Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:03 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times

Advertisements

I carry an Anushka bag. It's hand painted leather and I get a lot of complements on it. It has a fabric lining, a hook for keys, zipper pockets on the inside and outside and a pocket to hold my cellphone and sunglasses. I need those specific features in a purse: leather, fabric lining, zipper pockets, outside pockets. I have been very happy with it for the past few years and no one else has one like it.

Anuschka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I will not buy a cheap handbag. I have no problems buying expensive bags and they look it.

I have one bag of my grandmother's from Hermes from the 1960s that still looks and feels fantastic.

Nicer bags don't go in and out of style either.

Also, I cannot stand an logo'd bags. I despise Gucci, LV, Coach, and Dooney & Burke for just that reason. Tacky.
Ah, bh, I would LOVE to see the Hermes. Lust......

Sold all my logoed bags. Those are for twenty somethings. Solid leather now, although I do have a few canvas ones where the logo is discreet so I'm not ready to let go yet.

I like to stalk the Middleton and Ecclestone girls for ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
After years of fancying Vera Bradley bags, my wife finally bought one. Two weeks later she returned it because she said it looked and felt like a “diaper bag”. I wonder if anybody else looks at them that way.
I fail to see the VB appeal. Yuck.

I have to like a bag and it has to fit my lotto envelope comfortably, so at least ten inches long.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Really wish there was some sort of site that would basically ask what all youre going to be putting in your purse and then would let you know the best type of bag to get. Would also be nice to have a sort of scale comparison with a lot of the bags i see online. They look huge or big enough then when you see them in stores or get them shipped theyre a lot smaller than youd pictured (even after looking at the specs)

Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
After years of fancying Vera Bradley bags, my wife finally bought one. Two weeks later she returned it because she said it looked and felt like a “diaper bag”. I wonder if anybody else looks at them that way.
I've never gotten the appeal of Vera Bradley bags and a cloth bag makes even less sense to me.

My absolute favorite handbag designer is Goldenbleu but sadly they went out of business. I still occasionally find a clutch on ebay. They used high end leather, quality linings, great colors, etc.

I also have a Kooba bag I love a lot even though it is very heavy.

Balenciaga, Chloe, and Prada probably round out my favorites.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Over 60 here and no VB for me. Reminds me of a bag to carry needlework projects.

I like compartments, especially if each one has some type of closer - zip, snap, toggle.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Number one rule: I won't pay full price. If I find one I like, I try to keep an eye on it until there's a sale. If I miss it, I miss it.

Number two rule: Weight matters. If I pick it up and all that's in it is the wadded up paper it was shipped in and it feels like it has a bowling ball inside, it's too heavy. I don't carry a lot, precisely because I don't want an aching back. The purse shouldn't be more than 2/3 of the weight when loaded.

Number three rule: No hobos. I'm not digging to the bottom to find whatever it is I need and I can guarantee that whatever I need will be on the bottom!

Other than that, refer to rule Number one.
Excellent points. Plus a zipper on the top or two sections with a zipper on each one.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Well, I like the Vera Bradley bags - I have several of the larger ones (not huge) - my DIL loved the diaper bag one I gave her - I cant really compare mine to a diaper bag though but I can see where some might. I like the compartments - the only thing is when it rains and if you're caught in a downpour, it does get very wet. Have seen quite a few competitor quilted bags but most are not made as well (and are a lot less $).

Like Mary Lee said, I also like Baggallini bags and have gotten them for very good prices at Home Goods, Marshalls & TJMaxx but it's hit or miss - they really repel water so that's nice as it often rains where we live now. I do like the solid colors (alth there are some prints now) as I was getting tired of the VB prints after a while.

Unfort. am not thrilled w/ changing bags but I def. need to purge some stuff in it to take advantage of the compartments and use the ones I have.

Another brand I like is Bueno - inexpensive and they come in diff. sizes and colors.

Not a big fan of big name pricey brands -

Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
Quote:

Don't know about the diaper bag look, but I have never, ever, seen a Vera Bradley print that I thought was attractive. They've just always looked like overpriced home economics class projects to me. (Boy, does that date me!?!)

Old 05-30-2015, 09:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Yes.

I don't care for the quilting and I don't care for patterns in general. I think they are dowdy.

I used to swear by the older small crossbody shapes of Baggalini bags, but the current styles aren't that appealing to me.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Telling my wife, "I don't mind if you get another one." lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
One of the biggest mistakes I've made is getting a purse that dosen't have a zipper closing on top..
If it rolls over my stuff falls out...My most recent purse has 7 zippers on the outside..perfect.
Pekemom, my dad always told my mother that every purse needs a zipper on the bottom. That's where everything goes. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty