U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
The pressure to look beautiful or handsome in South Korea is extreme - it affects every facet of a person's life: marriage, career, etc. Korean society places a high value on looks, just the way it is and if someone is born not as "perfect" it can be fixed if you have enough money. Pain is not even a concern. Most Asian females are slim, but their calves are a little more bulkier and the muscles thicker and shorter. Some women go through a procedure that removes the calve muscle or a large portion of it so that their legs look longer and slimmer. I was really shocked reading about this procedure, but apparently it's very common to have it done, just like the eyelid surgery. A lot of it is vanity, but since society puts such value on looks, people that look less than perfect have a harder time finding the right mate, job, etc. so the pain and cost of plastic surgery is acceptable to many.
And Asian societies are some of the worst for assimilation and acceptance of handicapped people. They are shunned and little if any accommodation is made for them. Strange thing is cleft pallet and hair lips are more common among Asians than any other race and they can be corrected to near perfection by their excellent surgeons yet the orphanages have lots of children with these "imperfections".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And Asian societies are some of the worst for assimilation and acceptance of handicapped people. They are shunned and little if any accommodation is made for them. Strange thing is cleft pallet and hair lips are more common among Asians than any other race and they can be corrected to near perfection by their excellent surgeons yet the orphanages have lots of children with these "imperfections".
I sadly agree, nk. In Asian societies, if a baby is born with an obvious physical defect especially around the face or anything that stands out as an serious imperfection, it is not uncommon for the parents to abandon the child, maybe because they think there is no hope or they just don't have the funds to get the child the operation he or she needs, like for the hair lips - they just don't want to have a child that looks like that. Some of it is superstitious, but the biggest factor is the child is somehow a reflection of the family. They feel ashamed and that they will be looked down upon by the community and even by the rest of their family.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM

826 posts, read 658,617 times
I cannot understand this value system. I think it is hysterical to be so blase about surgery. These are risky, even potentially life-threatening, procedures. How can such shallow motivations be worth more than your safety?

And what do ugly people do in such a society? I'm being totally serious. Are they outcasts?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,948,202 times
This is common knowledge.....
Koreans do not want to not be pretty & go to extreme lengths to appear young & perfect
(including the men)
Even when they submit resumes-
They include their pictures on it to show their looks.....

Btw the Chinese can't stand this about the Koreans, lol

Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I cannot understand this value system. I think it is hysterical to be so blase about surgery. These are risky, even potentially life-threatening, procedures. How can such shallow motivations be worth more than your safety?

And what do ugly people do in such a society? I'm being totally serious. Are they outcasts?
yes they usually are or they find money to become a different person through surgery.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
My advice if you have surgery overseas?
Stay long enough to heal.
You come back here and have complications, good luck getting a U.S. doc to touch you.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM
JL

7,310 posts, read 11,476,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My advice if you have surgery overseas?
Stay long enough to heal.
You come back here and have complications, good luck getting a U.S. doc to touch you.
U.S docs have performed plastic surgeries on botched surgeries from other plastic surgeons, so no need for luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post

There are plastic surgeries going on every minute in the U.S and world. No different there than here. I don't see anything wrong with plastic surgery if women want it. If it makes them feel more confident, then they should go ahead and pursue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty