U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering.

I consider myself to be fairly fashionable, although I'm not really into a lot of trends...let's face it, some trends are hideous, but whatever.

Anyway, even though I put an effort into how I look and what I wear, I can say with 100 percent honesty that I do NOT care about what others wear.

Sure, if I see a 300lb woman who is wearing skin-tight purple leggings and a crop top at the grocery store, it's going to catch my attention. Do I really care, though? No. I don't. I'm not offended and don't care. There are people who dedicate all of their free time, though, to making stupid blogs like "People of Walmart" or posting hateful crap on their Facebook pages and whatnot.

Yet, it goes way deeper than that. I read a post on one of my beauty forums tonight that was ranting about women who wear kitten heels. The poster said that she thinks that kitten heels should all be burned and that all women who wear them should die. Really? Because their heels aren't tall or fashionable enough for you?

I suppose I just wonder why or how people can care this much about what others wear. In a way, I think it must be a miserable existence to constantly critique what every person is wearing.

I know I'm wasting time right now myself, but it does seem like a big waste of time to have a hobby that requires you to pay THAT much attention to what everyone else is wearing, then go home or to a forum to complain about it or compose a blog post about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
I know....you're right!

If someone doesn't like something...don't do it. If it offends you, don't look at it. Your being offended offends me. So there.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
"Why Do People Care So Much About What Other People Wear? "

Probably for the same reasons that some people care about what other people think.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 5,430 times
Because it's human nature. We're visual and opinionated creatures.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM

615 posts, read 378,256 times
well a persons appearance is the first thing someone sees.. I think its normal to observe and if it looks weird your life whoa..lol I personally am into fashion and I always make sure im looking decent and nice no matter where I go....but what gets me is how a lot of people don't take pride in their appearance...I understand being comfortable but I mean sheesh its not that hard to make an effort to look decent..i don't care if you buy your clothes at target or rodeo drive....you can still look nice if you put in the effort....

Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
I like that you don't care. Summer=sleeveless & sunscreen for me outside work. I feel most comfortable in it given summer here is unusually hot.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,935,218 times
The most stylish, well-dressed people I know do not care what others wear. They have fun and reap the benefits of looking good. The catty, judgemental types seem to be insecure, dowdy or very conservative people, who are just as judgey towards more stylish people as they are toward slobs.

The only time I "care" about what someone else wears is if
- It is really obscene or inappropriate to the point of being rude. What we wear does communicate how we regard people and situations and it does suggest to others how we want to be treated.
- They complain about not getting dates, not getting jobs, etc, but do not put any effort into their appearance. They can look how they want, but they cannot force others to like it. They should change their look or stop complaining.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 PM

896 posts, read 864,071 times
i don't care but i will look intently even if it's a man who is dressed like a super model. i once saw a cop who was formerly a model here at nypd (in brooklyn) on the train. he said he had done modeling and the gig was a joke so he signed up to be a cop. i saw another man who had an incredible face a few days ago on the train. well there are indeed many good looking men and women here in nyc anyway because of modeling gigs. that brings up how they dress. most of them dress avg. but when they do dress up, they look incredible. i need not mention that i would look and care about how a girl looks. uh, duh. obviously i would because my testosterone doesn't stop reminding to do so, even in my sleep (literally). ladies! please show cleavage and be generous with your jeans and dresses to your curves! we love to admire you!

again, studies have shown ppl. are treated differently based on genetic looks as well as how they are dressed. we are visual creatures. aren't all animals who can see make judgments based on looks to begin with?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,263 times
Well, people are going to notice what people, and their environment, looks like. I think opinions are going to form in their brain. But, caring... that's different. I think people should realize noticing and forming and opinion are one thing - in a way, that might be hard to control. Like if someone bends down in front of you and their stuff is hanging out, you might notice and be shocked... you can't help that. Your brain will tell you the thong is purple, there is some weird poo color there, oh gross they didn't clean up.... your brain will instantly tell you if it's attractive to you and you want to look more or if it's not appealing and look away... things like that. But actually caring or getting upset/mad/offended and dwelling on it, bitching about it to people throughout the day, thinking that person must be an awful person, deciding to mock that person....or deciding to just get on with your day and let it go, get over it... maybe that's the difference.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 AM

367 posts, read 312,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm just wondering.

I consider myself to be fairly fashionable, although I'm not really into a lot of trends...let's face it, some trends are hideous, but whatever.

Anyway, even though I put an effort into how I look and what I wear, I can say with 100 percent honesty that I do NOT care about what others wear.

Sure, if I see a 300lb woman who is wearing skin-tight purple leggings and a crop top at the grocery store, it's going to catch my attention. Do I really care, though? No. I don't. I'm not offended and don't care. There are people who dedicate all of their free time, though, to making stupid blogs like "People of Walmart" or posting hateful crap on their Facebook pages and whatnot.

Yet, it goes way deeper than that. I read a post on one of my beauty forums tonight that was ranting about women who wear kitten heels. The poster said that she thinks that kitten heels should all be burned and that all women who wear them should die. Really? Because their heels aren't tall or fashionable enough for you?
I have no idea what a kitten heel is, that's how much I pay attention to what people wear. I could not care less. I think people should wear what they want I mean as long as they're properly covered by whatever law is in effect in their area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or