Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 03:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Dealing with gray hair is one thing, however white is another matter entirely.

Difference technically is that long as your natural hair color is visible in some percentage that is "gray". This is because there really isn't such a thing as gray hair, it just looks that way against the background of the natural or colored hair, but it still is white.

Once you have zero natural or whatever color, that is solid or nearly white hair keeping it colored is almost as much work as being a bottled blonde from brunette.

A good friend of mine now has the dreaded solid white hair line. Her hair grows fast so barely about two weeks after having her roots done she looks like a raccoon. *LOL* Finally her hairdresser suggested light to medium brown highlights around the face with dark brown elsewhere. That is helping keep the touch-up appointments down, but still is a battle.

Women I've known who decided to "let their gray come in" simply couldn't be bothered any longer with the upkeep of coloring their hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I pay about $9 a month to color my hair. I've been playing with various hair colors since I was about 20 years old, when I didn't have a gray hair on my head. I enjoy playing with hair color, makeup, nail polish, different fashions, etc. I don't do it for anyone but myself - though my husband does always appreciate that I keep myself attractive, well groomed, and up to date fashion-wise.
KA, I am sure your stylist is doing a good job for you and I feel you are getting a good bargain. However, many of us would pay far more for hair coloring if we went that route. I have been told by a reliable stylist that some women do pay thousands a year on color treatments for their hair. I have had my own hair lightened in the past, and I am sure I paid much more that $9 for that treatment.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Dealing with gray hair is one thing, however white is another matter entirely.

Difference technically is that long as your natural hair color is visible in some percentage that is "gray". This is because there really isn't such a thing as gray hair, it just looks that way against the background of the natural or colored hair, but it still is white.

Once you have zero natural or whatever color, that is solid or nearly white hair keeping it colored is almost as much work as being a bottled blonde from brunette.

A good friend of mine now has the dreaded solid white hair line. Her hair grows fast so barely about two weeks after having her roots done she looks like a raccoon. *LOL* Finally her hairdresser suggested light to medium brown highlights around the face with dark brown elsewhere. That is helping keep the touch-up appointments down, but still is a battle.

Women I've known who decided to "let their gray come in" simply couldn't be bothered any longer with the upkeep of coloring their hair.
I can relate to this. With me, it would be blonde forever on the tips, and gradations of white the closer to my scalp it went. I am one of those who can't be bothered. For me and to my way of thinking, coloring my hair is a waste of time and money. But I don't begrudge this to others.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I can relate to this. With me, it would be blonde forever on the tips, and gradations of white the closer to my scalp it went. I am one of those who can't be bothered. For me and to my way of thinking, coloring my hair is a waste of time and money. But I don't begrudge this to others.
At least in the African-American community the reason you see so many older women wearing wigs is a way of getting around "gray hair" and the damage that can come from chemical processing.

Oprah stopped relaxing her hair years ago out of the choice many African-American women must do at sometime in their lives; choose either permanent color *OR* chemical straightening, not both. Double processing Black hair is a recipe for disaster, so a choice must be made. In Oprah's case she can have her hair colored because she went back to natural hair using press and curl (probably with a flat iron). She also rounds things out by wearing hair (wigs or pieces). Of course Oprah has more money than God and thus can afford to have her hair person on retainer. *LOL*

Think blondes have an easier time of dealing with gray/white hair. Brunettes especially black and dark brown is another matter. Nothing is worse than seeing an older lady or even gentleman with ink black hair with a hairline that looks like Eddie Munster. That or again the dreaded raccoon look caused by white roots framing the face with dyed dark hair on balance.

Ladies the key is *NOT* to emulate the hair color you had in your youth. Rather as one becomes older the hair should be lighter. Darker hair on most older persons looks harsh, especially if they use home dye jobs with very opaque (think shoe polish black) color.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:15 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Everyone should do what they are happy with. What I find sad - and what convinces me, yet again, there isn't really a sisterhood - is the putting down of other women's appearance. So what if a woman carries an extra 20 pounds. So what if she does not color her hair or wear makeup. I know quite a few women who are very low maintenance, but are wonderful people who do an amazing amount of good in the world. We should all be beyond judging by appearances and if someone is clean and presentable, that should be good enough. As for Hilary Clinton, why is her appearance picked on over and over again? Does she owe it to others to look the way they want her to? Is anyone complaining about male politician's lack of attractiveness? That sort of thing is so shallow and mean-spirited, especially when perpetuated by other women.
This is the best response in this thread.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:39 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
This is the best response in this thread.
Yes I agree. That is the best response.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:51 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Everyone should do what they are happy with. What I find sad - and what convinces me, yet again, there isn't really a sisterhood - is the putting down of other women's appearance. So what if a woman carries an extra 20 pounds. So what if she does not color her hair or wear makeup. I know quite a few women who are very low maintenance, but are wonderful people who do an amazing amount of good in the world. We should all be beyond judging by appearances and if someone is clean and presentable, that should be good enough. As for Hilary Clinton, why is her appearance picked on over and over again? Does she owe it to others to look the way they want her to? Is anyone complaining about male politician's lack of attractiveness? That sort of thing is so shallow and mean-spirited, especially when perpetuated by other women.
I think Hillary Clinton is an attractive woman. I also liked her hair when she wore it long - when Bill Clinton was running for president. The press and others got on her case because she did not sport the usual "First Lady Crop".

She seems to have come into her own now and she is wearing her hair longer and softer.

In terms of people who let weight creep up, just as I am not the hair police, I am not the weight police. Do what makes you feel good!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 PM

When the economic crisis and financial meltdown of late happened along with the resulting recession, suddenly all around NYC you saw an uptick of roots growing out. *LOL*

Blondes with dark roots. All shades and hues of tints with grey/white roots, it really was too sad. Many of my hairdresser friends reported business was way down as customers couldn't afford their bi-monthly or even monthly touch-up color appointments.

People started looking for cheaper options; perhaps going to a budget/lower priced salon, growing out their color all together (including letting the gray come in), or heading for CVS, Duane Read or eBay and purchasing color in attempts to do the job themselves.

Dirty secret in Manhattan and some of the more wealthy parts of New York is you can tell a female's financial status by her hair, especially the color. If those roots are coming in, highlights fading and so forth it is often taken as a sign the household's finances are on unstable ground. This usually is a reflection upon the husband in some quarters since trophy wives here do not work.

As you can imagine in a city with so many blondes when the above happens it can lead to some interesting looks.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
KA, I am sure your stylist is doing a good job for you and I feel you are getting a good bargain. However, many of us would pay far more for hair coloring if we went that route. I have been told by a reliable stylist that some women do pay thousands a year on color treatments for their hair. I have had my own hair lightened in the past, and I am sure I paid much more that $9 for that treatment.

I don't have my hair lightened or highlighted though. I simply dye it myself, dark reddish brown, which I THINK was it's natural color before I got so much gray in it! I mean, I honestly haven't seen my natural color in probably thirty years so I'm just guessing! LOL

I wear my hair very short, in a pixie cut - been wearing it that way for at least twenty years - so it's easy to keep dyed and cut short. I have very thick, coarse hair so I get it chopped off, thinned out, and spiked up every four weeks or so and then I go home and throw some box dye on it and it's good for another four weeks.

I'm lucky that I don't have to perm it, straighten it, curl it, highlight it, or even spend much time styling it. I wash it about every three days, let it air dry, hit it with a few licks of the flat iron so I can spike it, hit it with some pomade and I'm out the door. The other two days take even less work before I wash it again. My hair literally takes me three minutes on average to "fix" daily, a thirty minute cut (no set) once a month, and a $9 box of hair dye afterwards.

I'm pretty lucky I guess.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
At least in the African-American community the reason you see so many older women wearing wigs is a way of getting around "gray hair" and the damage that can come from chemical processing.

Oprah stopped relaxing her hair years ago out of the choice many African-American women must do at sometime in their lives; choose either permanent color *OR* chemical straightening, not both. Double processing Black hair is a recipe for disaster, so a choice must be made. In Oprah's case she can have her hair colored because she went back to natural hair using press and curl (probably with a flat iron). She also rounds things out by wearing hair (wigs or pieces). Of course Oprah has more money than God and thus can afford to have her hair person on retainer. *LOL*

Think blondes have an easier time of dealing with gray/white hair. Brunettes especially black and dark brown is another matter. Nothing is worse than seeing an older lady or even gentleman with ink black hair with a hairline that looks like Eddie Munster. That or again the dreaded raccoon look caused by white roots framing the face with dyed dark hair on balance.

Ladies the key is *NOT* to emulate the hair color you had in your youth. Rather as one becomes older the hair should be lighter. Darker hair on most older persons looks harsh, especially if they use home dye jobs with very opaque (think shoe polish black) color.
Yes to everything in this note. Even though I think it is up to the person to make her own decision, I have too, too many times seen dyed black hair showing the wide part of an older woman's thinning hair, and the real disconnect between the face and the hair. And, also dyed hair looks all one color. Natural hair does not.

I think if you look at progressive pics of Barbara Walters, you will see her original brunette color gradually lighten as she aged. She had expert stylists who knew what they were doing, and plenty of resources to spend. But any one of us should be able to gradually lighten if one has access to a decent stylist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty