Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Evolutionary", no. Commercial, yes. Or surgical, more precisely.
While I know plenty of women who have larger breasts, I do not know anyone who has implants. So to say all women in the 1970s had small breasts, and any women today who doesn't has had them surgically enhanced is such a strange thing to say. I know plenty of women who were around in the 70s who are do not support the other poster's claim.

And no, its not that they have had surgery or are fat. They just have a natural large bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,847,569 times
In the Western world, men have never shown off their bodies as much as women. Even gay men now don't show off as much as women. I don't understand why some women want to show off to a great extent to the general public, even when it looks good. The negative attention it gets from creepy men and irritated women just doesn't seem worth it. Society has limits and people limit themselves for reasons.

By the way, I never said all women in the 70's had small breasts, for I'm not an idiot.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,677,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
While I know plenty of women who have larger breasts, I do not know anyone who has implants. So to say all women in the 1970s had small breasts, and any women today who doesn't has had them surgically enhanced is such a strange thing to say. I know plenty of women who were around in the 70s who are do not support the other poster's claim.

And no, its not that they have had surgery or are fat. They just have a natural large bust.
The point is that there has been a virtual explosion of breast implantation in the last couple of decades. It's not uncommon these days for parents to award a girl with breast implants as a high school graduation present.

https://www.pacificheightsplasticsur...nt-statistics/

This indicates a 39% increase in breast implants between 2000 and 2010, but the rate had been climbing even before then.

This is not an evenly distributed increase however--it's mostly taken place in the Western US, so casual observers in different parts of the country may count very different numbers.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM

16,403 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A lot of movies from the 70s and even 80s seem to indicate bras were optional. There were lots of nipples on display back then. There were even bras with false nipples so they'd always poke out--I think the magazine ad mentioned what an "ultra-feminine" look it was. I was in high school in the 80s, and the miniskirts girls wore just barely covered our butts. I've seen many dresses from the 60s that were also that short. I have no idea how women sat down in those things. Hemlines went back down in the 70s, but fashions went gypsy/bohemian and the bras came off.

Remember tube tops? Those silky "dolphin" jogging shorts cut up to the hips? Rompers?

You're just getting old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3J3F0TAVRg

`

Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,840,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
In the Western world, men have never shown off their bodies as much as women. Even gay men now don't show off as much as women. I don't understand why some women want to show off to a great extent to the general public, even when it looks good. The negative attention it gets from creepy men and irritated women just doesn't seem worth it. Society has limits and people limit themselves for reasons.

By the way, I never said all women in the 70's had small breasts, for I'm not an idiot.
Men do , They show nipples which women can't.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,847,569 times
Okay, true, but aside from runners and men at the beach, the male chest isn't publicly revealed to show off (say, man-boobs visible in a shirt).

Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,947,930 times
Well, I'm not complaining about it.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 AM

142 posts, read 176,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
To me, the trend toward low-rise pants left a lot more hanging out than there used to be. Yoga pants seem more covered than that. I'm not sure if wearing leggings is narcissistic, a lot of people look very sloppy in them, like they probably don't own a full length mirror if they're going out in public dressed that way.

From looking at pictures of my mom and mother-in-law in the 60's, they both wore their skirts a lot shorter than people wear them now, and my mother-in-law had some pretty skimpy halter tops and bell bottoms that she wore in the 70's, and my mom had dresses that were very low cut.

Maybe you're just focusing a lot more on young women than you did when you were younger.
With the word "covered" it seems you're overlooking the main effect of yoga pants, i.e. the visual appearance of nudity without actual skin showing. They are ridiculously form-fitting. Do women somehow not see them as men do?

I do realize that younger women are more "frustrating" to look at as I age, but I never remembered so much form-fitting stuff in years gone by. It's all about the yoga pants aka leggings and jeggings. That's the big change for me.

Those who've pointed out the increase in breast implants also have a good point. It might all tie together in the flauntiverse.

Last edited by Vodoven; 07-29-2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 AM

30,227 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Men sexually harassing women has nothing to do with the women's attractiveness.
If she feels good about herself, there's nothing wrong with that. I have seen guys harass better looking women more than they harass not as good looking women, so it does play a part.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 AM

142 posts, read 176,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I object to the OP's phrasing "Are women flaunting their wares". Wares are items for sale. Women are not advertising their bodies for sale, no matter what they wearing.
The word "sale" may not be directly accurate but they are definitely trying to be noticed, and many of them are surely reaping monetary benefits from it. I'm not calling them hookers, but it's not a detached concept either. They advertise their shapes like candy on the streets and many probably hope to be cat-called (so to speak) by the right type of guy, from which could come many potential rewards. It's especially true if they lack the education or ambition for high income themselves. Let's just not be vague about what visual advertising can do for women, and has done throughout history.

I really think I see a lot more "revelations" on the streets these days, especially below the waist. Overall, I think it's gone too far and women should be more modest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty