U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite department store?
Barney's New York 1 1.96%
Bealls 0 0%
Belk 0 0%
Bergdorf Goodman 1 1.96%
Bloomingdale's 0 0%
Boscov's 0 0%
Dillard's 2 3.92%
J.C. Penney 3 5.88%
Kohl's 4 7.84%
Lord & Taylor 2 3.92%
Macy's 11 21.57%
Neiman Marcus 4 7.84%
Nordstrom 21 41.18%
Saks Fifth Avenue 1 1.96%
Sears 1 1.96%
Von Maur 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

13,277 posts, read 17,855,770 times

Advertisements

well my favorite store is a local one and has been here since 1945 and still going strong and I can see whenever I go there on a Saturday morning all these ladies and men lined up .they sell everything you need , I have no need to go anywhere else unless im looking for paper products or electronics and groceries . The stores is called Hammericks and if any of you live near charlotte nc you have a Hammericks there . Happy shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

73,585 posts, read 65,266,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Personally, I grew up in a town where Dillard's was where you shop if you had money. We would most often go to J.C. Penney, sometimes Sears, and Dillard's for Christmas.

Later on, I branched out and started shopping at Nordstrom. The selection and value are both good, but the clothes didn't fit all that well; the quality was good, but you do have to pick and choose.

Now I most often visit Neiman's. I love supporting a local company and more importantly I love the product. Thankfully, I have found a brand which fits extremely well; the quality of the material also lays nicely.

Overall, the quality of fit and material are my most important factors when buying clothes. Customer service is a close second.

Throughout my lifetime, I have visited all included in the poll except for Boscov's.

Where did you grow up shopping?
What are your favorite department stores?
What do you like about a particular department store?
Do you go to certain stores for certain items?
What factors do you most consider when shopping?
How far do you travel to a department store?
Which stores do you believe have the best quality?
Which stores have the best customer service?
Which stores have you been to?

* NO snarky comments from ANYONE

Have fun.
Dillard's has the worst policies about price reductions of any of the stores I've ever shopped at. They have much fewer sales, their reductions are smaller, and they don't allow returns on their larger price reductions. I can't relate to most of the brands they carry, either (in clothing).

For household items, I love Macy's prices (their sales) and quality. They can be good for clothing items on sale, now and then, too. I prefer Nordie's for clothes, and they have sale racks much of the time, so it's not necessary to pay full retail. It's not hard to pick up clearance items at 75% off, and I'm talking about the regular Nordtrom's, not Nordstrom Rack.

Someone mentioned Nieman's. Oh my! I only do Nieman's clearances, and even on clearance, their items are pricey, (and some are still unaffordable, even on clearance),but the tailoring and the fabrics are so much better than in most other places.

Bloomie's and some of the other ones listed are East Coast stores, so I rarely use them. Most of their inventory I can get through stores I'm familiar with (mentioned here). But if something sells out at my fave stores, I'll try to find my size at those other stores online. They're a good back-up.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

8,322 posts, read 7,601,651 times
I said Saks but should have probably said Nordstrom since my stepdaughter is a buyer for them in Seattle. Thank you to all who are contributing towards her retirement.

Just want to point out that there is only one Bergdorf Goodman and it is in Manhattan. It is the big brother to Neiman Marcus.

Where did you grow up shopping? Belk. Back in the 1980s the good Belk stores carried Gucci and that is where I bought my first Gucci bag.

What are your favorite department stores? Saks, NM, BG, Nordstrom, Jeffrey NYC

What do you like about a particular department store? Shoe Department

Do you go to certain stores for certain items? Yes, makeup, shoes, denim.

What factors do you most consider when shopping? What I feel like buying.

How far do you travel to a department store? Luckily living in South Florida, except for Jeffrey, I don't have to travel far. I have the second and third largest malls in the US close to me and one is the largest outlet mall in the US, Sawgrass!

Which stores do you believe have the best quality? They are pretty similar.

Which stores have the best customer service? See above.

Which stores have you been to? All on your list.

Old Today, 01:22 PM

278 posts, read 188,731 times
I used to like Nordstrom but their selection of mens clothing is so limited. Granted, they do the suit, tie, shoes and dress shirts well but their casual clothes are really lacking. Still a great place for ladies to shop as 80% of the store is catered to ladies stuff.

Old Today, 06:08 PM

4,154 posts, read 6,022,318 times
Macy's is my go-to department store now -- though I do a lot of clothes buying at the premium outlets (Brooks Brothers, Boss, etc.), Saks Off Fifth, and Nordstroms Rack. Those first two stores are basically for suits and good sports jackets, the last two for "dress-up" casual clothes (if such a category exists).

But Macy's does have, as someone above said, great sales --and has then fairly often -- on many brands I wear, such as Armani A/X or Calvin Klein. And Macy's is a fifteen minute subway ride from home. Woo-hoo!

Growing up my Mom would drag me to a bunch of now-defunct stores in metro New York like Gimbels, Alexanders, and Sterns, as well as Macy's.

Best customer service I have ever seen is at Nordstroms. I remember wandering into a Nordstroms in LA some years ago to make a phone call (I'd forgotten my cell phone) , and after asking where the public phones were, the sales clerk told me not to bother. Then she handed me the store phone from behind the counter to use. Never been in any store that was that accommodating to a stranger off the street (not even a customer) before or since. So I am a little bit of a Nordstroms fan, especially when I'm on the West Coast. Will wait to see what the full Nordstroms will be like when it opens here. Though to be honest, their men's stores is just meh.

And FWIW, I've found the customer service at Bloomie's sub-par, unfriendly, and unhelpful so may times, I just never go there anymore. (They called the cops on me once for shoplifting. Certainly doesn't make you want to come back now, does it?) Pus, I think most stuff there is way overpriced.

Old Today, 06:41 PM

642 posts, read 182,151 times
Where did you grow up shopping? The South, so Belk.

What are your favorite department stores? Lord & Taylor first and Nordstrom second.

What do you like about a particular department store? Lord & Taylor has Saks Fifth Avenue-quality clothes at Target prices. Literally. It doesn't sell junk, so I can walk in and be surrounded by clothes that I'd buy, and everything is affordable.

Do you go to certain stores for certain items? Lord & Taylor for everything, and other stores only if L&T doesn't have what I need.

What factors do you most consider when shopping? Selection first and pleasant store experience second.

How far do you travel to a department store? A few miles.

Which stores do you believe have the best quality? Nordstrom

Which stores have the best customer service? Brooks Brothers can have outstanding service, except in the NYC flagship. I don't really know or care in other stores, though; I just pick out what I want, pay and leave. One Brooks Brothers that I go to is so small that you can't help but be stopped by the staff, and they are very nice and helpful.

Which stores have you been to? Most of them except Von Maur.

I miss Parisian and Ivey's!

The one store that I don't like is Neiman Marcus. I was going to get a pair of jeans off the clearance rack there about 10 years ago, and it was such an ordeal to buy something (I had to deal with staff who wouldn't let me just buy it without dealing with being fitted and then dealing with an insane "pre-sale", whatever that was, and then the store wouldn't take Visa) that I just gave up, walked down to Nordstrom and had a much better experience there.

Old Today, 07:34 PM

4,615 posts, read 4,678,532 times
Kohl's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty