Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I just wonder how they ever expect to find a job.
We find jobs just fine. There are things called clothes, that can cover tattoos so no one knows you have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
We find jobs just fine. There are things called clothes, that can cover tattoos so no one knows you have them.

I'm not really referring to cover-able tattoos but rather many of the face tattoos, face piecing, and ear gauging.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 17,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
Why you even care? If you don't like something don't do it, but don't judge people. You are saying totally wrong things anyway. People can do what they want as long as they are good persons and don't hurt others with their actions.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM

152 posts, read 208,926 times
I would rather have Executive wages....not a punk rocker look. My tattoo is on my butt, my ears are pierced once....My personal life doesn't show at work.

The ear slashing/stretcher thing is the worst idea ever! It would keep any of them from management every time!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Well, seeing somebody like this annoys me. Actually, more like disturbs me. How will anybody ever take him seriously again after what he's done to himself?

Extreme Body Modification: Joe Miggler, 23, Modifies Body With Holes In Cheeks And A Split Tongue
It also points to some deep-rooted psychological issues since this is barely a step above cutting ones self or other forms of what is traditionally considered self-harm or self-mutilation. Slapping the label of "art" on it doesn't change the "wrongness" (not a moral judgment, but one based on mental and physical health) of what this person did to himself.

Or, maybe he's not mentally ill and is just a person with really, REALLY bad judgement. Either way, that doesn't give me any reason to respect him or trust him, and it does annoy me that this form of illness / self mutilation is now considered "art" and "rebelling" just because some businesses are making money off it.

I don't "care" if somebody wants to mutilate themselves, drink themselves to death, or get so high they never come back. But I still don't recommend it, have little respect for the people who take things that far, and am annoyed that self destructive behavior is now being celebrated in our culture.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:32 PM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Not to me it doesn't, it's written in plain normal english, without the text speak, or urban slang, or numbers for letters, or whatever else stupid kids do nowadays.
I was talking about the content, not the form.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:34 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
I have a nose piercing and a tattoo. My tattoo isn't visible--it's a tramp stamp, and the only person who would see would be the guy banging me. And the nose piercing is a super small stud. I've held two corporate positions since getting it done and have never had an issue with it. I take it out during interviews. When I turn 30, I'll most likely permanently remove the nose piercing, but I love it. It's a part of who I am. It represents me well--I can't explain it any other way.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlysunny1 View Post
I would rather have Executive wages....not a punk rocker look. My tattoo is on my butt, my ears are pierced once....My personal life doesn't show at work.

The ear slashing/stretcher thing is the worst idea ever! It would keep any of them from management every time!
At a recent job - a place full of dim bulbs - the prize winner for poor judgement was one of the janitors.

This kid probably wasn't even 21 yet, and his face looked like he fell in a tacklebox. Everything was pierced, studded, looped, hooked, etc. It didn't make him look artistic, it didn't "represent who he was," and all it did was guaranteed that janitor will probably be the highest position he'll hold in his life.

Of course, since "everyone" is getting their face riddled with metal shards, he no longer felt unique enough, so he took it one step further and got his EYES dyed BLACK?! Yes, that's apparently a thing. So, now he has dead black eyes that make him look like some sort of demon or undead, combined with the shrapnel stuck in his face. Why? What purpose did this serve? How does having jet black eyes and a face full of steel "represent who you really are" unless you have some serious body dysmorphic disorder and actually think you ARE a demon or zombie with an armored shell?!

Ugh... and I don't even want to know how much of his janitor's salary he wasted on that crap. Nothing like spending money to guarantee you'll have a much lower income for the rest of your life!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:07 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I'm have never been interested in befriending people who went out of their way to stand out by sporting unnaturally colored hair, visible tattoos, or piercings. I knew before they ever opened their mouths we wouldn't have much in common.

I must say, however, I don't care what others wear or do to their own bodies. In fact, I have enjoyed people watching the peacocks over the years from afar. Live and let live.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
When I was younger, I enjoyed dating women with tattoos (visible or otherwise), nose rings, tongue rings, etc. It was a turn-on to some extent. This is despite the fact that I myself don't have any tats or piercings - since I'm allergic to pain Thankfully, my lack of tats/piercings was never really an issue for these women.

These days, I keep my head shaved - and I only really do that because I'm bald & think it looks better. Unfortunately, so many guys these days are shaving their heads that this has become mainstream, and not at all unusual. That being said, I still get "the look" sometimes, primarily from young women What's interesting is that if I had shaved my head back in high school (the '80's), I would have been considered a skin-head (even though I wasn't), which wouldn't have gone over too well in the school I went to....

Going along with the above & this thread, it's extremely interesting to me how our culture changed so much that what was at one time considered unusual/strange is now common....i.e., white guys with shaved heads, piercings/tats/, dyed hair, etc.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-22-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty