U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite department store?
Barney's New York 1 1.96%
Bealls 0 0%
Belk 0 0%
Bergdorf Goodman 1 1.96%
Bloomingdale's 0 0%
Boscov's 0 0%
Dillard's 2 3.92%
J.C. Penney 3 5.88%
Kohl's 4 7.84%
Lord & Taylor 2 3.92%
Macy's 11 21.57%
Neiman Marcus 4 7.84%
Nordstrom 21 41.18%
Saks Fifth Avenue 1 1.96%
Sears 1 1.96%
Von Maur 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM

27,004 posts, read 28,449,621 times

Advertisements

Alright I'll chime in.

Where did you grow up shopping? Nordstrom, Penney's, Montgomery Ward, Sears, Belk, Dillards, Woolworths, Mervyns, Kmart, Target
What are your favorite department stores? Nordstrom, Macy's, Kohls, Target
What do you like about a particular department store? I love that Nosdstroms has a decent lingerie selection, but they have been changing that recently, good customer service and I like their store brands for style/value. I don't actually like MAcy's but you can find some super deals there. It gets way cheaper than Nordstrom, but the stores are a mess. Target and Kohls are awesome places to get trendy clothing. I have gotten some great pieces from both, that surprise people.
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? Nordies for shoes, handbags. Macy's for dresses by designers I am too cheap to buy at full price.
What factors do you most consider when shopping? Atmosphere, customer service, selection, price/value.
How far do you travel to a department store? Depends on what I want. I like to check out the department stores when I visit other meters areas. Basically all the department stores are within about 20 minutes of home or work for me, I'll travel further for outlets. Saks, Neimans, Macys, Nordstrom, Barneys, and Bloomies are all basically on route during the walking portion of my commute.
Which stores do you believe have the best quality? Nordies. The higher end ones are out of budget and I don't buy stuff from there.
Which stores have the best customer service? Nordies, Barney's sometimes.
Which stores have you been to? Neimans, Macys, Barneys, Saks, Belk, Dillards, Bloomies, Kohls, Penneys, Sears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 PM

5,359 posts, read 3,091,579 times
My favorite department store is long gone - Dayton's in downtown Minneapolis, MN.

Now it's catch as catch can and there's no guarantee that a dear price will necessarily buy quality goods anymore. As a seamstress I am unfailingly shocked at the construction of what's available these days.

I do a lot of shopping online and am familiar with brands that suit me and their relative sizing. Sometimes I can find better quality items in an upscale thrift store.

Customer service is always a consideration but rarely meets expectations. The overall experience is important to me, not just the purchase.

I remember when you were shopping for undergarments a well-dressed, well-informed and well-manned woman would spend the whole time with you helping with fitting, making suggestions and running items back and forth from the dressing room. This was nearly always the norm even in the less pricey stores. The same held true for clothing.

I imagine if you're buying a whole season's wardrobe or an evening dress or fur coat, the same would hold true but I don't currently shop in any place that provides that service. I would seek it out, though, if I wanted to shop for something really high end.

I guess I've mentioned that in the best department store in my small city the clerks yell to each other from their various departments and one day, buying good perfume, the young woman behind the counter was whistling. It's just not the same "make you feel special" experience it once was. And when I'm spending money with a capital "M" for perfume I like it if I can also feel like I'm not in the dime store.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:04 PM

347 posts, read 215,754 times
Anywhere that has Levi's and Silver brand jeans.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,138,506 times
I like both orvis and LL Bean and shop online with both stores. One time I loved Talbots best

Old 09-07-2015, 01:56 PM

2,744 posts, read 3,742,386 times
Grew up around Penny's and local dept. stores that bit the dust many years ago. Dillard is around here but have to watch for sales. I will support Macy's because I LOVE the Philadelphia store ( old Wanamaker's) and their support of the pipe organ. Used to like Neiman's more and my brother worked at Sak's for many years and liked things from there but find the markup excessive. However, now a days, mostly shopping online and waiting for sales. Like clothes from Territory Ahead, Orvis, Brooks Brothers.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 PM

4,235 posts, read 2,225,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Later on, I branched out and started shopping at Nordstrom. The selection and value are both good, but the clothes didn't fit all that well...
I voted for Nordstrom, in part because of the much greater sizes available, such as men's dress socks actually sized to fit, and because they always carry some "Made in the USA" New Balance shoes in a wide variety of sizes.

There are at least five Nordstrom stores relatively nearby, so that's a bonus.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,351,831 times
Where did you grow up shopping? Macy's
What are your favorite department stores? Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, and Lord & Taylor
What do you like about a particular department store? I can't stop when there's too many people in the store.
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? Not really...
What factors do you most consider when shopping? How busy, how clean & organized (can't shop if it's messy)
How far do you travel to a department store? I'll travel up to 1 hour
Which stores do you believe have the best quality? Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus
Which stores have the best customer service? Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus
Which stores have you been to? Nordstrom, Macy's, JC Penny, Sears, Bloomingdales

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM

4,669 posts, read 7,635,394 times
Nordstrom I like because I like their style & they're about the range I like to pay when they're on sale. Bloomingdale's I like too, but they're a little too pricey for me generally...unless there's a good sale going.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:19 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,328,079 times
I would probably say Kohl's, followed by JCPenney. They usually have what I like.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,829,487 times
Nordstrom is my favorite, but I can't afford it. I also don't want to drive there. Where I live its a nightmare. I do need to get to Nordstrom rack one day, but hmm yeah one day. I shop at Kohl's mostly, and there is a stand-alone JCP nearby so those are the 2 all my clothes come from now.

Where did you grow up shopping? - as a really small kid, mom made our clothes. Later, Wal-mart and Kmart, and sometimes there was a place called Tempo, and as a teen/young adult I liked Dillard's. VF Factory Outlet too.
What are your favorite department stores? Right now, Belk, but none in my current area. JCP probably.
What do you like about a particular department store? I like to find things that look a bit more upscale; I usually dress cheap and sloppy (Job is casual too) and I've spent a lot of recent years unemployed (military wife overseas) so I would spend my days cleaning, working out, at home, taking care of dogs, and tight on money so I couldn't justify spending money on nice clothes. So if I find a really nice piece I feel special.
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? I like my workout/casual wear at Kohl's. Trek Brand. St John's Bay pants for hiking at JCP.
What factors do you most consider when shopping? Fit definitely. I'm built weird.
How far do you travel to a department store? These days no more than 30 minutes. The closer the better. Anymore, I think I'm going to use Amazon Prime Wardrobe - deliver it to me and I can try it out for awhile.
Which stores do you believe have the best quality? - I'm not really sure, but Target SUCKS.
Which stores have the best customer service? - Meh, honestly I prefer to do my own thing and I don't really engage with many people.
Which stores have you been to? Out of the ones in your poll - the first and last one I have never been. Boscovs or Bergdoffs either. Never heard of them actually. Growing up it was Sears, JCP, Dillard's and another I can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty