U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:26 AM

549 posts, read 408,673 times

Advertisements

I dislike polka dots ALOT. Just for myself, I think they can look cute on others. Maybe it's a personality mismatch. Every time I try something with polka dots I feel like minnie mouse. Lol. I also don't love floral on me, although I love it generally. It feels either matronly or too cutesy and twee. It just never works. But I enjoy bright colors and bold combinations. Maybe fun patterns are best left go bubbly personalities? Those ladies seem to work them very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 AM

10,868 posts, read 18,944,912 times
I just bought a polka dot skirt today. The dots are various sizes and have sort of a swirly pattern. It's black and white...not very summery but most of my clothes are black and white.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,538,967 times
I love polka dots and would certainly wear them, although I haven't been clothes hunting.

I would not wear large dots on pants, though.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,513,495 times
I tend to stick to plan shirts. They have have words or a design on them, but far as patterns go, stripes, dots, plaid, no sale there.But too busy for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:34 AM

1,231 posts, read 979,663 times
Not I.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:26 AM

14,000 posts, read 10,151,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I bought a polka dot dress four years ago and it hangs in the closet, only leaving the closet to be moved to another closet. I sometimes dust it off and try it on. It's brown with white polka dots and a brown satin tie around the waist and comes down right to the knees and is sheer. I wear the slip that came with it as pajamas which is solid brown satin. It looks exactly like the dress in Pretty Woman. It looks nice, but I hesitate to wear anything with polka dots out in public. I don't know why.

Are there patterns or styles you buy but hesitate to wear for some reason? They just hand in the closet forever?
I love her dress in the movie!

I love dots, stripes, plaid (especially madras), almost any kind of small print. I always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I like tone-on-tone dots (Swiss dots). I'd also do a tiny dot on a blouse for work--I have an olive green blouse with ivory dots that I wear with a cream cardigan. Big dots or Minnie Mouse styles look ... um, goofy on me.
I really like that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love polka dots! They're so festive. I have a navy and white dotted dress that I just love.

Clothing is so boring these days! Paisley, plaid, polka dots, tropical prints -- all so much fun to wear. But no -- all you find in the stores is brown, black and tan. Bleah. That's why I shop at vintage and thrift stores.
I agree, lol. I do wear neutrals quite a bit, but when it's all you see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I bought a knee-length, off-brown dress with tiny beige dots and an abstract design on it, on sale. I bought it to wear to church.

In general, I don't care what people say about my clothing, but I got so many negative remarks about this dress both times that I wore it that it hung in the closet for two years before I finally gave it away before I moved.

Before that, I had this mustard-colored pantsuit with a green paisley print on strips of white around the sleeves and collars. That was another sale item that used to get negative reviews. Still, it was very warm and I wore it on the coldest days.
From whom?! Who would say something like that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I love polka dots and would certainly wear them, although I haven't been clothes hunting.

I would not wear large dots on pants, though.
No, I don't think I'd go there, lol.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:03 PM

31,227 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
No, I don't think I'd go there, lol.
I did.

But it was the 60s. And I was 12.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,151,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I did.

But it was the 60s. And I was 12.
Lol. At one point I had some white jeans with "peace" and "love" and flowers printed in light green in that '70s style of writing.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times
This thread is like the polka dot apparel I own - I forgot about it. I bought a polka dot shirt in the winter but have never worn it. When I think about it, a fear of looking/feeling like a hipster comes over me. I have never seen a polka dot shirt look good on someone. Also, I have a dotted tie in my collection. I haven't worn ties in years, though I went through a phase of collecting them. It's likely I have never worn it.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 PM

231 posts, read 112,495 times
Wear it, enjoy it, you only live once. Wear a light weight cardigan if you think the design print is too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty