ties are even worse than regular ties.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:24 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
I actually kind of wish I had more occasions to wear a necktie, but I'm weird I guess.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I've never had a suit that was UNcomfortable. But, I'm female, and don't as a rule wear ties with suits, either. I wouldn't wear clothing that was horribly uncomfortable. But that hasn't really come up with dress attire.

There's a continuum of comfort. Is a suit going to be as comfortable as elastic-waisted fleece pajama pants or a silk robe? Unlikely. But that doesn't mean one should be in discomfort wearing it.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
A nice well cut suit either male or female is slimming and hides a lot of sins.. I like them..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I wear a button down shirt, wool slacks, tie, and sport coat almost every day. On the days I don't, it's a suit (maybe 3 times a month). It's all good quality clothes and is fit to me, so it's all comfortable and looks good.

But, I get why people don't feel comfortable in suits. Although I wear them a good deal, comfortable is not how I would describe a suit. I mean OP, put one on and lift your arms. Does that feel good? Suit = formal, jeans/chinos - casual. Formal is not comfortable, casual is. I like the way I look and feel in a suit, but it's not something I would call comfortable.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:50 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I don't have too many occasions to wear a suit, but recently I spent all day at my sister-in-law's wedding in one, and at the end of the evening it occurred to me how comfortable I felt. I mean, ok, a suit and tie is not exactly sweatpants and a hoodie, but a well-cut suit from a soft lightweight fabric is pretty darn comfortable.

Obviously they're not good for crawling around on the ground or heavy exertion, and not a good choice for hot and humid weather, but otherwise, what's the big deal?

Agree or disagree?
I don't mind it unless it's really hotand I have to be outside. People who abhorr of suits rend to be the kind of people who decide which car to by according to the number of cup holders.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
I prefer not to wear suit because it limits my movement. I don't know whether that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty