Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

I, too, have purchased cotton too big and hoped to shrink it; other times, the right size and hope it doesn't shrink. There is no guarantee that either plan has a happy outcome.

If it shrinks when it shouldn't or doesn't when I expect it will, it gets returned. Yes, I've purchased the correct size when the tag says "preshrunk" and had the garment shrink in the first wash. Maybe it was the tag that was "preshrunk" and not the garment?

I'm weary of losing my money because the manufacturer(s) can't be trusted. If we all revolted against the vagaries that exist in the clothing company, maybe, just maybe, sizes would again be standardized as they once were.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
100% cotton is going to shrink. Buy a bigger size.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
RL Polo and LaCoste are the worst, IMHO, as I have had problems with them. It does help to not run them through the dryer but you still got to watch it. Colored T's, I just buy a size up and run through dryer. They eventually fit. LOL

Old 09-14-2015, 05:57 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I used to have this problem, but then I discovered cotton blends. They wash beautifully, maintain their shape and size, are better at repelling stains, and come out of the dryer looking unwrinkled and nice. I look for things that are the majority cotton because it's cooler and have found that even five to ten percent of something else really helps.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 66,391 times
I always up one size and they generally end up fitting correctly. If I buy my actual size they end up being too small after several washes and running them through the drier. Don't be "that" guy or lady who has t-shirts hanging all over the house that you have to walk through to get into the next room. If they always have to be "air dried" they are too small to begin with.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 PM

294 posts, read 476,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit The Ground Running View Post
I always up one size and they generally end up fitting correctly. If I buy my actual size they end up being too small after several washes and running them through the drier.
Yeah, I'm really particular about clothes fitting exactly right. I have an athletic build and dress shirts and pants are a pain to get to fit right. Difficult call most of the time, but I think I might just try air drying just to see how long I can keep it going. If it fails, I probably won't try it again.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 PM

84 posts, read 100,763 times
Whether it'll shrink or not will depend on how the fibers are woven and how the garment is finished, it isn't all about its cotton content. Due to this, it's "risky" to buy a size that doesn't already fit.

I buy items that fit well and just take careful care of them. Hand wash if it's something I absolutely love, always air dry anything that has any chance of shrinking (hang or dry flat, depending upon the item, which way it stretches, and how it fits)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty