Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
When I first met my husband in the late 1980s, he was required to wear a dress shirt and tie to his engineering job. Then the powers that be decided that it caused too much of a "line" between the "blue collar workers" and the "white collar workers" and communication was affected adversely. They relaxed the dress codes and allowed polo shirts and actually requested that they NOT wear ties, especially if they were going to have interaction with the factory workers.

I am sure there is some psychology behind the "Wall Street" way of dressing... it denotes power and authority. Logically, it really shouldn't, since some of the most "powerful" and rich people dress very casually.

My grandfather was "old school" and wore a variety of hats well into his 80s. He didn't dress up otherwise, generally, but the hat was a given. I think it was "old habits die hard" more than anything.
When I first started working at the Engineering company where I work, we were required to wear ties and dress slacks and suits were expected when meeting with clients. Now things have been relaxed quite a bit but there is still an expectation to wear a tie and even a suit if meeting with high level officers of a key Client. I'm currently working at a mining site in Peru and things are very relaxed including the Client is very relaxed in their dress code except we must wear long sleeve shirts and steel toed footwear.

When I work in other areas of the world particularly Europe, they still expect formal dress code wear and Americans seem pretty frumpy in comparison. You will be perceived as a street person in much of Europe or Korea if you wear what is typical American clothing even though you might be 1000 times wealthier, you will not be perceived as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When I first started working at the Engineering company where I work, we were required to wear ties and dress slacks and suits were expected when meeting with clients. Now things have been relaxed quite a bit but there is still an expectation to wear a tie and even a suit if meeting with high level officers of a key Client. I'm currently working at a mining site in Peru and things are very relaxed including the Client is very relaxed in their dress code except we must wear long sleeve shirts and steel toed footwear.

When I work in other areas of the world particularly Europe, they still expect formal dress code wear and Americans seem pretty frumpy in comparison. You will be perceived as a street person in much of Europe or Korea if you wear what is typical American clothing even though you might be 1000 times wealthier, you will not be perceived as such.
I think a lot of this stems from the impression of having money in other Countries than actually having it. Here in America we arent as concerned with showing off our money. Before you name a bunch of materially minded people notice I said AS concerned. My Russian classmate dresses for class in formal evening wear. It boggles my mind that she walks a half mile across campus in high heels and a form fitting dress. She also drives the oldest Mercedes that she could afford that had the lowest miles on it. Its all about looking wealthy to her. I come from money but would rather wear flip flops and a t-shirt any day. Im not trying to impress people and post financial crisis my generation is a bit disdainful of those who are well off.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was once told by someone who worked for one of the Big 8 public accounting firms in the early to mid-1970s, that hats were required as part of their dress code.
This is interesting to me. It's not likely that they required hats while in the office (because a gentleman doesn't wear his hat indoors), so they were in effect dictating how their employees dressed during their personal time.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

I know what you're saying. My husband worked for an auto company in Germany for a bit. He felt the need to dress more business-like during that time. I think he still felt underdressed. I remember him calling me, asking what in the world he should wear.

I've traveled Europe extensively and would personally never wear sneakers/athletic shoes or sports logo clothing (not that I have any, anyway!) because it seems to be the "tourist look." I'd rather blend in.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is interesting to me. It's not likely that they required hats while in the office (because a gentleman doesn't wear his hat indoors), so they were in effect dictating how their employees dressed during their personal time.
These were auditors who traveled to client sites on most days. I'm sure their dress code also said something about the type of overcoat/raincoat that was acceptable.

BTW, I also worked for one of the public accounting firms and we received a memo one day about what was acceptable dress when we came into the office on weekends. We were allowed to wear business casual,l but no t-shirts or shorts.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I've heard many people give credit to JFK for killing the hat for men. He was very stylish and seldom wore a man's hat.

Made sense to me.

Last edited by Rakin; 05-28-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
JFK did have some stylin' hair, for sure.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
The decline of men wearing hats supposedly started in 1961 when JFK did not wear a hat to his inauguration. During the 1960s, it became more common for men, especially younger men, to go without hats. In the 1970s, it seemed the only men wearing hats were older, retired men. I was once told by someone who worked for one of the Big 8 public accounting firms in the early to mid-1970s, that hats were required as part of their dress code.
The key word being supposedly, for in fact John Kennedy did wear a hat to his inauguration.

The tradition of wearing a top hat to one's Presidential inauguration would not come to an end until Carter declined to do so in 1977 - all Presidents since have followed suit.

Of course, Kennedy did not wear a hat during his inauguration. But then, neither did his predecessor, nor did FDR (Truman's inauguration doesn't really count, as it was indoors due to being arranged rather hastily upon FDR's demise) so it's rather hard to pin the blame on Kennedy for doing that.

Now, it is true that Kennedy wore a hat less often while campaigning and less often while President than did his predecessors. But the wearing of hats by men peaked in the early 20th century and was in freefall long before Kennedy ran for President - sales of men's dress-hats in 1960 were half of what they were in 1950.

So John Kennedy's relative hatlessness was simply a reflection of a well-established social trend rather than a style of his own doing. And why did this trend come about? Well, fashions change. And all fashions start by doing something different from the norm.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
These were auditors who traveled to client sites on most days. I'm sure their dress code also said something about the type of overcoat/raincoat that was acceptable.

BTW, I also worked for one of the public accounting firms and we received a memo one day about what was acceptable dress when we came into the office on weekends. We were allowed to wear business casual,l but no t-shirts or shorts.
I worked on the consulting side of a Big Eight Accounting firm.

During the period of the 80's, we wore white shirts and dark ties. Blue, pink or yellow shirts were forbidden. Hats, by that time, had been made optional.

We worked just about every weekend, and you wore khakis and maybe a colored shirt, or a polo into the office. It had to have a collar. NO jeans, shorts, or anything that didn't reflect well on the image/reputation of the firm.

If you were in front of a client, it was definitely a suit and tie or you didn't go!

How times have changed!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I worked on the consulting side of a Big Eight Accounting firm.

During the period of the 80's, we wore white shirts and dark ties. Blue, pink or yellow shirts were forbidden. Hats, by that time, had been made optional.

We worked just about every weekend, and you wore khakis and maybe a colored shirt, or a polo into the office. It had to have a collar. NO jeans, shorts, or anything that didn't reflect well on the image/reputation of the firm.

If you were in front of a client, it was definitely a suit and tie or you didn't go!

How times have changed!

I also worked worked on the consulting side of a Big Eight Accounting firm. It wasn't as strict as your firm; we were allowed to wear light blue shirts in addition to white. I started in 1985 and never saw anyone wear a hat. I think it was OK to wear jeans in the office on the weekend as long as it wasn't during tax season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty