U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM

801 posts, read 1,118,750 times

Advertisements

I'm an average-looking 51 year-old woman who is fairly slender, at 5'8" and 136lb. I have many imperfections, and accept them because I'm honestly not vain. But I truly loathe my huge calves! I am athletic and hike a lot, but am so self-conscious that I never wear dresses or skirts and wear shorts only if the heat is absolutely unbearable. It's not something that can be fixed by surgery or losing weight or exercise. I have trouble finding boots to fit too. It's pretty embarrassing when my calves are as big around as my husband's thighs! How does one cope with an issue like this...long skirts and dresses? Sigh. Just venting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:21 PM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I'm an average-looking 51 year-old woman who is fairly slender, at 5'8" and 136lb. I have many imperfections, and accept them because I'm honestly not vain. But I truly loathe my huge calves! I am athletic and hike a lot, but am so self-conscious that I never wear dresses or skirts and wear shorts only if the heat is absolutely unbearable. It's not something that can be fixed by surgery or losing weight or exercise. I have trouble finding boots to fit too. It's pretty embarrassing when my calves are as big around as my husband's thighs! How does one cope with an issue like this...long skirts and dresses? Sigh. Just venting.....
Big calves? Many would KILL for well-developed calves! You are probably being over critical of yourself. I have fairly well-developed calves, but don't consider mine overly large - I get lots of compliments on them - men seem to really admire good calves! By the way I too am 5'8" but weight 148, and have pretty good muscle tone from working out. I don't like being stick-thin, especially since I am now in my 60s.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 PM

8,543 posts, read 11,872,774 times
One thing I don't like on women is skinny calves.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,165,907 times
Stop fighting it. Just give up and become a professional soccer player.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 AM

1,381 posts, read 650,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
One thing I don't like on women is skinny calves.
Definitely agree...no skinny calves.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Whenever I feel like a portion of my body is too big or too small, I keep in mind the people who no longer have those parts due to them being amputated or blown off by an IED.

That keeps me thankful for the body that I have, even if it's not ideal.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 AM

300 posts, read 606,742 times
I hear ya'! I have both heavy calves and large ankles ("cankles)! Even at my most skinniest times they were large. I don't wear shorts and only wear long skirts or shorter ones with boots or tights. You can definitely find great boots for large calves - just google it. You will see a broad price, style, and quality range so you should find something that you like. I've also found that stores like Macy's and Lane Bryant carry them in the stores. (I also have large wrists - so I love Lane Bryant for bracelets and boots!)

Also - check out this article - Dressing Tips To Slim Heavy Calves and Ankles | Fabulous After 40 There are some great tips!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 AM

5,263 posts, read 2,876,587 times
Oh man. I think muscular calves are awesome. It's my favorite part of my body, personally. My butt muscles are super tough and my calf muscles are super tough, too. What about your calves makes you so self conscious, I wonder? Do you feel as if they're disproportionate or something? I would think you would feel proud of your muscular, athletic legs. I doubt anyone else is looking at them and thinking that they should be something other than what they are.

I'm not sure there's anything anyone can say to you to make you change your mind. You might just need to rework your thinking and tell yourself that your muscular calves are what allow you to hike and bike and transport yourself wherever you want or need to go. You might stop thinking of them as something to be ashamed of at some point. I hope so!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
I have amazing calves but tiny ankles that I'm really self-conscious about. I can't bring myself to buy sandals that wrap around the ankle because I'm so worried they'll just draw attention to them.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:03 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
if the calves are your only issue in life, you are a lucky woman. You lived with them for 51 years and passed the miniskirt time a long time ago.

How many people do you come across when you hike? 3? 4? And you think they stare at your calves?

1. wear socks that cover the calves when you wear shorts.
2. boots - there MUST be some boots that fit, you are not the only one with the calve "problem"
3. There are super light long pants
3. wear a bright pink little scarf that makes everybody focus on your neck instead

There are tons of overweight women who wear tight shirts, where you can count their rolls and they even seem to be proud of it. If they are not ashamed, you shouldn't be ashamed of some nice, big calves either.

Happy hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty