U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:45 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,876,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

A sign of "obedience and compliance"? LMAO. Where in the world did you dig up that crazy thought?

She comes across as being more of an exremely bad attitudish mean girl with a chip on her shoulder than a "confident fat woman". It kinda just boils down to people who like/support are 99 time out of 100 more likely to be EXACTLY like her in terms of size than anything else. I wonder how many of you who love her so much feel the same way about someone like Kim Kardashian who comes across as being much nicer sweeter than someone who a chip on her shoulder or bad attitude.
Yeah, your comment is pretty much proof of what I was saying.
I have nothing against any Kardashian, either. They have no bearing at all on my life. They put on a show. It's not real. I can't tell that Tess Holliday has a "bad attitude" from a photo of her. It's also not real. She's wearing clothing and being paid to wear them.

Society expects women to be compliant. Commercials tell women what they "need" to look "acceptable." It's all nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Who cares if Kim Kardashian comes across as being much nicer and sweeter? THAT is what I'm saying. Women don't NEED to be "nicer and sweeter" to have value. Who gives a crap how nice and sweet a man is? No one, that's who. But women are valued for being "nicer and sweeter." Compliant and obedient.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM

227 posts, read 151,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
People want women to be thin because it's a sign of obedience and compliance. When a confident fat woman displays herself, people lose their minds... because she's not being obedient or compliant. The people who comment with "health concerns" don't really care if Tess gets diabetes or has a heart attack. They care that she doesn't fit into society's standard of beauty and that's somehow offensive to them.
So because someone doesn't agree with you, they're sheeple? Lol, you're delusional.

And actually, yeah, it would make me sad if she developed health issues because of her weight. But, hey, carry on...

Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
So because someone doesn't agree with you, they're sheeple? Lol, you're delusional.

And actually, yeah, it would make me sad if she developed health issues because of her weight. But, hey, carry on...

I don't ever use the word, "sheeple" because it's the dumbest word, ever.
Thanks for your comment. Hope it made you feel better to share it.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,476,392 times
I know people should be taught to be "comfortable in their own skin" and confident, but wow. this is not something that should be encouraged or celebrated. I see way too many fat people that are overconfident to the point where it is obnoxious. just another unfortunate side effect of the fat acceptance movement. thickheaded, arrogant obese people that don't see any reason to improve their health. this right here is honey boo boo in 20 years, except she will be chasing the ice cream truck down the street in her souped up motorized cart. seriously, this looks like a lingerie ad from a pie eating contest at an Alabama trailerpark. what is up with all the tattoos?

yeah, I can find plus size models attractive with a few extra pounds attractive, but not supersize models. this is not okay. in about 10 years, her health will catch up to her and she will be paying the piper for this. but this is more than 30% of America that is morbidly obese like this. this is not about having "positive body image", it is about eventually becoming a drain on the medical system and contributing to the already skyrocketing ridiculous health care costs.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 PM

944 posts, read 769,359 times
I'm getting annoyed by all the articles and social media storm that I come across to shame people who choose to take care of their bodies. I follow a few models, including fitness models, and there isn't a day that goes by that someone has to leave them a nasty comment about how they have so much time to take care of their bodies. "If I had your time, money, etc., then I would look good too." No, you wouldn't because your attitude will never change. I like the idea of embracing what you got, but not when it's unhealthy. I think the model in the OP is being delusional by telling herself and the media that it's ok to be that big.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM

5,046 posts, read 599,444 times
I think the model in the original post is just FAT. Not just heavy or big, but FAT. Unhealthily fat, with lots and lots of fatty rolls.

Now I am 61, 5'4", and a size 6 or 8, so I am not exactly a thin supermodel (lol), and I don't think any woman or teenage girl should starve themselves to fit into a size 0 or 2 just to fit some designer's or magazine's ideal of how a woman SHOULD look.

However, there is a BIG gap between anorexia/starvation and looking like a heart attack in the making; and I think it is wrong to encourage ANYONE, but especially teens, to think that there is nothing wrong with being morbidly obese. If people are overweight because of something they can't control, that's different, but being more than 50% overweight is usually a matter of eating too much junk food, which indicates a major lack of self control and/or ignorance.

And, btw, I have NOTHING against very overweight people, personally, except pity. In fact in high school, when I was a size 3 (in today's sizes), my best friend and future maid of honor was a size 18.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-19-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 05:31 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
People want women to be thin because it's a sign of obedience and compliance. When a confident fat woman displays herself, people lose their minds... because she's not being obedient or compliant. The people who comment with "health concerns" don't really care if Tess gets diabetes or has a heart attack. They care that she doesn't fit into society's standard of beauty and that's somehow offensive to them.
I'm pretty sure that no one cares if this woman gets diabetes or has high blood pressure or has pain in her knees. Most would laugh if she had trouble fitting into an airplane seat. That's why the fake concern is so annoying. People just use it as an excuse to put her down without sounding like a jerk. Well, newsflash...you still sound like a jerk, and most people can see right through your crap.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,542,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

A sign of "obedience and compliance"? LMAO. Where in the world did you dig up that crazy thought?

She comes across as being more of an exremely bad attitudish mean girl with a chip on her shoulder than a "confident fat woman". It kinda just boils down to people who like/support are 99 time out of 100 more likely to be EXACTLY like her in terms of size than anything else. I wonder how many of you who love her so much feel the same way about someone like Kim Kardashian who comes across as being much nicer sweeter than someone who a chip on her shoulder or bad attitude.
Shes got an okay butt, I'd rather date Tess, than Kim, I don't like her personality, plus I'm not a butt man, unless- as in Kims sake, there's just nothing up top. I have yet to see an interview with Tess, but I'm sure her " chip" is no bigger than Moniques.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,286,485 times
I have no problem with people who fit or don't fit into society's idea of beauty. I find it odd that larger women are so defensive when people talk about health concerns. The concerns are real, but Tess can weigh as much as she wants. It is when people say things like, "She is large and proud." Proud of what? Be proud of your accomplishments or your family. Being able to eat enough to be large is nothing to be proud of, and neither is starving yourself to fit into a size 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty