Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Joking aside...I offered to take a photo of a family in Disney so they all fit in it, because they were attempting a "selfie" and they declined! I am a mom, and had my kids with me + my big/huge DSLR! So the chances of me stealing their phone were -0000000000000%.
Really? You assume they thought you would steal their phone?

They did not want you butting in on their fun, that's all.
They were being silly, and you wanted them to line up for a serious portrait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Has nothing to do with their feet. Its about the composition of the photo and what message they are giving to the viewer which is "Look at my super relaxing view on this beautiful day". I know exactly what you are talking about but hope you are not a foot-fetisher (and it is weird that you have two threads on this).

Its all about trying to put the viewer in the photo in their place, not unlike how when I do my macro photos of bugs I often position the camera on the ground to give the same viewpoint as whatever I am shooting. Like i am trying to put you into their world.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I have seen it and have no idea why women do it...but I do know this...some of these feet should be stuck in an orthopedic shoe somewhere.... I don't like seeing hammertoes and bunions and nail fungus...
LOL! You people crack me up. I'm proud to say, I've earned every single one of my bunions and other ailments caring for the sick and mostly hospice patients while standing hours on my feet; no shame in my pain, so, when I flaunt my banged up toes, there's pride in them their lumps and bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Then you can feel free to click through.
I know, people are just so compelled, its as if they're mad they couldn't get in on the selfie. I bet their all happy to flaunt some arse pics though and I assure you, I don't want to see those and won't spend time criticizing them either way. But it's just all rather amusing how people get their draws all in a bunch over other people's non threatening photos stooping to all kinds of derogatory catogorizing.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:37 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Joking aside...I offered to take a photo of a family in Disney so they all fit in it, because they were attempting a "selfie" and they declined! I am a mom, and had my kids with me + my big/huge DSLR! So the chances of me stealing their phone were -0000000000000%...I have no idea what is wrong with people these days when it comes to photos, but I did notice that so much garbage is perpetuated that honestly, showing just the feet is not so bad! There is no quality, no composition, no lighting, nothing, and in 20 years these people won't have anything to look back at. NOTHING. Phone lost, computer crashed, and they'll have NOTHING to show the grandkids...It is really sad that people stopped placing value on their memories....

Maybe the family didn't want someone else taking their picture at that time. Maybe they had plenty of other pictures of the whole family and because it is Disney, they were just having fun and goofing around.

Most family photos aren't known for their lighting and composition. They're not trying to be artistic, they just trying to capture moments. Not really sure why that means that people stopped placing value on their memories. I doubt my mom was worried about composition when she took pictures when I was a kid, but we still cherish those memories. My mom still shares those pictures with her grandkids, who also don't care that are family pictures don't have perfect lighting, composition, etc...

Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Because the lens is not wide enough to get the rest...
The question is this: why are you looking at women's beach/pool photos????

Joking aside...I offered to take a photo of a family in Disney so they all fit in it, because they were attempting a "selfie" and they declined! I am a mom, and had my kids with me + my big/huge DSLR! So the chances of me stealing their phone were -0000000000000%...I have no idea what is wrong with people these days when it comes to photos, but I did notice that so much garbage is perpetuated that honestly, showing just the feet is not so bad! There is no quality, no composition, no lighting, nothing, and in 20 years these people won't have anything to look back at. NOTHING. Phone lost, computer crashed, and they'll have NOTHING to show the grandkids...It is really sad that people stopped placing value on their memories....
Now, you know what? I AGREE WITH YOU completely.

I myself try to take "quality" shots using DSLR or "mirrorless" gear. Yes, there are shots I take where I'm "casual" as it were and don't try to eke out the nth degree of quality, but I also try and get shots that are pro-caliber or close to it. The equipment I have, and my abilities, are to where it's fully achievable--and yes, for later years, I want its quality to be at its best. It's a mix of trying to do that vs not being so "painful" about it.

But yes, those people should have been appreciative. It's funny to me how quality doesn't count anymore to some people. Lighting, composition, not having trees growing out of one's head, not having it be so darned blurry from taking it indoors without flash (and with that ugly orange color cast)--it matters. Again, there's something to be said about not being so "painful" about it that it ruins the fun, but gee whiz, if someone with DSLR gear is trying to get a QUALITY shot for you, gee whiz, take them up on the offer, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Maybe the family didn't want someone else taking their picture at that time. Maybe they had plenty of other pictures of the whole family and because it is Disney, they were just having fun and goofing around.

Most family photos aren't known for their lighting and composition. They're not trying to be artistic, they just trying to capture moments. Not really sure why that means that people stopped placing value on their memories. I doubt my mom was worried about composition when she took pictures when I was a kid, but we still cherish those memories. My mom still shares those pictures with her grandkids, who also don't care that are family pictures don't have perfect lighting, composition, etc...
Like I said, I agree with what the other person again. Again, I can understand not making such adventures painful and exacting, but gee whiz, at least try on SOME of the shots. Certainly if someone comes along with DSLR gear and with an eye for such things and they're generously offering to extend their abilities to you for your benefit, why turn that down? That's silly. The day that someone offering such is "intruding" is the day we're done as a society in terms of being so touchy and so strict with our precious "boundaries." By contrast, our last vacation someone asked me to take a photo of them for them with their camera, and I also took some with my own camera so I'd remember. They were being silly, and I proceeded to assume the exact same pose as they did and had them use my camera (and theirs) to take a picture of me posing in exactly the same way they had.

It was fun, and funny, and very social--and far better than thinking that or what the person above offered to do was tantamount to "butting in." Gimini Christmas.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Again, there's something to be said about not being so "painful" about it that it ruins the fun, but gee whiz, if someone with DSLR gear is trying to get a QUALITY shot for you, gee whiz, take them up on the offer, I say.
They aren't interested in QUALITY. They want a FUN picture and they want to have fun taking it. It doesn't matter if there is a branch coming out of someone's head (heck, that can make the picture funnier!), they don't care if it's perfectly in focus. They care that they have fun taking the picture and it shows. Handing someone a camera and having them take a posed shot is not nearly as fun.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 AM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
basically the photo is just taken to show they are at the beach.

The easiest shot to take with your phone that includes the beach when you're lying on a towel or beach chair.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
They aren't interested in QUALITY. They want a FUN picture and they want to have fun taking it. It doesn't matter if there is a branch coming out of someone's head (heck, that can make the picture funnier!), they don't care if it's perfectly in focus. They care that they have fun taking the picture and it shows. Handing someone a camera and having them take a posed shot is not nearly as fun.
Oh please. If they don't care about quality, I submit that's just lazy and pathetic. Even if it's not something to where they're inspiring to be a professional, to not care at all is plain stupid. I guarantee you that lady's photo would've made theirs look ridiculous by comparison, and they still would've had their "fun snap" anyway on top of it.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh please. If they don't care about quality, I submit that's just lazy and pathetic. Even if it's not something to where they're inspiring to be a professional, to not care at all is plain stupid. I guarantee you that lady's photo would've made theirs look ridiculous by comparison, and they still would've had their "fun snap" anyway on top of it.
Not all photos need to be of outstanding photographic composition and quality to be a good picture. Some of my favorite photos that evoke the happiest memories are slightly blurry, a little out of frame, not lit particularly well ... and none of that matters. I still love them. They're spontaneous. They're about that particular instant. The camera happened to catch something by chance. It's not lazy, it's not pathetic. What I find pathetic is this expectation that every photo must be carefully posed from a proper distance by a proper photographer with perfect composition. How stiff and boring!!!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Not all photos need to be of outstanding photographic composition and quality to be a good picture. Some of my favorite photos that evoke the happiest memories are slightly blurry, a little out of frame, not lit particularly well ... and none of that matters. I still love them. They're spontaneous. They're about that particular instant. The camera happened to catch something by chance. It's not lazy, it's not pathetic. What I find pathetic is this expectation that every photo must be carefully posed from a proper distance by a proper photographer with perfect composition. How stiff and boring!!!
I understand, not ALL photos need to look like they were taken by Annie Leibovitz, absolutely, totally. I'm just saying that if someone's disposition is that quality does not matter at all EVER, that's silly.

Yes, there are shots I've taken where I was being silly at the time and I wasn't even trying, because to have done so would've, in that particular instant, been distracting to the point of taking all the fun out of what we were doing to begin with. It was either a case of that or it was a case of that the given environment wasn't palatable towards "glamour" photos, they simply wouldn't have been created out of that situation or atmosphere (you're indoors at the dinner table with lots of junk in the background and the built-in popup flash isn't going to provide great lighting), yet photos were desired so as to at least remember the occasion and enjoy it again many years later.

I totally get it, and I do it myself. However, don't say that quality doesn't matter period. Of course it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty