U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:55 PM

3,418 posts, read 2,897,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, that's nice, but how do you propose to serve the market without putting a pretty outfit on a model and having her look beautiful and happy? Is that too much celebration for you, or should the models look grumpy and wear sackcloth?
Lane Bryant has always had big women modeling their clothes and it was fine. I think this Tess gal promotes an extremely unhealthy body and lifestyle. There is no way she is a "phenom" as the OP says, and no way should she be put forth as some kind of champion of the obese, which is what it sounds like obese people are doing with her. She's not too far off from being "My 400lb Life" obese, and people want to say "you go girl!!" to her? Please.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 05-17-2015 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Lane Bryant has always had big women modeling their clothes and it was fine. I thin this Tess gal promotes an extremely unhealthy body and lifestyle. There is no way she is a "phenom" as the OP says, and no way should she be put forth as some kind of champion of the obese, which is what it sounds like obese people are doing with her. She's not too far off from being "My 400lb Life" obese, and people want to say "you go girl!!" to her? Please.
Lane Bryant uses models sized 10-16 like the other plus sized brands. No one uses models above size 20, even if that is their average size.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Lane Bryant has always had big women modeling their clothes and it was fine.
Lane Bryant has never used plus-sized models.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 PM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Lane Bryant uses plus sized models....they just don't use jumbo sized models.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I, for one, don't believe that she is a size 22. After I had my daughter, I was in a size 22 for a while. When I look at photos of myself from that time and compare them to her, there's no way she's a 22. I'm about her height and big boned and looked much thinner than that. Thankfully, these days, while I still have a way to go, I'm much thinner. I think she needs to be honest about her actual size. Why does she have a problem admitting that she is bigger than what she claims?

I, too, find her tats to be very distracting and not at all attractive. In fact, the tats have the effect of drawing one's eyes to them rather than the outfits she is wearing, IMO.
Ya know, I'm not completely against this. A friend of mine wears a size 18/20, and although based off of her size, you would think she's morbidly obese, she's not. She's definitely overweight and maybe even "slighty" obese (if there is such a thing), but she is actually "wide" but has a relatively flat stomach, reasonably-sized arms and legs...I would definitely think that Tess Holliday is more than one or two sizes bigger than her. Yet, she carries her weight rather evenly throughout her body and is a lot taller than Tess Holliday (I'm 5'8", and she's maybe an inch or so taller than me, while Tess is 5'3", I think).

Plus, more expensive brands are often sized differently. I've noticed the difference...I wear a small or medium in Michael Kors, a medium at JC Penney, but I bought a summer dress from Maxway (like Rose's, probably only a step above Family Dollar, honestly) and had to buy a large to get the fit that I wanted and honestly could have gotten an XL to allow for shrinkage, since the cheap brands do seem to shrink more. I think we all know that women's sizes are all over the place...

Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Who considers models "role models?" I don't. They're human clothes hangers.

Tess calls herself "fat." I don't think she's trying to convince anyone that she's not fat. She exists the way she exists. Just because she's making money as a model doesn't mean she is recommending that other people emulate her. That's the way I see it, anyway. She's certainly not saying, "Being fat is SO much better than NOT being fat." She is simply modeling clothing for a size of person who hasn't really been considered until now. She doesn't deserve the hatred that she gets from online trolls, that's for sure. Some of the comments posted on her page are just downright evil. It's pretty sad.
Right?

For one thing, let's please remember that we are talking to/about a human being. If she did despicable things that harmed others, it would be one thing, but let's remember that people get on her Instagram and spew the nastiest hatred that you have ever seen, all because she is overweight. It's ridiculous because I would imagine that many of these people have family members, friends, co-workers, someone that they care about who is also overweight, whether at her level or not. It's not necessary to spew so much hatred toward someone because of their weight.

Also, I would agree that she isn't telling others to put on the pounds so they can look like her. All she's saying is that, yes, I'm fat, but I'm still fabulous, and I'll model plus size clothing for plus size women without apologizing for it. Is that really so bad? Is one fat chick in a catalog or on a website going to turn the whole world fat?

Quote:
Lane Bryant has always had big women modeling their clothes and it was fine. I think this Tess gal promotes an extremely unhealthy body and lifestyle. There is no way she is a "phenom" as the OP says, and no way should she be put forth as some kind of champion of the obese, which is what it sounds like obese people are doing with her. She's not too far off from being "My 400lb Life" obese, and people want to say "you go girl!!" to her? Please.
Champion of the obese? What does that even mean?

The point isn't to say, "you go, girl!" for being obese. It's to say, "you go, girl!," for not letting her weight get in the way of her feeling good about herself. She models plus-size clothing. She isn't pressing her agenda on non-fat people. She's modeling clothing for people who are already fat. I can pretty much promise you that Tess Holliday isn't going to encourage thin people to get fat or even encourage fat people not to lose weight. It's just...hey...you don't have to hate yourself just because of your weight.

I don't understand what some people want. Are fat people supposed to hide out in their homes, outside of the view of "regular folk," and hate themselves until they lose weight?

I hope everyone who feels this way is perfect. I have my own issues in my life that can work on; I just don't have to wear a label about them that everyone can see and judge every time that someone sees me.

Do you feel this much hatred toward people who drink more than the recommended amount each day, or who eat an unhealthy diet and avoid exercise but who aren't fat...yet? What about people who get in the tanning bed each day and smoke cigarettes, like me? Do you hate me because I walk around in public with a tan and a cigarette in my hand, promoting unhealthy behavior? Or can you see me as a person who might do unhealthy things? What if I didn't tan and didn't smoke but was fat instead? Would you hate me then?

Do you speed? That's unhealthy and dangerous and puts other people at risk more than being fat does. It sets a bad example for young drivers on the road.

If you have excuses for why those things are "different" but want to harp on this woman's weight because it is 'unhealthy," then you are concern trolling. You're disguising your disgust for her weight as "concern" when you could really give a **** less, you just don't want to have to look at people like that and think she is visually unappealing. How rude and uncalled for. She's not asking you to date or screw her.

Again, if you want to judge this woman or anyone in this world who is trying to live their life without hurting others, I hope you're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Lane Bryant uses plus sized models....they just don't use jumbo sized models.
What about jumbo sized people? Don't they deserve to see what clothing will look like on them? People talk about fat people wearing unflattering or unappealing clothing, but maybe if they had models who were wearing similar styles, they could get a better idea of what it looks like on them and could pick more stylish and flattering styles.

Last edited by lkmax; 05-17-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

10,862 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
She cannot be happy. People stare at you, not because you are pretty but because you are fat. You can't fit in some places. You can't fit in a movie theatre seat or a regular airplane seat to name a few things. If she has a kid, she can't possible run and play with him properly--don't think she could fit down a sliding board or swing on a swing with the child.

She cannot possible reach in some places on her body to have proper hygiene. With folds of fat it produces skin fungi.

Oh I am certain she is happy in some areas of her life, but it has to be hell in other areas.

She's not large enough for those kinds of problems. She can fit in the seat at the movie theater or the airplane seat. And I'm sure she can reach everywhere on her body to clean herself. Right now, I'm smaller than she is but at one point I was much larger. I'll tell you from personal experience that it was possible to do everything when I was about 300lbs...fit in chairs, run with my kids, go down the slide, jump rope, fit in the seats at the movie theater (even the small seats before they all started getting the oversize seats that recline), etc.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
What's unique about her is that her face didn't distort from so much weight. She has a gorgeous face, no matter what.

And at least her body is more like a "real big woman's body" than most big models (they usually don't have a 'gut', and so clothes will look different on them). If she's happy, and her husband loves her as she is, then fine.

I find her excessive tattoos all around her body a lot more disturbing than her weight.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

Well, at least with heavier and more realistic models, I can stop throwing things at the TV and yelling, "Someone get that girl a cheeeeeezeburger!" I'm so tired of those sticks with arms and legs they call Runway models. Those girls all look like they're about to keel over from starvation. Maybe the pendulum has to swing far to the other side in order for it to come back to moderation.
I'm sorry, how is that any better? People always complain about fat-shaming but seem to have no problem shaming those that are "too thin." I guess if people are thin it's okay to say things about their bodies.

I am almost 5'10" and the average weight range for someone my height varies a bit. When I was at the higher end of the normal BMI range, I was around a size 10. Now I'm at the lower end of the normal BMI range and I'm around a size 4. I like my body much more now than I did before but people seem to think it is okay to constantly tell me things like the following: "you look too thin" "you look disgusting now" "you need to gain weight" "stop losing weight" "you need to eat something and put on weight" "you have no butt" "your thighs look like twigs" "why are you so bony." ETC. So yeah, that's okay apparently, but the minute someone says anything about someone else who is overweight you are fat shaming, how dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post

I find it ironic that the article mentioned the fashion industry has refused to hire models below a certain BMI and has started to have healthy foods on set when shooting in an effort to promote healthier body image, all while gushing about how awesome it is to present an equally unhealthy image.
Very true.

I think having a wide variety of models is fine---why can't there be "hey we're average-sized" models? I can see the appeal of having an obese model to appeal to your buyers because let's face it---a huge portion of the population is obese. Doesn't mean they are celebrating obesity, and I don't think Tess is either, but she is acknowledging this is her body and she's okay with it.

It does make me sad, because being in health care, obesity (and the diabetes that often eventually accompanies it) is pretty prevalent in those coming into the ER and those that are eventually admitted. She's still young and pretty active---but I've watched my obese parents slowly become less active and now they can barely move.

I think people have a lot of trouble with the idea of celebrating body types that are yes, realistic, but in all honestly, not healthy.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,544,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
why care how much she weight?
why care what dress size she is wearing?
She is happy that count
And she sexy as eff!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty