Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Are you Marina Sirtis???????

Why yes I is...Shhhhhhh...

JK~ I do get told that a lot...Had someone ask for my autograph while dinning in Seattle WA, on vacation a few years back.. lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post

I hit 60 last year and am going to go with a Hillary Clinton blonde look. I don't think I'd want to stand out in a crowd with lilac or pink or something. But you are so right. It makes one look TIRED.

That woman looks tired at all times. Do you sport corrective prism glasses to go with the do?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I'm getting close to 60. My hair was naturally dark brown and now it's about 10% gray. I like it. It looks like highlights which I never had when I was younger.

Occasionally, I use that temp hair color (the kind that washes out after 12 shampoos) but not very often.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
There are several shampoos out there now for grey hair. They are actually purple tinted, and they help remove the brass-y and yellow undertones of many grey hairs. Sometimes this alone can brighten the hairs, and depending upon your hair color, can look more like highlights.

My hairdresser recommended it to me, as we debate about what to do with my hair. I get the cheap drug store Jhirmack brand, that has been around for like 50 years. I am in my mid 40's with many grey/white hairs on top of medium/mixed brown base. I'm at least 25% grey.

I'm going with my grey. I would need to dye every 3-4 weeks with highlights otherwise. Too time consuming and expensive. But I keep a very neat contemporary haircut, use enough make-up (using the no-make up make-up technique) so that my eyes and lips pop with a touch of color on my cheeks. I look good for my age, but I look.... my age! A very healthy 45.

Isn't that ok?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That woman looks tired at all times. Do you sport corrective prism glasses to go with the do?
yes, she does! I always wonder why a woman with her money and connections manages to look so bad.

Those pantsuits have got to go. Has she ever worn anything floral or patterned? She looked better with the shorter hair.

And she doesn't have "chores" to do after her work day is over. She looks unhealthy.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes, she does! I always wonder why a woman with her money and connections manages to look so bad.

Those pantsuits have got to go. Has she ever worn anything floral or patterned? She looked better with the shorter hair.

And she doesn't have "chores" to do after her work day is over. She looks unhealthy.
I agree. And she looks MUCH older than her years. She is only a couple years older than me, but she looks about 20 years older. She is what I call a major frump.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/hillary-c...mpaign-ad-2016

Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I am not female nor vain.

BUT, I decided to try dying my beard when it finally all went gray. {it was bright red and wouldn't have taken the color all the same it would have been blotchy gray and red-brown}. Also, Just For Men doesn't make a red beard colorant. My hair {what is left of it} is actually light-medium brown.

I have decided I DON'T Care if it is colored or NOT. I EARNED The gray in years of living I have put in!!

It is just like succumbing to the half-balding I have done over the years. SO WHAT???

I can have a half bald head and a fully gray beard and NOT be subconscious!!

But that is ME. Your Mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. don't cry over spilt milk.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
Please men.... definitely do not dye. You are so lucky that society embraces greying men and in fact, it can actually make you appear more attractive. And these days bald is in so please keep your hair/beards well trimmed (or less so, if you are able to pull off the rugged good-looks look) and you are good to go.

Actually, in my circles it would hurt you to dye your hair as a man. It often is not natural appearing, and even worse, we can tell you are dying. Then it makes you look insecure, vain, clueless, and desperate to find a teeny-bopper. And the teeny-boppers will laugh at you much more than me.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
63, dyed my hair till just a few months ago. the best hair color IMO for grey hair is to do highlights of blonde rather than one single darker hair color. the grow out is not as noticeable. dying your hair too dark really can age you more than grey hair will.

I quit coloring my hair 6 or 7 years ago and didn't really like it as I didn't have enough grey around the sides to give my face any light. so I started highlighting again.

I don't mind so much the money it costs to keep it up (no I wouldn't do it myself) I resent the time I lose sitting in that chair, I hate it. my hair is now almost grown out, the blond highlight is very close to my lightest grey so there really isn't much of a "root" line.

the sides are still a tad too dark, but I will live with that rather than sit in that stupid chair. I would call my hair color a combination of shades of grey. some are white, some of it is silver and some of it is a dull grey because there is still more dark then grey. at this stage of the game I am willing to go natural than sit in the chair every few months.

they key I think to grey hair looking great is if you have a decent amount that surrounds the face you'll look fine even if it isn't the fabulous grey some ladies get. besides after a certain age, dyed hair or not, we are not fooling anyone.

we should do what pleases us and makes us feel good.
It's easy and faster to do it yourself.

Use a cap frosting system, and use the small metal hook to pull out small strands and use every hole in he cap.

I get complements on my hair all the time.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 66 and feel lucky that my hair is totally silver-white, no salt-and-pepper or yellowing. It's healthy, shiny, and thick, no pink scalp peeking through like on so many my age.
I wear it very short (pixie length) and tousled, get it trimmed every 3 weeks. My hairdresser is a great help in keeping the look "current".

Like others have said, I had to make wardrobe and makeup changes, all for the better!

I have pale, cool skin tones, dark eyes, lashes, and brows which go well with the silver. I find I do look washed-out unless I wear red lipstick (something I never did as a brunette) and a whisper of blush.
I'm never without my silver earrings and I've learned to avoid pastels and washed-out colors. My closet and drawers are full of bold colors.

I'd look younger if I colored my hair but I'd also look boring. My shining silver cap of hair seems to have liberated me, I feel like I've at last found my sense of style.
What was your transition like, and what did you do with it then? Surely you didn't go white overnight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty