U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 03:11 PM

662 posts, read 5,147,670 times

Advertisements

Have any of you experienced a professional eyebrow waxing mishap? I did the other day. My waxer, who I've been going to for a long time, ripped the wax off and pulled some eyebrow skin up with it. As she phrased it, "the skin came off." At first, it just looked like the skin bubbled up a little. There was no bleeding, just some redness. But after I left the salon--oh my goodness--the entire eyebrow peeled, immediately, within 5 minutes, like a bad sunburn. Then it swelled and the skin looked like crepe paper. I was terrified. The swelling has gone down, and it looks nearly normal, but there is a big scab on it and I am concerned that I'm going to have a scar where the skin was ripped off.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I have been waxing my eyebrows for over 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
Wow! I have not had that happen before. I would dab Neosporin on it at night to help it heal. When the scab is gone, if it looks like it will become a scar, use Mederma. It works great on scars. But hopefully it will just heal and be okay.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:24 PM

58 posts, read 42,629 times
I know this girl once got her eyebrows waxed. Totally taken off, and they never GREW BACK!! HAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-26-2008, 03:26 PM

662 posts, read 5,147,670 times
I realized when the wax was pulled off right away that something bad had happened. Instead of the usual sting there was pain. A big stinging pain, and I figured some skin had been ripped off, but I didn't think it would be as bad as it was.

It still stung for days afterward, and even now it feels weird in the area.

I am a big fan of eyebrow waxing, but I am not sure if I will do it again, after this. Maybe I'll try threading.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,235,848 times
this did happen to me also,only on my lip,right before a weekend away with a new boyfriend[who is now my husband] Can't remember what lame story I made up for a scab on my lip! Anyway,it should heal fine.I am not sure why this happens.Have you used any new products on your face? Anything with alphahydroxy acids?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM

452 posts, read 2,090,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taty View Post
I know this girl once got her eyebrows waxed. Totally taken off, and they never GREW BACK!! HAHAHAHAHA
Haha! I know someone who shaved her eyebrows off and pencilled them back on, trying to look good. She was a teen or early 20s when she did it...now she's married to a NASCAR driver. I always think of it when I see her. They did grow back though.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,983,354 times
Similar situation, but mine happened while using a lotion depilatory YEARS ago.

Instead of getting it rinsed off within 5 minutes, I dozed off... 30 min later I woke up and rushed to wipe it off... My skin came off with the hair.

Stung like FIRE for a day or so and scabbed up for a couple of weeks, but everything healed up fine. I used a little Vitamin E oil on the scabs every night until it healed.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:07 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,584,748 times
I would rather use one of those eyebrow tools......Now you've got to be careful when doing it that way to cuz there's nothing worse than having a bald spot in the middle of your brow because you got razor happy

How to Trim Eyebrows | Expert Village Videos

Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Honey wax is safer to use around that area. It doesnt grab skin the way hot waxes can. Its a really easy DIY thing because if you mess it up and put it on sloppy or wrong you can just wash your face a replace the wax goo before laying down the fabric strip to rip. There will be clean ups but its minimal and well worth the peace of mind.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM

809 posts, read 2,549,446 times
I use to get my eyebrows waxed, I NEVER had an experience like that, but sometimes she would take too many hairs or not wax enuf off...... but for the most part I was usually really happy.

OUCH is all I have to say!!!! The wax must have been a.) too hot and/or b.) left on too long!!!!

That's so not cool. Were you seeing the same person who normally does them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty