Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
The bolded part was what I planned to say- not only what you wrote, but also another negative change that's occurred in recent years. Dunno if there's an actual word/term for it, but it can be described as manipulative vocabulary- you're never ever supposed to have an opinion, but if heaven forbid you do, you're certainly not allowed to express it or you're 'shaming' someone or 'judging' them...

As the way it's related to the weight issue: when I was a child, the young woman in this picture was very popular. Time went on, and the ideal of beauty went from "Thin is In" to "Thinner Is In-ner." However, it was not considered negative for everyone from parents to doctors to be 'up in arms' over the trend- not only 'skinnies' themselves but the impact the trend had on impressionable young people: young women, teens, and even elementary-school children began a huge rise in eating disorders. Yet, when we're faced with the new trend of "Fat is Where It's At" these days, we're not supposed to comment.
And it's not about overweight people wanting compassion or acceptance, those who put themselves out there are holding this up as 'the new ideal.' They're virtually demanding everyone say they are 'beautiful' and 'healthy.'
Think of what this means to kids- would you want your teen or preteen putting a poster on her bedroom wall of a morbidly-obese woman with the belief that this is what she must strive for because being extremely overweight is 'the new normal'? If I had a very young daughter, I'd be very concerned about this.
Being fat has already been a sign of beauty and wealth...go to any art museum and see for yourself. Only rich people had enough resources to be heavy people.

Then, Twiggy made "thin" very popular.

Then, anorexia became a major health concern.

I do not, however, think that anorexic people (not all of them are obviously ill, they're just thin) have ever gotten even a portion of the grief people readily heap on obese people.

Thin is still very acceptable in Western society. Even if one must vomit, starve, and/or do drugs to stay that way.

I think we should, as a society, work a bit harder at not being so obsessed with appearances that we ignore the thought that's going on behind those appearances.

I know some very lazy thin people. And some hardworking ones. Same goes for obese folks.

Generalizations are not helpful.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:13 AM

148 posts, read 136,398 times
We're just too politically correct nowadays. Statistics show that since the 80s American waistlines are growing (meaning more Americans are having visceral fat), and the mention of obesity epidemic is now called "fat shaming".

When the govt launched that "tobacco is bad for your health", no one called it shaming.

Ironically, it seems the trend right now to "skinny shame" - esp among women, where the meaning of "skinny" is used to refer to anyone who is not overweight/obese (as opposed to what men think is skinny - literally very bony people)

Overweight people like to use Marilyn Monroe as their poster girl. When I look at MM photos, she looks thinner that the average American of today.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:24 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Thinner Beauty's Project Harpoon Facebook page Photoshops plus size people slim | Daily Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9995473483.jpg

to

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9995454452.jpg

and the other pictures

Leave fat and normal weighted people alone, this is like different hardcore religion supporters attacking on the other side. Maybe next war is not a religion war but fat against anorexic
What bothers me iz that when I was undeweight, I got snide comments from fat and overweight people DAILY! Like "ypu look aweful!" And "you need a hamburger!" And yet I knew u was not "allowed" to say back to them "and YOU need to stop eating hamburgers!" Which I would only want to say out of anger because how dare they!! I really don't care how many burgers they eat.

Body shaming goes both ways. Maybe online it is more fat shaming, but IRL, anyone too thin gets accusations of "anorexia" and society as a whole is totally fine with that!! It's like if people are somehow secretly envious, it's OK to make fun of you to make themselves feel better??!!

And BTW, I am also thin with HUGE BREASTS!! You would think that once you enter your 30s, that fellow females would stop making snide comments like "he's probably just looking at you because of your breasts" or "breast are only fat ya know." (No kidding! )

Other women ARE THE WORSE to other women!

Let's accept ALL body images and STOP THIS BS!!!!!

Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
No, it's complete hypocrisy. Fat people have begun social media movements of trying to shame healthy people, but they still cry when you shame them for being lazy and unhealthy. In their eyes, as long as they "love their bodies" then they are just fine, regardless of the side effects of their condition. One of my FB friends follows some broad named Lana Simmons, who is basically a "fat advocate" and blogs about how because she can't manage to lose weight, her doctors are always wrong when they bring up her weight. She uses the term #sizeHuman to justify being overweight, as if it's natural. The whole thing sickens me.

While this was meant as a joke, the sad part is it's also reality, but nobody cares. As long as people feel they have the right to be slobs and don't have the right to be offended by those who know better, they're never in the wrong, despite the facts Also, repped ya for that, because it was pretty damn funny

See above

We feel sorry for you, because you're part of the problem of letting everyone become complacent, instead of striving for betterment. People like you are why we're in this predicament.
My style on controversial subjects is to interject harsh truth in the form of humor.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Statistics, please?

People who are morbidly obese (and not just "needs to lose 15-20 lbs" types) do not just get that way on a lark most of the time. Nor are they all "lazy."

Common sense outta tell you that much.

What person in their right mind CHOOSES to be huge? Out of breath from walking across a room. Unable to find clothes that fit. Ostracized by most of society, either quietly or as harshly as the immature basement-dwellers on 4chan. Who'd subject themselves to all that mess on purpose unless they were mentally and/or physically unwell?

I bet your 5-10% number is more likely the number who actually are willfully obese, yet have no physical or mental health problem driving their obesity.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH where are your stats on that one red????

yeah, ill give ya that. if you count laziness as a mental health problem.

why is 2/3 of america overweight? why is 1/3 obese? does 2/3 of the country have a pre-existing mental or physical health problem driving their fatness???? what is it? you might be on to something with the mental health problems. many people in this country seem like they got mental issues. i feel like i've got a doozy coming on myself.

where were these pre-existing health conditions 40 years ago? oh is it hereditary? man, that older generation musta had some awful genes, now the subsequent generation can't fit into theirs!

have you seen what the morbidly obese eat? its insane! they eat enough for 4 people! i couldnt eat half of that if i smoked a pound of that wacky tobacky

seriously, you expect me to feel sorry for someone that is so large that they become out of breath from picking up a fork? no way jose

lifestyle, my friend. more people had physical jobs back in the day, and no interwebz to distract them. but yeah, you keep on living that sedentary lifestyle and gain those pounds. everyone wants to sit on their duffs all day because their life is so hard and "busy". maybe the higher medical premiums will be a trade-off for me looking more attractive to the opposite sex in comparison to 70% of those others.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
I disagree. And certainly not the one in the Thread pic. That woman on the right has a perfect body, the one of the left is disgusting looking. She might be a very nice girl, but, come on man......
While I can understand your preference for a slim woman (I prefer a slim man), your idea of "perfect," is, in most cases, unnatural. Most naturally slim women don't have those kinds of, um, proportions.

One could (easily) argue that the "perfect" man is about 6'4"; has a full head of thick, dark, healthy hair; prominent eyebrows; chiseled, strong, masculine features; great teeth and lips; the body of a Greek god, with a powerful, muscular chest and arms; slim but strong, muscular legs; 6-pack abs; and a great butt. Now, how many men fit that physical profile?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-28-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Goota love that Photoshop. It makes the impossible possible in just a matter of minutes

Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What bothers me iz that when I was undeweight, I got snide comments from fat and overweight people DAILY! Like "ypu look aweful!" And "you need a hamburger!" And yet I knew u was not "allowed" to say back to them "and YOU need to stop eating hamburgers!" Which I would only want to say out of anger because how dare they!! I really don't care how many burgers they eat.

Body shaming goes both ways. Maybe online it is more fat shaming, but IRL, anyone too thin gets accusations of "anorexia" and society as a whole is totally fine with that!! It's like if people are somehow secretly envious, it's OK to make fun of you to make themselves feel better??!!

And BTW, I am also thin with HUGE BREASTS!! You would think that once you enter your 30s, that fellow females would stop making snide comments like "he's probably just looking at you because of your breasts" or "breast are only fat ya know." (No kidding! )

Other women ARE THE WORSE to other women!

Let's accept ALL body images and STOP THIS BS!!!!!
Exactly! I had always been a healthy, petite girl, weighing 96 lbs at 5"3. In all my life, I had never been told unhealthy or that I was underweight by doctors. And yet, the only group of people who tells me otherwise are those at the opposite end of the weight spectrum. Since I was a teen, I get nasty comments from women who tells how I MUST be starving myself (I love my wings and burgers, so no), that there is something wrong with me, that I am ugly, that I'm a walking "stick" even though I have fat on my arms and thighs. Mean stares and refusing to even make eye contact with me before they even know my name. I'm just petite and my family has always this way. That response never stops the thin-shaming.

If you don't like your body, then deal with your own issues. Stop shaming anyone who looks different than you.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Being fat has already been a sign of beauty and wealth...go to any art museum and see for yourself. Only rich people had enough resources to be heavy people.

Then, Twiggy made "thin" very popular.

Then, anorexia became a major health concern.

I do not, however, think that anorexic people (not all of them are obviously ill, they're just thin) have ever gotten even a portion of the grief people readily heap on obese people.

Thin is still very acceptable in Western society. Even if one must vomit, starve, and/or do drugs to stay that way.

I think we should, as a society, work a bit harder at not being so obsessed with appearances that we ignore the thought that's going on behind those appearances.

I know some very lazy thin people. And some hardworking ones. Same goes for obese folks.

Generalizations are not helpful.

I think you are wrong about anorexic not getting "a portion of the grief" that obese people do. Or maybe you are right about the anorexic in comparison to obese, but not in comparison to just "overweight." Right now in the USA it is 1/3 normal, 1/3 overweight and 1/3 obese.

The very skinny or anorexic look is more of an anomaly most places in the US and people can't help but to comment or at least that is one of my theories for their rudeness.

I'm "normal weight" right now and I am probably a "lazy thin person" since I don't work out.

But I gotta say, I was mostly raised by a woman born in the 1920s. She had no problem telling me if she thought I was overeating or gaining weight. I think parents don't do this nowadays for fear of not being "accepting." But if anything forced me personally to have "food issues" it was my mother MAKING me eat certain foods I didn't like so that I just wouldn't eat or would throw most away when she wasn't looking.

I'm grateful that my grandmother made her benign comments because it probably helped keep me thin as a kid. Everyone I know who was fat as a kid always goes back to fat. Idk if that is their "healthy" range or not but I see it too much for it to be a coincidence.

Idk if this "you're eating too much" parenting is generational or what, but I strongly suspect that it was the norm in the past and then went the way of the girdle. I guess my point is that the simple patenting style of gently pointing out to kids that they are "eating too much" should probably be done more often than it is and might help them maintain a healthy weight as adults.

Bring back some nonjudgmental "honesty" in parenting and stop the coddling.

Of course it doesn't help that kids aren't even able to walk down the street alone nowadays but that's a whole other topic....

Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
"Perfect" is relative. "Disgusting" is relative. My point? Preferences vary from person to person. I prefer the girls on the left to their edited photos on the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
^^^^ This dude here, always comes up with posts that makes a lot of sense.

I can see both sides, of both sides of the issue.
I agree with KG on both points. Iknowftbll is one of my favorite male posters on CD. Therefore, he's one of the best male posters on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty