Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

They've been in trouble for some time. If you used to shop at GAP where do you now shop?

Gap to close 175 stores in North America - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
I stopped shopping there long ago after everything they sold looked drab and dull. Im not that into grey sweaters in Florida thank you! lol

I actually worked there in 2003 during Christmas and they were the place to be for winter apparel. Apparently they failed to change with the times.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:36 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Sad to hear. I really like their 1969 line of jeans, especially the Japanese selvedge versions.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM

2,026 posts, read 333,778 times
That sucks but some of their clothes looked outdated at one point or another. Their kids' section is far better, however..

Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 AM

95 posts, read 204,185 times
I stopped shopping there for myself after my 20's. We had been getting their kids stuff for my girls, but the quality doesn't seem very good as they tend to fall apart sooner than other brands we've getting.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They've been in trouble for some time. If you used to shop at GAP where do you now shop?

Gap to close 175 stores in North America - The Washington Post
That is a LOT of stores closing. Im surprised. I'd think that their Old Navy brand would be the first to go because that store has nothing but crap. Banana Republic has nice, well made quality clothes so I'd expect them to be good, but Gap is kinda your average, everyday regular dude summer casual wear. Not fancy, but just "nice". Guess people either want more than just "nice" (Banana Republic) or they want cheap crap (Old Navy).

I guess also part of the cost cutting could be due to many of the brick and mortar stores they have being so close. Not too far from me in Studio City, there is a large Gap just two doors away from a large Banana Republic. I mean, they are separated by two tiny, tiny restaurants.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
That is a LOT of stores closing. Im surprised. I'd think that their Old Navy brand would be the first to go because that store has nothing but crap. Banana Republic has nice, well made quality clothes so I'd expect them to be good, but Gap is kinda your average, everyday regular dude summer casual wear. Not fancy, but just "nice". Guess people either want more than just "nice" (Banana Republic) or they want cheap crap (Old Navy).

I guess also part of the cost cutting could be due to many of the brick and mortar stores they have being so close. Not too far from me in Studio City, there is a large Gap just two doors away from a large Banana Republic. I mean, they are separated by two tiny, tiny restaurants.

Those two stores dont serve the same market. One has 20 dollar shorts the other has tailored suits.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 AM

95 posts, read 204,185 times
Actually, I had read some where that Old Navy had really turned itself around and was doing way better than Gap or Banana Republic, and that it was attempting to become more "fast fashion" like H&M, etc with some success. It kind of surprised me, I had always thought of Old Navy as some place you take your tweens for back to school shopping before they knew any better, or some place a dorky dad might buy clothes to look like the hep kids.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Gap always disappointed me because they didn't ever really expand into the larger size ranges, so there was literally nothing in the store that would fit my size 16 self. Yes, I could lose weight, but the fact remains that they excluded millions of customers with their sizing.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I found the quality of their stuff to be not what it used to be....and the jeans are always a mess, they stretch out after an hour or two.

I remember back in high school Gap was the place to shop...but now, i never see anyone in there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty