U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think it is a bit debatable that it is no one else's business. We all pay for health insurance, it effects all of us. At times we all pay for the inconvenience of someone who is obese. When I pay for a $300 seat I don't want someone else's body overflowing into my seat.
That may be true, but we all pay for and deal with things that don't apply to us. That's part of society. I pay taxes into the education system but don't have children. I pay the higher insurance rates but don't take part in the fraudulent claims that cause them to go up. And when I pay for a $300 seat on an airplane, I don't want to hear someone else's child screaming or babbling incessantly, but guess what? I put up with it. And I also put up with sitting beside overweight/obese people because really, there are better things to do than make people feel bad or make myself miserable by focusing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't get it. What does the fake health concerns have to do with her getting paid to wear clothing in her size. Whatever! The ads she is modeling in are for clothing. The only thing they are promoting is "stylish clothing." There is no health message. Or "lifestyle message." If you think she is unattractive or the clothes are you can turn the page!

This is my big beef with the universe. Whether or not you think she is attractive, unattractive, too big, too small, too whatever it has absolutely no bearing on her ability to showcase clothing in her size. Why is this an issue?
That's my thing, too. Obese women have to wear clothes, too. They can get a better idea of what will fit and what will look good on them if they see someone of a similar size wearing it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
And yet thin models are a command declared to all women and girls that they must be anorexic. It's an absurd double standard and people here are talking about this model in this context because she and others say that she is a role model to women and girls while also putting down thinner, healthier women and girls.
Well, I don't approve of that, either. I've actually read that most of the "body acceptance" people are really against that too, although I'm not a part of that online community and don't really know.

Still, I do think that these insults are sometimes a defense mechanism. Yes, when you put someone else down, it's often because you don't feel comfortable with yourself. I think some fat women put down skinny women because it helps them feel better about themselves. I think some average size women put down skinny women because they feel as if they could/should be working harder to be thinner themselves. I think some thin women put down bigger women because they can't stand to see someone who they see as a failure being accepted...so, if it's okay to be fat, why have they been working so hard on being thin for? I think some want to be constantly reminded that they are doing the right thing by working to be the size that they are.

At the end of the day, I'd rather just avoid putting people down based on their appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
It's about more than putting down women for their weight. Women like this obese model and all the people who thrust her forward as a role model are telling people that it's great to be unhealthy and everyone has to accept that it's equal to being healthy. It's not, and this "movement" is based purely on laziness and surrender. It takes effort to be as fat as Tess Holliday. She has to eat a lot, every day, and do very little physical activity to maintain her weight. She makes a choice every day to be unhealthy and it's not something she can't do anything about. Supporting her weight and her choices as being equal to the choices of fit, healthy people is on the same level of stupidity and recklessness as telling everyone to do crystal meth because it's the same as taking vitamins.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 PM

27,494 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Scooby.. I am not sure you "got" what workingman was saying.
Surely it cannot be denied that male designers, make-up artists, hairdressers, etc. are overwhelmingly gay. They represent a potent force in the fashion industry, which is dominated by their tastes.

And of course gay men are not attracted to women, REAL women!
So they transform us into bosomless teenage boys, a far more appealing esthetic for their sensibilities.
This notion is neither original nor bizarre, but rarely is articulated in public.

I am sure you are no stranger to gay male put-downs of women's bodies and looks, especially lesbians.
I sure am not.

No. They do it because fashion looks best on models who are essentially animated hangers. They highlight the clothes best.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No. They do it because fashion looks best on models who are essentially animated hangers. They highlight the clothes best.
I don't think gay male designers choose super-thin women because they find their "boy-like" bodies more attractive.

I think they aren't distracted by boobs and butts like straight men are, so they choose those who make their clothes look best, not those who they personally find attractive.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
It's about more than putting down women for their weight. Women like this obese model and all the people who thrust her forward as a role model are telling people that it's great to be unhealthy and everyone has to accept that it's equal to being healthy. It's not, and this "movement" is based purely on laziness and surrender. It takes effort to be as fat as Tess Holliday. She has to eat a lot, every day, and do very little physical activity to maintain her weight. She makes a choice every day to be unhealthy and it's not something she can't do anything about. Supporting her weight and her choices as being equal to the choices of fit, healthy people is on the same level of stupidity and recklessness as telling everyone to do crystal meth because it's the same as taking vitamins.
Who said she is a role model?

When you hear names like Abbey Lee Kershaw, Ana Hickmann or Caroline Winberg, do you instantly think of "role models?" Probably not, but they are Victoria's Secret models.

Tess Holliday is a MODEL. A PLUS-SIZE MODEL. A woman who models PLUS-SIZE clothing for PLUS-SIZE stores/lines that PLUS-SIZE women look at and buy.

If everyone would stop acting like it's such a big deal, she could go on to do what she intended to do in the first place....model PLUS-SIZE clothing for PLUS-SIZE people in PLUS-SIZE catalogs and on PLUS-SIZE websites.

She's not making speeches at elementary schools about how being big is in. She's not picketing in front of gyms and telling people to stop working out so that they can be fat instead. She's not on the newest McDonald's commercial, begging people to come in and gorge themselves every day so they can look like her.

Again, she is a PLUS-SIZE WOMAN who is modeling PLUS-SIZE clothing for a PLUS-SIZE market.

Don't worry, people, you won't have to choke on your coffee when you're perusing the JC Penney ad from the Sunday paper next weekend. She'll be properly hidden on the PLUS-SIZE website for Torrid (WHICH SPECIALIZES IN PLUS-SIZE CLOTHING), so you'll only find her work if you are shopping for PLUS-SIZE clothing.

For some reason, people like you think she's so INTERESTING that she's in the media. It's just so crazy that a PLUS-SIZE woman is modeling PLUS-SIZE clothing for PLUS-SIZE people that you just can't stand it. It has to cause a media frenzy that there is actually a FAT CHICK out there modeling clothing for OTHER FAT CHICKS.

GIVE IT A REST ALREADY.

The people who are seeing her in ads are ALREADY OVERWEIGHT/OBESE. Got that? Tess Holliday didn't make them that way.

Do you seriously think that ONE fat girl among thousands of skinny girls in the media is REALLY going to make our world SOOOOO unhealthy, or are you just offended that someone can be herself without being torched?

Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Ikmax, why don't you follow the thread before getting testy? The article in the OP puts her forward as a role model, going so far as to call her a "savior." She puts herself forward as some sort of civil rights warrior, putting obesity on the same level homosexuality. And everyone that puts her forward as a role model or icon of body acceptance, including herself, also puts down thin models.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Quote:
Ikmax, why don't you follow the thread before getting testy? The article in the OP puts her forward as a role model, going so far as to call her a "savior." She puts herself forward as some sort of civil rights warrior, putting obesity on the same level homosexuality. And everyone that puts her forward as a role model or icon of body acceptance, including herself, also puts down thin models.
I'm pretty sure you can think it's fine to have a size 22 model without it meaning that you're putting down thin models. People come in all shapes and sizes and it makes sense to have models who are different sizes too.

There is a lot of discrimination against the obese. Maybe it makes sense to compare it to homosexuality...some people think that's a choice and others don't. Same goes for obesity...people who aren't obese think it's very easy to choose to be thin and that someone must have chosen to be overweight, but it's just not that simple for a lot of people.

I don't think Tess Holliday is very nice-looking. I wish that if someone were going to call herself the role model of fat girls, she would be prettier. But she serves a purpose. It's not to spread fat acceptance, exactly. Nobody fat wakes up every morning yelling, "Yay, I'm so fat! I love my body! It's amazing!!!" Most obese people have a certain amount of self-loathing. That feeling can make it difficult or impossible to make a positive change. Maybe some of those girls are looking at Tess Holliday and feeling more positive about themselves, and maybe that will lead them to healthier choices.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:12 AM

3,418 posts, read 2,897,062 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Everyone? Are you sure about that?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Every single sentence in this paragraph is incorrect. Amazing.

Quote:
And everyone that puts her forward as a role model or icon of body acceptance, including herself, also puts down thin models.
How did you leap to that [erroneous] conclusion?? Hope you don't hurt yourself on the way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty