Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 PM

372 posts, read 531,455 times

Advertisements

Today, my father gave me "Blue Waltz", a fragrance my mother had unopened and tucked away.

While different from "Evening in Paris" it made me think of all the favorite fragrances of yesteryear.

As a child, I loved the Ben Franklin Dime Store, and all the beauty products on display.
I especially loved the way fragrances were marketed... and still do.

As an adult, Chanel No 5 has been a favorite for many decades, as well as Niki de Saint Phalle.

But still, the smell of "Blue Waltz" was deeply soothing... like an old, loved friend.

Scent is such a powerful memory.

I have no conscious recollection of this fragrance from years past, but I am touched by how much I loved it when I opened it.

Is it crazy to wear it?

Do you wear fragrances from yesteryear?

I'm older, but still a little sassy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:33 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,251,597 times
LOL!! I actually have a bottle of Blue Waltz that I bought from Ebay years ago. And I have some Evening in Paris as well.

My mother wore My Sin the most and it was wonderful. It was one of those fragrances that smell strong and almost stinky in the bottle, but dab it on and my, oh, my!

My favorite fragrance is Cher Uninhibited from the 80's. Was discontinued a few years later, but I stocked up on (also from Ebay) several years ago.

Other "old" fragrances that I own and wear are: Tabu, a bottle of My Sin, Channel #5, Shalimar, and even a few oils - frangipani and musk.

I do not like any of current fragrances that are endorsed by celebrities. Most of them smell too sweet.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:57 AM

50,095 posts, read 63,467,387 times
I have Shalimar and Tabu right now. I usually wear Shalimar. The only newer fragrance I like lately is Angel.
I used to wear Poison, but I don't know if that is old or new.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 AM

2,266 posts, read 4,102,750 times
I love Shalimar; the sweet, powdery smell is lovely and my DH likes it too. I also have Chanel No 5,. My Aunt used to give it to us (all of the nieces) and the smell reminds me of my childhood. I rarely wear it; I just like to put it on a handkerchief and just inhale it.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,906,695 times
Back in the day, Blue Waltz was every little girl's first "perfume". We bought it in the dime store for 10 cents. lol Along with Blue Waltz, we bought our first lipstick Tangee Natural. Also 10 cents.

Of the old fragrance, I always loved Coty's Emeraude. Until a friend returned from Europe and brought me a bottle of L'Interdit.

These days, I don't wear scent. Too many times I've choked on the strong smell of someone's "trail" in the store. I swear, one woman had on something that actually made my eyes water.

If Avon would bring back "Forever Spring" I could wear that; a very light joyful aroma.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 AM

372 posts, read 531,455 times
I had forgotten about Shalimar... that was one of my favorites!!

My great-grandmother (by marriage, so she was my grandmother's age--haha, scandalous!) wore Jean Nate'.

Funny how when I write that, I can still smell that crisp, distinct fragrance. It was great for summer.

I'm going to check out My Sin (and Shalimar).

I love the suggestion of putting it on a handkerchief!

I agree about newer fragrances... I'm not a fan of most.

The newest I have are Beige by Chanel... and Neroli Portifino by Tom Ford (unisex).

The the ones from yesteryear--oh how they are my favorites!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,906,034 times
OP you are lucky to have rec'd an original fragrance that was tucked away....so many of the formulas have changed that new versions are nothing like the old favorites.

I loved Dune by Dior....the dry-down at the end was soft, warm and powdery and I got tons of compliments on it. I went a few years without it, then splurged on a bottle. What a disappointment!! The new Dune is nothing like the old one...it doesn't last hours and never gets to that soft stage.

I've heard many women complain about their favorite fragrance not being the same. Wish they left all the formulas alone.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM

160 posts, read 239,511 times
I'm a guy, and I have a bottle of Aramis cologne that reminds me very much of what my father wore in the 1980s and 1990s, but I believe the fragrance dates to the 1960s, so I suppose it's a bit retro.

I don't wear it very often.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,714,092 times
Wow, my mom is also a Shalimar gal. Grandma wore Miss Dior. I fell in love with Samsara years ago. I have a bottle of Coach that I like in the summer.

Too bad frangrance has gone by the wayside these days, I remember never leaving the house without it.....*sigh*

Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,441,302 times
I sometimes use both Shalimar and Channel # 5. Love them both. But for everyday, I use Light Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty