U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
I can't celebrate this.

While she is pretty and she carries her weight relatively well, she's much too big. 5'3'' and a size 22? No ma'am. And it's not about beauty standards, either, it's about what's healthy. And people deliberately try to mix those two up. I'm definitely not advocating calling her names. But she's going to have a host of weight related health issues in a few years, if she doesn't already. If she does want to have children, statistically, she'll have a hard time conceiving. Diabetes. High Blood pressure. Joint issues. Breathing problems. The list goes on.

What I'm seeing is retailers realizing that there is money to be made catering to heavier set women, so they hired her. Not because the fashion industry has suddenly become enlightened about varying body types. Not because they're trying to be all inclusive. They're seeing dollar signs. End of story.

I find it ironic that the article mentioned the fashion industry has refused to hire models below a certain BMI and has started to have healthy foods on set when shooting in an effort to promote healthier body image, all while gushing about how awesome it is to present an equally unhealthy image.

Nope.

She's not really heavy enough to have trouble conceiving because of her weight. But as far as I know, you don't have to be fertile to be a model. I'd guess that some of the severely underweight models would have trouble conceiving at their weights also.

It doesn't really matter if it's about dollar signs or being all inclusive. Plus sized women buy a lot of clothes and it's reasonable to expect to see those clothes on models that are bigger than a size 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM

15,596 posts, read 9,664,364 times
When I went to that site I expected to see a pretty, but slightly overweight woman, but I was shocked to see a grossly overweight woman with ugly tatoos all over her.

Nothing attractive about her in the least. There are some very beautiful women who are heavy, but she ain't one of them !

Don

Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I went to that site I expected to see a pretty, but slightly overweight woman, but I was shocked to see a grossly overweight woman with ugly tatoos all over her.

Nothing attractive about her in the least. There are some very beautiful women who are heavy, but she ain't one of them !

Don
Oh, so it would have been okay if she were fat, just not TOO fat? Where is the line drawn?

Also, since she models women's clothing, I doubt you, as a man, are her target audience.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:14 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,369,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If you think gay men are attracted to women with boyish bodies, you need to look up the definition of homosexual in the dictionary. Read it and learn. (HINT: Gay men are attracted to other men. Otherwise they would be attracted to women, and therefore be called STRAIGHT). Now that was easy
Scooby.. I am not sure you "got" what workingman was saying.
Surely it cannot be denied that male designers, make-up artists, hairdressers, etc. are overwhelmingly gay. They represent a potent force in the fashion industry, which is dominated by their tastes.

And of course gay men are not attracted to women, REAL women!
So they transform us into bosomless teenage boys, a far more appealing esthetic for their sensibilities.
This notion is neither original nor bizarre, but rarely is articulated in public.

I am sure you are no stranger to gay male put-downs of women's bodies and looks, especially lesbians.
I sure am not.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:16 PM

227 posts, read 151,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She's not really heavy enough to have trouble conceiving because of her weight. But as far as I know, you don't have to be fertile to be a model. I'd guess that some of the severely underweight models would have trouble conceiving at their weights also.

It doesn't really matter if it's about dollar signs or being all inclusive. Plus sized women buy a lot of clothes and it's reasonable to expect to see those clothes on models that are bigger than a size 12.

And you're right. What I found disturbing is the slant the article is taking. They mentioned how anorexic models promote an unhealthy ideal (although there are women that as the same size as those models, without having an eating disorder), but the article, to me, was doing the same with obesity, which is just as unhealthy. Like it's ok to be that big, at that height and age. No, it's not. I'm not saying she's ugly, because she's not. I'm not disgusted by her. I guess my problem lies with the Eff Your Beauty Standards campaign. It may sound like I'm concern trolling, but I promise, I'm sincere. It's not about stepping outside the box of preconceived beauty standards, like having models of varying ethnicities or older men and women walking the runways and posing for magazines. This is completely different because this is a health issue. 5'3'' and a size 22 at such a young age is not a triumph, and it's not something to be applauded. I'm not saying she needs to be 110lbs.

To be fair, society needs to work on its approach to obesity. Obese people are either ignored, gawked at like sideshow attractions or verbally abused. We talk about the problems of obesity, but we treat obese people like they're less than human. If you want people to get healthy, you have to approach them like they're people. And I guess that what's happening with this campaign. People are tired of being treated like they're dirt, so they say 'you know what, I'm fine the way I am, I don't need to loose weight'. Which isn't helping anyone in the long run.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 746 times
Well Holliday I have something to say about that. If you are happy about who you are, whatever that looks like who gives a fudge sickle. If your weight is not a life threatening issue then just be you. It's not all about what's on the outside. I love beautiful people that are using their God given talents to better this world we live in. People that look at others and judge them by what they see are ignorant and need to do some serious soul searching. I know some very sexy plus size women, and some Hott Big Teddy Bears that I would snuggle up to anytime. No one should be made to feel anything but beautiful. God made us all different for a reason, for a purpose. I have dealt with that kind of thing my whole life. Except I'm on the other end. I have had four children, I eat and eat and eat and I can't gain a pound. Iv'e been called twiggy, bean pole,stick figure you name it. Even my family says those things to me. Every time someone sees me that I haven't seen for a while they say "OMG your so skinny" with this disgusted look on their face. Or "OMG you make me sick" would you eat something already. It has made me feel bad about myself most of my life and they don't even realize it. My 11 year old daughter and I are the same size, pants, bra everything. I have spent most of my life trying to gain weight. Grow some boobs, they only touch each other when I'm breastfeeding. I don't know what it feels like to be you, but people that judge and say those things need to take a good look at them selves.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,409,248 times
Well, as a self-proclaimed lover of big women, I'm extremely impressed - this BBW model is gorgeous. She has exactly the type of body type I like.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM

2,494 posts, read 1,854,719 times
I think the issue is when people are outraged over obese people with confidence (even if it's a bit foolish) but don't complain that loudly over super-skinny models. They'll say that "too skinny" and "too fat" are both problematic, but don't really mean it. They only have an issue with plus-sized acceptance but will soften their argument by criticizing skinny Minnie's to sound nuanced.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 PM

3,420 posts, read 2,899,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Healthy or not, women are that size - and larger - and deserve to see clothing in their sizes modeled by women who wear those sizes.
I totally agree with you, but I dont think that she should be put out there as someone to be celebrated. We need to be promoting healthy lifestyles and body images for our youth, NOT "be happy with however you are". It should be "strive to be happy, healthy and fit" not "oh look, an obese model" it totally sends the wrong message to everyone out there in the world except for the obese people like her.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,288,335 times
Many women ARE large in today's world, but I am sorry it is not something to be proud of. The incidences of disease caused by being overweight is increasing in this country. There is really no reason to be that heavy unless you have a condition that causes it. Should an overweight woman be ashamed and hide? No, of course not, but she should work on getting healthier for her own sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty