Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's like people forget that they have easily searchable posting histories.
Personally I always think theyd have better things to do but most if not all the time im proven wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM

241 posts, read 360,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Bullsh*t.

You posted about this a year ago, and in post#3 of the thread I linked, you were NOT very encouraging about fat acceptance. You were "relieved" to find people agreed with you that fat people have "no pride in their appearance."
Fat is unhealthy. I told people that the their number one priority should be their heathy. When feel healthy you look better and feel more confident. This applies to me at least, as someone who has lost over a hundred pounds. But hey if your confident with your size rock on.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Fat is unhealthy. I told people that the their number one priority should be their heathy. When feel healthy you look better and feel more confident. This applies to me at least, as someone who has lost over a hundred pounds. But hey if your confident with your size rock on.
Thanks for using a back-handed compliment to make my point. You know nothing about my size. Its apparent that you are VERY insecure about putting your weight back on, so much so that you want to demonize fat and fat people.

The way you write, and it was evident in the epic thread about putting in more effort, makes it pretty clear that you are a formerly fat person (yay!) who now looks around with judgment at others (boo!) "Encouragement" does not come across in your posts. Derision does.

Right now you're so happy to have left the fat team to join the (superior?) fit team that you don't even see what the "power" that came with your transformation has turned you into.

So your concern about empowering others rings false to me because what it comes down to is ... If the "fat acceptance" movement gets traction, it could devalue the work you've done to lose weight and get a body worth objectifying.

Then what???

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-28-2015 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-28-2015, 11:50 PM

171 posts, read 197,017 times
the fat acceptance movement already won... most people in america are fat

Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
We only empower our-self as women if we learn to accept & respect our differences~ Tell the "MEDIA GO HELL"~~~

Old 05-29-2015, 02:27 AM

70 posts, read 84,365 times
if you are fat you can challenge yourself not to be. can't hurt

different kinds of fat out there. if morbidly obese or beyond imo try not to be. in this day and age obese (bmi of 30 or higher) is fairly commonplace, somewhat acceptable, and even healthy in the lowest ranges for some individuals. so if morbidly obese at least try to get there, if nothing else. but they call it morbid and in some cases malignant obesity for a reason, and none of those reasons are good, really

Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
I think it is more about accepting people as they are, rather than shaming them for something they are not. Body acceptance is really, really important for mental health. Most people have very unrealistic ideas of how the human body is supposed to look, or how it can look with the "right" diet and exercise program. For instance, in my pre-teen years I wanted nothing more than to look like Daryl Hannah. I wanted to be a leggy, willowy blonde with a Roman nose and sculptured face. My family is Irish-Sicilian - never going to happen. So even though I was cute and petite, I spent a lot of time truly unhappy with how I looked. No diet or exercise program would have transformed me into something that was physically impossible. I know a young woman who is built like a linebacker - she will never fit into what society preaches is the "perfect" body, and it's sad what she's had to go through.

If you've had a few kids, there are limits to what the body will look like without plastic surgery. Genetics plays a huge role. Physical limitations play a huge role. People need to get over the idea that we're all supposed to be perfect physical specimens, and if you don't practically kill yourself to be one something is wrong with you.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
While I think it's important to be healthy, sh*t happens, okay? People get depressed and use food as a coping mechanism. Some folks develop diseases/disorders that cause them to be gain weight and sometimes they don't eve know that they had the condition until several years (and several lbs. later). If I see a fat person, I assume that they either have a health problem that caused the weight gain or a mental illness.

If someone sits at home all day and eats, they probably have a mental illness. They are using food to cope and diminish pain and/or anger. If you're sitting next to me on an airplane and I'm taking up part of your seat, POLITELY tell the FA. There's no need to be rude about it.

Fat acceptance is necessary because there's nothing I can do right now to lose the 175 lbs. that I need to lose. You shouldn't call me names, make noises, or discriminate against me just because of my size. That's rude. So, accept the fact that I'm fat and move on.

ETA: You don't need to tell me that I'm fat because I already know that. You don't need to tell me to hit the gym because I'm already doing that. You don't need to tell me to eat right because I'm already doing that. Come up with a cure for my autoimmune disease (narcolepsy) and the weight will come off much more easily.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
the fat acceptance movement already won... most people in america are fat
Did you pull that out of your wazoo, or do you have data to prove it?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Did you pull that out of your wazoo, or do you have data to prove it?
Here is the data from 2013 - I don't think it supports the claim that "most" people are fat. That statistics are alarming though especially when you compare the maps from different years.

Obesity Prevalence Maps 2013 - DNPAO - CDC

No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
7 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
23 states had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
18 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
2 states (Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty