Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should more men wear mankinis
Absolutely NOT 20 36.36%
If they have great bodies 6 10.91%
Its their choice 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times

Advertisements

American men are in a real identity crises and swimsuits are a real indicator. First, most men can't swim. Second, most men are insecure in their bodies. While women have no problem with clothing that shows their curves and bumps, men have huge issues. Why, I'm not sure, but I have a hunch it has to do with an inner conflict. Men used to show off their prowress and were the aggressors. Not any more. They've been relegated to the wimpy docile category, afraid to be seen or heard. In a way its the feminization of men. The women stand out and are the assertive ones. So men have covered themselves with what I call MURKAS---- (mens version of Burkas). They might as well go back to wearing shirts and full length pants at the beach. If a guy is slim, works out, swims, why not wear a "mankini"? They are growing in popularity in the Carribean for sure. In Europe, board shorts aren't even allowed in public pools. When you're actually swimming, a male needs something he won't drown in. That means less is better. Obviously a woman's breasts are usually supported, not smashed together. Their bulges seem acceptable. But a man's physiology is just the opposite. It needs to be hidden, not supported. The only way that happens is to wear loose fitting, boxer like shorts. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything other than a very brief speedo type swimsuit that will obviously show several of my bulges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill707 View Post
American men are in a real identity crises and swimsuits are a real indicator. First, most men can't swim. Second, most men are insecure in their bodies. While women have no problem with clothing that shows their curves and bumps, men have huge issues. Why, I'm not sure, but I have a hunch it has to do with an inner conflict. Men used to show off their prowress and were the aggressors. Not any more. They've been relegated to the wimpy docile category, afraid to be seen or heard. In a way its the feminization of men. The women stand out and are the assertive ones. So men have covered themselves with what I call MURKAS---- (mens version of Burkas). They might as well go back to wearing shirts and full length pants at the beach. If a guy is slim, works out, swims, why not wear a "mankini"? They are growing in popularity in the Carribean for sure. In Europe, board shorts aren't even allowed in public pools. When you're actually swimming, a male needs something he won't drown in. That means less is better. Obviously a woman's breasts are usually supported, not smashed together. Their bulges seem acceptable. But a man's physiology is just the opposite. It needs to be hidden, not supported. The only way that happens is to wear loose fitting, boxer like shorts. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything other than a very brief speedo type swimsuit that will obviously show several of my bulges.
So your first post is a vent about mankini's huh?, some lessons we don't need to learn a second time.

There's nothing wrong with Speedos at the beach or when you're busting laps, but like many other items of clothing they are "location appropriate". I point that out because back in the 80's in many warmer cities like Miami, men were wearing speedos as "Recreational shorts". You would see guys wearing speedos with a shirt walking their dog, grocery shopping, playing frisbee in the park or whatever. It was just wrong. Many woman of today are repeating the exact same mistake when they wear very sheer, up the crack yoga pants to nice bars and restaurants. Like I said - Location appropriate.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 06-28-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,263 times
I will attempt to answer this question with this post that I posted on the "What's with older dudes and short shorts" thread. Although this was about shorts, the same reasoning applies to why American men wear long swimsuits. Here it is:

I agree that today's shorts for males are rediculously long and baggy, but I am starting to see the return of shorter mens' shorts. However, it will be awhile before upper or mid thigh mens' shorts, if ever, become popular again. I mean no offense to anyone for what I'm about to say, but I see this for several reasons:

1. Short shorts on men are now considered gay by a large section of the population, both male and female alike. This is largely due to a cultural shift that occurred in the mid to late 1980s, where men started covering themselves up as a reaction to the Gay Identity movement at that time. Hip Hop went mainstream at that time, and its long and baggy style became the only way for males, young and old alike, to dress. All clothes for males, especially younger males, from the 1990s on until about 2 years ago, was long and baggy. At the same time, females began showing more and more skin. Go to any beach, and you will now see men wearing big, bulky, and long-tentlike boardshorts and women wearing barely nothing, tie on the side string bikinis. At the same time, if a guy wanted to wear short shorts, it would be very hard because hardly anybody makes them for men anymore, with the exception of running shorts, and even most men now wear those longer, too. The only athletes who were the short shorts now seem to be marathon runners and professional wrestlers.

2. At least one whole generation of people were not alive or were very young when men regularly wore shorter shorts. They are now entering their 20s, and it will take a lot to convince them that this is an okay thing to do. There is a group on Facebook called "Men Can Wear Short Shorts Too" where the members often talk of harrassment by others for wearing short shorts and being men. The harrassment includes having strangers take their picture, rude comments from young men and women alike, and being pointed and laughed at. I once saw an older man wearing short shorts being harassed by several teen boys, one of which kept saying to the man "Why don't you just say that your gay!" and holding his cellphone up as if he was recording the incident.

3. Most heterosexual women these days, young and old, actually prefer to see males in longer shorts. I don't know why that is, but maybe someone can shed some light here, but they act as if the male thigh is a very disgusting thing while not even minding seeing other females nearly naked.

4. Most men value their manhood above just about anything else, and especially, their straight manhood if they are straight. While women have fought for and won, and rightfully so, many of the social acceptance and freedoms that they now have, I believe that a lot of men would feel fighting for some things, like the social acceptance to wear short shorts, will be an affront to their straight-manhoodness.

Now, shorts for males are becoming shorter, right above the knee. I think that if somehow, a young alpha male pop cultural icon goes around in short shorts, then the look has a good chance of coming back. It will be a tough sell, but possible. I think that men should be allowed to wear short shorts if they want to. I know that I would.

Last edited by Kemba; 06-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I think guys wear long shorts because it's the style of the day. I know lots of runners and they certainly aren't afraid of wearing short shorts while they are running, but for casual wear they wear longer shorts because that's the current fashion for guys. My son is a competitive swimmer, and is completely comfortable in a skin tight jammer at the pool, but he runs in thigh length shorts because that's what all guys his age wear, even for long distance running. At a pool party or the beach, he is wearing board shorts. And he can out swim you all He and my husband are very masculine.

I see lots of pastels and bright colors for casual wear, but the shorts are only getting marginally shorter.

There is a man in my neighborhood that wears the teeniest, tiniest shorts and runs all over the place. He is about 70. It's not attractive in any way

Old 06-28-2015, 05:31 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I refuse to wear any board shorts and have for a long time. In fact , my swimming suit is a speedo square cut that will NOT balloon up when getting in the pool. I also have my casual shorts that I wear that are from Territory Ahead that are about 6 inseam. I refuse to wear anything that look like pantaloons and nothing below the knee. As far as mankini, I am too old for that and wife would really have a cow. Plus, here in TX, probably be arrested. LOL

You see these women going around in really short shorts and some that are so tight you can see the outline of the labia. Tell me, is that attractive? How about folds and cellulite on full display?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I think guys wear long shorts because it's the style of the day. I know lots of runners and they certainly aren't afraid of wearing short shorts while they are running, but for casual wear they wear longer shorts because that's the current fashion for guys. My son is a competitive swimmer, and is completely comfortable in a skin tight jammer at the pool, but he runs in thigh length shorts because that's what all guys his age wear, even for long distance running. At a pool party or the beach, he is wearing board shorts. And he can out swim you all He and my husband are very masculine.

I see lots of pastels and bright colors for casual wear, but the shorts are only getting marginally shorter.

There is a man in my neighborhood that wears the teeniest, tiniest shorts and runs all over the place. He is about 70. It's not attractive in any way

And they became the shorts/swimsuits of the day for the reasons I listed above. Unlike women, who have a choice in the matter of long or short, men have no choice but to follow the long shorts/swimsuit trend or risk social harassment and shaming. I can't speak about the 70 year old man, but from experience, no one I know had a problem with men's legs pre-1990s. Now, the same people are abhorred by the idea that a man, even on the beach, would wear something shorter than knee length. My post that I recycled is about 4 years old. Since then, I have noticed mens shorter shorts and swimsuits come slowly back into noticable, but not yet mainstream, acceptance. By shorter, I mean from just above the knee to mid-thigh. I also noticed this mostly among younger guys in major cities of the Southeast.

Last edited by Kemba; 06-28-2015 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill707 View Post
While women have no problem with clothing that shows their curves and bumps, men have huge issues.
omg, I disagree with this! I see too many men that should be getting "tickets" for having their guts stick out and overlap. No need to see all of that! Put a shirt on!
My neighbor on my left--put a shirt on when cutting your grass, no need to see all of that. My neighbor on my right--good job, you can keep that shirt off!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I am in the Southeast, and your description sounds about right for what I see here.

Women also wear dresses here. lots of them. I am a jeans kind of gal, but my 18 year old's closet is half full of very cute, feminine dresses.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
So your first post is a vent about mankini's huh?
My guess is this isn't really a first-time poster. It's highly unlikely that a first timer would know how to post a poll.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
You're an idiot.

Do you even know what a mankini is?

In before it's closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty