Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure what a "washer woman hairdo" was. If you mean, long and unkempt, then, yes I do remember. It was the beginning of the disordered hairdo, and it has been resurfacing off and on ever since.

No, the 'washer woman do' is what women wore in the early 1900's. They made a knot on top of their heads and the all-around the sides were a little poufy (occasionally you see a fundamentalist woman wear something similar). Not sure that's the name of the style but it's what my mother called it. I've seen an old photo of my grandmother wearing hers that way.

And it was a trend for a while in the early-70's. Didn't care for it, really, but it seemed to go with the granny dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
The 80s is, and hopefully always will be, my least favorite fashion decade. Gross.

What a bizarre clash of styles. In high school, this was a typical classroom:
  • a girl with a Gunne Sax dress and french braid
  • a girl with spikes instead of her part between her feathered sides
  • a guy with purple tipped, spiked hair
  • a guy wearing safety pins all over a denim jacket, worn backwards
  • a girl with safety pins all through her shoelaces, except they had rainbow beads on them--wearing Mork From Ork rainbow suspenders, rainbow socks and jelly shoes
  • a girl wearing a men's Polo shirt with the collar standing up, and 4 watches on the same arm
  • a girl wearing a black bra and ripped denim vest with no shirt, ripped lace hose, and 12 black rubber bracelets
  • a guy wearing a chartreuse loose Shaker knit sweater, neon blue collar under that, chartreuse socks, enormous neon blue watch, highwater jeans and Docksiders
  • a girl wearing things with ducks all over them
  • a guy sporting a jheri curl, 1 white glove, and a faux military sort of jacket Shamone!
  • FRANKIE SAY RELAX!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
That complaint illustrates a positive - variety in style. There isn't much of it among today's young women. Hairstyle creativity has especially declined. By the way, I think the first post showed the worst of then and now.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I like the mid-late 90s the best. Didn't have the mullety tackyness of the 80s and early 90s, nor did it have as much obesity, tattoos and lack of class as the 2000s and 2010s. Braids and pony tails on adult women is hot too, and that's definitely more of a 90s thing.

Those are the kind of chicks I crushed on as a kid, the fashions that were popular between, say, 1994 and 2004.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No. I remember the 1970s very well. The look for women was long, flat, straight hair, and the men wore verdant mustaches and longer hair. I think the long hair for men sort of evaporated by the end of the seventies. But it was very prevalent for a long time.
If anything, the big hair lasted into the 90s rather than spilled over from the 70s.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
My recollection is that big hair was gone by 1992. I don't remember the 70's. Also, compared to today - and I expect someone will rudely tell me if I'm wrong - women didn't wear short shorts in most of the 80's.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
The 80's were awesome. There was so much variety. We looked good and we knew it. Sexy clothes that showed skin were more like seeing a shoulder or legs under a miniskirt. Our miniskirts covered our butts and were at least mid-thigh. Our school required that skirts and dress be no higher than 4" above the knee. Boys started wearing 'jams' my last year of school. They were shorts that came to the bottom of the knee. Before that guys wore jeans or pants.

I had a mullet at one time. It just didn't look good on me. I was jealous. I had permed hair and so did my brothers. I bought hair spray by the jug from the beauty supply place and refilled my pump bottle. I went through a bottle of hair spray a week. It took me over an hour to fix my hair and put my makeup on and get dressed each morning. I repainted my nails every single day.

Fat people were different then also. Fat then would probably be average size now. You just didn't see very many overweight people. If someone was fat it was usually because of soft drinks and junk food.

I wore the Chic mom jeans with the high waist. I loved them because they showed off my hour glass figure. I could wear a sweater up top and still have an hourglass.

My dress up shoes were high heels with a 2-3 inch heel. I've never been able to wear stilettos that women today wear. I loved short boots also.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Also, compared to today - and I expect someone will rudely tell me if I'm wrong - women didn't wear short shorts in most of the 80's.
I hope I'm I'm not being rude but I think they did for a while. I do remember having those wrap around shorts in the early eighties. Weird little things but my boyfriend at the time thought they were sexy as all get out, lol.
Oh and the little addidas type running shorts were pretty skimpy too.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/003/1/56...95797_bznq.jpg
http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/terrycloth-shorts-colors.jpg

Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I expect someone will rudely tell me if I'm wrong - women didn't wear short shorts in most of the 80's.

Women wore short shorts in the '80s, and so did men. Toward the end of the '80s, several cultural influences led to the universal requirement of the long and baggy mens shorts that we are still cursed with today.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 AM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
There is good and bad in every decade I would say. I know people get nostalgia, but the "bad" about the fashions today were probably echoed back then as well but by a different generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty