Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Obesity is sadly becoming normal, but that doesn't mean they should toot their horn about it and feel comfortable with it because everyone else is obese or overweight. I'll bet they look at people larger than themselves and honestly think "glad I'm not that large".

Toot all the horns when people become more conscious of losing weight for health and happiness. I am not obese, but I AM overweight and I can't STAND looking in the mirror and I hate getting on the scale.

Let's all face it! Obese people are honestly NOT happy with themselves, no matter how much they say they are.

I, myself, am generally a happy person but I'm NOT happy with my body.
I completely agree. I'm a little overweight and am working with some success to get my weight down. It is so much better in every way to not be fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:21 PM

55 posts, read 63,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Terrible. Absolutely horrible, and horrible for society as well.

Making it "ok" to be fat is not good for anyone, and just going to lead to an already higher obesity rate than we already have. Being overweight is not healthy, and barring the few REAL medical conditions that cause uncontrollable weight gain, really no one has an excuse to be fat.

Physiologically, we are simply not meant to be fat.

And oh, for what it's worth, I was a very obese teen who lost weight (best thing I've ever done in my life) solely because of my desire to be more like the skinny "beautiful" people in the movies and ads. I wasn't offended by fat shaming, It was extremely motivating to me, and once I lost weight (yes, it was hard) I felt the best I ever have, both emotionally and physically.

Same for me. I was inspired to lose weight and get into shape thanks to seeing fit people in magazines and movies, and in person. They inspired me and made me realize what I could look like if I just put a little work into it. Lost over 60 pounds and 10 inches off my waist and have kept it off for years. "Fat shaming" inspired me to get my butt in gear and change my life.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I don't know about all you, but lately I been reading a lot of stuff on the Internet about the fat acceptance movement. I am not sure what their message is exactly but from what I gather they are trying to fix the societal standard of beauty to include larger people(mainly women) and normalize overweight people. I know what's it's like to be overweight and have a low self esteem so I don't think it's a bad thing to raise the self esteem of overweight individuals. There was also the Tess Holliday model making the rounds on the Internet.

On the other hand I also read articles like this: http://http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/americans-keep-getting-fatter-new-report-shows/ar-BBkm2o3 I think it would be hard for anyone to deny that being overweight/obese isn't healthy. So I have ask, do you think this fat acceptance movement is a good or bad thing?
Nope you have got it wrong. Fat Acceptance has nothing to do with beauty standards. The goal is for people to go on about their daily lives without being discriminated against due to their appearance.

This ranges from job discrimination to discrimination in health care. It can also spill over into stuff like moving the "plus sized" clothes with the "normal" clothes or eliminating that label altogether. Other asks might look for better representation in the media. Like how many stories do you see on the news of what they call the "headless fattie." Someone who is being negatively objectified for carrying extra body weight.

Basically in a nutshell the goal is to be treated like a "normal" person.

So-called "health status" really has nothing to do with how someone should be treated in daily life.

A related movement is the body positive movement that aims to teach you to accept your body and treat it well at any size. Eating well and exercise aren't means to getting a societally acceptable body, just a way to feel better no matter what you weigh or look like. The goal is to unbundle health from appearance and body size.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not slender is NOT my definition of fat.

Fat is fat.
And it always comes with 80000000 excuses.

My friend has MS, low thyroid, and still is svelte.
My friend has lupus eating her kidneys and skin and still works out and looks great.
My SIL has no thyroid and has almost no body fat.
One had breast cancer.
One is always on steroids for her transplant.
All in their 40s/50s. All but two with kids, jobs, etc.
Crossfitter hot mama has a teen, a newborn, AND is the breadwinner in her family.
It is a priority.

If it is not some other person's priority (man or woman), just own it. Own that you don't care enough.
That is what gets me. All the excuses.
And for me being hypothyroid totally screwed me over. Any little bit of variance in my thyroid levels means my weight increases 10 pounds in a short period of time and it takes 5x (or more) time to lose those 10 pounds. And it jacks up my energy so keeping up with normal activity is pretty difficult. And I do not sleep well which also doesn't help.

Lucky you your friends with thyroid issues are easily able to stay regulated. I haven't been. Hopefully I am in a good spurt now.

All the while, I get in regular activity and generally eat well. My blood tests are good, though I still carry extra weight. I wasn't designed to be super slim.

And apparently my body doesn't want to make it straightforward for me to lose weight. Trust me, I have tried the working out, counting calories etc, and those thyroid fluctuations erased all of my progress in short order.

So instead of focusing on weight loss, I focus on healthy habits and the scale can say whatever it chooses. 90% of longevity is doing the right thing. That I can manage and control.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And for me being hypothyroid totally screwed me over. Any little bit of variance in my thyroid levels means my weight increases 10 pounds in a short period of time and it takes 5x (or more) time to lose those 10 pounds. And it jacks up my energy so keeping up with normal activity is pretty difficult. And I do not sleep well which also doesn't help.

Lucky you your friends with thyroid issues are easily able to stay regulated. I haven't been. Hopefully I am in a good spurt now.

All the while, I get in regular activity and generally eat well. My blood tests are good, though I still carry extra weight. I wasn't designed to be super slim.

And apparently my body doesn't want to make it straightforward for me to lose weight. Trust me, I have tried the working out, counting calories etc, and those thyroid fluctuations erased all of my progress in short order.

So instead of focusing on weight loss, I focus on healthy habits and the scale can say whatever it chooses. 90% of longevity is doing the right thing. That I can manage and control.
My daughter has hypothyroidism. She's 21 years old and was misdiagnosed for 7 years (she had lost all of her hair and was bald that entire time). She was finally correctly diagnosed, but weight is a huge struggle for her. She works out very hard, but it takes so much longer for her to drop weight than it would a regular person. I have seven children, all slim like me except for her. Anyone who ever tries to say you can have hypothyroidism and maintain a healthy weight at all times has never lived with this condition. She struggles, it lowers her self-esteem, and she cries sometimes. It's really rough.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:01 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Overweight people around me are a motivation to stay thin for me.

Counterproductive are the clothes manufacturer who adjust the sizes so overweight people can feel better about themselves. I recently bought a shirt in size XS and I am clearly not super thin. Seriously, in Europe I have size M (in Italy sometimes even L) and here in the US I have become an XS? Ridiculous.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
I saw huge cute fat guy today

Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I saw huge cute fat guy today
I did, too! He was handsome, fat, and had really pretty skin. (I sound like the serial killer from Silence of the Lambs.)

Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Whoa. I clicked on these out of order. Thought the second link was some sort of satire until I read the first link. People are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty