Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,687,560 times

Advertisements

There is an odd commercial for some weight-loss product on TV here, someone even uploaded it to YT
Anyway, the odd thing is the woman in the blue top, appearing at about 7 sec into the video. I just don't understand why she is among those other women, who are indeed obese. But that one woman's figure is cute and feminine. Is something wrong with my perception?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOuJCB1tuY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 2,692,138 times
People should take/face/meet people as what they are inside and not to focus on their weight, height, hair, nose or what ever..

Old 05-30-2015, 02:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,345,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I don't know about all you, but lately I been reading a lot of stuff on the Internet about the fat acceptance movement. I am not sure what their message is exactly but from what I gather they are trying to fix the societal standard of beauty to include larger people(mainly women) and normalize overweight people. I know what's it's like to be overweight and have a low self esteem so I don't think it's a bad thing to raise the self esteem of overweight individuals. There was also the Tess Holliday model making the rounds on the Internet.

On the other hand I also read articles like this: http://http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/americans-keep-getting-fatter-new-report-shows/ar-BBkm2o3 I think it would be hard for anyone to deny that being overweight/obese isn't healthy. So I have ask, do you think this fat acceptance movement is a good or bad thing?
It's getting worse, and it's going to get worse yet.

First, too many people refuse to look at the health aspect- increased risks for diabetes, heart problems, cancers, etc.- and insist on making it about appearance.
Which leads to nonsense about "judging," "fat-shaming, etc."
And following that, references to "real women" with sites showing women who are obese, claiming that's what real women look like.
And I think that third item will prove to be even more destructive to young people than having parents who don't care about health and/or don't provide the right kinds of foods for their kids.

I certainly don't think overweight/obese people should be ridiculed, put down, or anything like that, I just believe the emphasis should be focused on health rather than appearance. Otherwise, being overweight will be seen as the ideal, the norm- and unfortunately it does seem to be heading in that direction quite rapidly.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:16 PM

29,708 posts, read 34,258,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I certainly don't think overweight/obese people should be ridiculed, put down, or anything like that, I just believe the emphasis should be focused on health rather than appearance. Otherwise, being overweight will be seen as the ideal, the norm- and unfortunately it does seem to be heading in that direction quite rapidly.
Part of that emphasis should be to focus on realistic portrayals of health. Too many people feel bad about themselves because they don't look like the cast of Magic Mike or like Victoria's Secret models. People can be healthy without being hardbodies or being miserable because they can't get to a certain number on the scale (that may not be in the cards for their body.) Sometimes perfectly healthy people are a little soft around the middle, and as long as their doctor's on board, then that's fine.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,345,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Part of that emphasis should be to focus on realistic portrayals of health. Too many people feel bad about themselves because they don't look like the cast of Magic Mike or like Victoria's Secret models. People can be healthy without being hardbodies or being miserable because they can't get to a certain number on the scale. Sometimes perfectly healthy people are a little soft around the middle, and as long as their doctor's on board, then that's fine.
True- not everyone has the same body type, bone structure, etc.

I don't think a few extra pounds should be a big deal either way, but when it comes to 50, 80, 100 pounds overweight, a person isn't going to be in the best of health, at least not in the longrun.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 2,692,138 times
Heart, veins and bodies belongs to their owners, if they want to die in early age because eating too much cream, just let them.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:51 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,191,980 times
Here's the thing -- a lot of people feel horrible about themselves because clothing doesn't fit. Well -- clothing designers use "croquis" to draw the designs on, and croquis are "9 heads high".

People aren't 9 heads high. They are 7 and 8 heads high. And shorter. There's something wrong with a system that is skewed against pretty EVERYONE from the outset. Let alone, we also don't know what's been tucked or stitched onto the models who show up for a photo shoot. OR the photoshopping done after the photoshoot.

I've seen size two's unhappy with how their bodies look in clothing, because the clothing isn't DESIGNED for them.

Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing: Coming Soon! Gertie's New Fashion Sketchbook: Indispensable Figure Templates for Body-Positive Design

I am heavy and losing weight, but even when I am skinny, I am going to have overly large boobs, no waist and wide hips. And my skinny won't be a size two -- it will be a size twelve, because I am large boned and heavily muscled. (And people here will still say I am fat because I am not a size two... but seriously, my sister got down to a size nine and she looked horrible, like someone with anorexia -- she scared my parents)...

But the body shaming -- ALL BODY SHAMING -- has to stop. And the people who are so righteously talking about health -- shut up. Not your body, not your business.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:55 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,772,908 times
People just like to have something to feel superior about. It's not as if society suddenly started "caring deeply" about the health of others.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,963,176 times
It seems that this fat acceptance movement doesn't apply to overweight males.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 PM

23,985 posts, read 32,309,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
No, but they sure are attractive.
I'll take a 90lb. woman over a 220b. woman, all other factors being relatively equal.

^^YES PLEASE.^^

^^NO THANKS^^

Sorry. They BOTH look bad and unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty