Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
I don't get them either

You guys have some dumb responses so far
Well, the "issue" is dumb, so whatever. It's not for you, move on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Insult me by labeling my inquiry for clarification "whining". That's a poor way to help another understand to your motive.
Actually; it wasn't directed at you, just you, but a general response towards everybody who are always complaining about what is different than they are, or isn't some social norm. Apparently, you thought my actual response(the one quoting you, so you know) was dumb- which is an insult moreso than my post you quoted.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,121 times
Quote:
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
You are resentful because your punk rock family forced their taste in appearances on you.

That is quite understandable.

If you can eventually get past this resentment you won't worry about the hair styles, tattoos, piercings, etc. of others.

Don in Austin

Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I am glad that tattoos where not common when I was in my 20s. My immature self when I was young would have gotten tons of tattoos and each one would remind me of some thing unique about myself or a story. At the time I would have loved having those tattoos and would have compared them with my hippie friends,

Now that I am nearly 60 years old, I can laugh about who I was in my twenties and am glad I have no permanent colors on my skin (tattoos) from that era. What is cool and personal and artistic in your 20s is really sad in your fifties.
About the time I turned 60 I knew I was never going to be on the FBI's 10 most wanted, nor become a bank officer nor seek employment at Merrill Lynch. So why not some brightly colored tats? I get compliments on them from time to time on my group bike rides.

Don in Austin

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Sounds like a teenager wrote this.
Not to me it doesn't, it's written in plain normal english, without the text speak, or urban slang, or numbers for letters, or whatever else stupid kids do nowadays.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody
Eh, I'm still working on getting my ears up to a 00ga, just got my first two tattoos. Yay counter-culture! People always whine, and complain about what's different, or what they don't understand, anything that doesn't seem right in their little world of perfection. Hate it, despise it, come down like rolling thunder, at the end of the day, my tats are still going to be there, I'll still.be planning on buying another pair of Tripps, that chick is probably gonna plan neon green when she's tired of purple, and no effs will be given for those John Publics, and Joan Publics out there.

I know, and it's cute to me.
I love the creativity, individuality and fun that teens have before their memories
and acuity start slipping! Full of life and fun!
And eff the J Q Pubics out there!

You go, Jax!
I'm in my late twenties. Some of you must not read my other post to think I'm a damn child. I have children myself.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
On this I absolutely agree with you. My whole belief is that tattoos have become so commonplace, especially among younger people, that you are actually being more unique by not having them. Getting one actually shows you feel the pressure to "blend in", rather then be original.

If someone is getting a tattoo or odd piercing because they want it for themselves, or for a reason such a "tattoo in honor of my dad" then that's fine. But to say it's to "be unique" like they do is nonsense.

I can happily say I don't have and never will have a tattoo.
The tats I'm getting on my arms are for religious purposes.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Unfortunately, you're going to be relegated to working at Startbucks or Whole Foods if you have a bunch of tats, purple hair and a bunch of crap sticking out of your face.

It's fine to live in the "here and now" but you also have to have a long term view because everything you do has a funny way of following you.
One of my lawyers has two full tat sleaves, I don't have a bunch of crap sticking out of my face, and I don't dye my hair, I like my hair black. i won't be working at some pos coffe shop, or some grocery store. I've actually been doing security for a few years now, and where I'm at now, I don't even need to remove my 2ga plugs.

Maybe when people like you get the eff over what people want to do themselves, those problems will fade. Outdated social norms, and conservative views.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
Tattoos are scars of the skin with pigment. Its not healthy, as any kind of scar interrupts the natural energy balance of the body. Tattooing has caused a lot of diseases through the years. Tons of people got Hepatitis B and C from tatooes. Hepatitis C is now curable, at a cost of $90 k, but Hepatitis B isn't yet. Both diseases cause nasty things to livers and cause premature horrible deaths. The pigment is toxic too, contributing to autoimmune diseases. People are ignorant.

Piercings sever some nerves, especially in weird places. I go to a naturopath, and some weird symptoms that should have institutionalized the person were cured by removing the metal piercings. Yet, when they get better, they put the piercings back and their symptoms reappear.

Some hair coloring is linked to cancer, but that is more curable now too. Smoking is a major sin now, but dope smoking is somehow cool with no ill effects? Smoking any thing is bad for the lungs.

People care less about personal hygiene and disease now because they think nothing can't happen to them. Now, sexually transmitted diseases, tatooes, and piercings are no big deal to some or even a badge of honor. Fifty years ago, they could cause death. Personal hygiene now seems mostly about deodorant, not inward health.

Last edited by fourwinds; 05-21-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Quote:
What's the point of going through the trouble to dye your hair, get a bunch of facial piercings, tattoos, etc.? I don't understand why people feel motivated enough to do so. It seems like a desperate cry for attention. People can do what they want. Some people say it's a way of "expressing themselves", but all this really expresses in my opinion is "I went through this trouble to look odd...so look at me!" And in some neighbourhoods, this is so common that it can't be attributed to a desire to be unique. What's so great about looking unique anyway?

Mind you, I come from a punk rock family, who shaved my head and forced me to go to school with a mohawk and full "hardcore regalia" for years. My dad pierced my septum when I was 6 as well. I come from a liberal, anarchist background. So it would seem that I would identify with the "alternative appearance" crowd more but I just don't get it. Can anyone help me understand?
A few years back I went to my niece's HS graduation out in ID. Her boyfriend had a big hoop earring in the top part of his ear. He was a rancher's kid who thought himself to be rather hip and cool.
I asked him why he pierced his ear. His reply..."To express myself in a unique manner". I told him if he came back to DC with me he would look rather bland because everyone and their mothers are pierced from head to toe, depending on where you go. Don't even start with tats as even little kids have 'em.
I don't get the mentality. I was at a friend's house one summer and his kids had a bunch of friends in the pool. His daughter had a new tramp stamp on her back. He saw I noticed and said "Don't ask". He and his wife had gone a few rounds with her about it. Having some friends over was about the extent of her liberties for a couple of years. Lucky for her cell phones weren't the rage. That was a couple of years down the road at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty