U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,041,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Healthy or not, women are that size - and larger - and deserve to see clothing in their sizes modeled by women who wear those sizes.
Healthy or not, women are anorexic as well. Do they also deserve to see anorexic models? It's just a weird notion to me. If companies want to offer anorexic and morbidly obese models, that's on them. It's the opposite sides of the same coin. IMO you can't honestly condemn them for using anorexic models while championing the use of morbidly obese models as a basic right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 AM

944 posts, read 769,359 times
I hear lots of women say that they wish there were more models their size to model the clothing. Well, some companies did try this method. When the average looking model wore the clothes, women did not want to buy the clothes. When the clothes were put back on the supermodel, women were more inclined to buy them because the clothes look good on the supermodel.

Works the same way with mannequins you see in stores. I used to own a clothing store, and I chose the mannequin with the most attractive figure. I doubt that many people would like the clothes hung on a bigger sized mannequin. It's called marketing, and it just won't look as nice.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM

5,046 posts, read 599,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lane Bryant uses models sized 10-16 like the other plus sized brands. No one uses models above size 20, even if that is their average size.
i was told by someone who worked for Lane Bryant that they used at least size 14 models because they carried clothes size 14-28. (This was in the 90's, I think.) The reason that so many of their poster models looked thinner is that they were all VERY tall.

As I think most people know, the same size and outfit on a 5'10" woman looks a LOT different than on a 5'2" woman.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,338,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I know people should be taught to be "comfortable in their own skin" and confident, but wow. this is not something that should be encouraged or celebrated. I see way too many fat people that are overconfident to the point where it is obnoxious. just another unfortunate side effect of the fat acceptance movement. thickheaded, arrogant obese people that don't see any reason to improve their health. this right here is honey boo boo in 20 years, except she will be chasing the ice cream truck down the street in her souped up motorized cart. seriously, this looks like a lingerie ad from a pie eating contest at an Alabama trailerpark. what is up with all the tattoos?

yeah, I can find plus size models attractive with a few extra pounds attractive, but not supersize models. this is not okay. in about 10 years, her health will catch up to her and she will be paying the piper for this. but this is more than 30% of America that is morbidly obese like this. this is not about having "positive body image", it is about eventually becoming a drain on the medical system and contributing to the already skyrocketing ridiculous health care costs.
I agree. I have nothing against plus size women and I want everyone to love themselves and feel comfortable but she is unhealthy and she looks unhealthy and this shouldn't be celebrated. It's not an accomplishment to be fat. It shouldn't be shamed but it also shouldn't be promoted. I would never want to be as big as Tess and in my family we have a joke that if we ever get that fat to shoot us. I think it's an accomplishment to eat healthy, work out, and take care of yourself despite all the temptation and things that enable us to be lazy and sloth like in this society. I walk everywhere that I can. I lift. I work out. I eat right. I only drink water and I pass up on a lot of things I would love to eat. When I really want something i will eat it with no big deal. But it's definitely not fun having to work out when I'm tired as h*ll from working, grad school and parenting. But I do it regardless. I try to move as much as possible-not just because I like how j look physically because I work out, but I'm healthy, and I feel good after. I would love if we could promote healthy more to girls-and no I don't mean super fit muscular woman or super thin women but women that are within the right body range for the height, that work out, take care of themselves and wear healthy sizes-(4 to size 10)--women that are of various body shapes but that look nice and look healthy and arent lumped into these extremes.

I'm against fat shaming because I don't know if it works anyway but I'm not with this fat promotion movement going on either because quite frankly it's unhealthy in the long run, and for a lot of people it looks unattractive. The latter doesnt matter as much because beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I'd be lying if I said that I don't appreciate seeing an attractive healthy looking woman on the cover of a mag instead of a woman thst makes me feel so uncomfortable that I want to starve myself for days because I don't ever want to get that big and have that many lumpy rolls on my body.

I remember when thick used to mean bigger then average but still healthy with a flat stomach and toned thicker legs and a nice a$$. Nowadays I google the word thick and all I see is women that look like Tess. That is not thick. That's fat. Curvy used to mean women with wide hips and small waists and either big bosoms or big butts. Now curvy means plus size. I mean we keep adjusting language that sounds flattering and was once used to describe sexiness and we're associating it with women that look unhealthy and fat. The more we promote this the fatter women get.

I don't think women need to be degraded being big but it should not be a celebration-especially keeping in mind the price that will be paid for being unhealthy over a long period of time. Im sorry if I've offended anyone but I just think it needs to be said. And on the same end I don't care for kim k and all the fat injections and plastic surgery Her and her sisters get while trying to pretend they look like natural women. They're plastic creations and dont represent the average women. H@ll I have a Kim K booty and a flatter waist so I like that she's inflated the a$$ movement but in the process you have all these women going through unnatural processes to look like her. That isn't healthy either.

Let's see REAL women with real healthy bodies that are within the right weight range for height. Too bad in this society we only like extremes.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,286,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Healthy or not, women are anorexic as well. Do they also deserve to see anorexic models? It's just a weird notion to me. If companies want to offer anorexic and morbidly obese models, that's on them. It's the opposite sides of the same coin. IMO you can't honestly condemn them for using anorexic models while championing the use of morbidly obese models as a basic right.
I agree with this post. You can't condemn companies for using models that are too thin, while being for the use of obese models.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
If this began and ended with the notion of modeling clothes for obese women that would be one thing. But this morbidly obese woman is held up as some paragon of healthy body image by people who also put down thin women at every turn. It's dangerous and hypocritical. Promoting obesity and putting down thin women is not promoting a healthy body image it's encouraging poor health and poor decisions while also telling skinny women and girls that their bodies are bad.
And it makes me absolutely sick that obese people like this model compare the insults they endure to the treatment gay people receive from bigots. You make a choice every day to be morbidly obese, you're not born that way.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM

3,417 posts, read 2,895,243 times
Now, here is plus size runway modeling done right. The OP in this thread referred to Tess as being a "plus sized runway phenom" which is hilariously wrong and ridiculous.

What plus sized modeling is supposed to look like. When you see this, you see beautiful women who are larger than most, but your attention is on the clothing and how fantastic it looks, your attention is NOT on the model. Had they had Tess walk the runway immediately attention would be on her and her obesity, not on the clothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXPcDGOvKc

Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,876,587 times
Tess is on the cover of People magazine, so I guess she's probably doing okay for herself.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Tess is on the cover of People magazine, so I guess she's probably doing okay for herself.
She is right now, but for how long? Between the extreme morbid obesity and the ugly tats, I think she will be a flash-in-the-pan so to speak. On the other hand, those plus-size models in the video KingsGambit posted look really nice. They are truly what I call "plus-size" and yet look healthy, sexy and beautiful. I think those are the sizes women want to see.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,876,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
She is right now, but for how long? Between the extreme morbid obesity and the ugly tats, I think she will be a flash-in-the-pan so to speak. On the other hand, those plus-size models in the video KingsGambit posted look really nice. They are truly what I call "plus-size" and yet look healthy, sexy and beautiful. I think those are the sizes women want to see.
Who knows "how long?" How long is any model's career?
I think Tess looks really nice, too. I accept that some people think she's not attractive. But there are plenty of people who do think she's lovely... just like with any model, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty