Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I like skirts a lot, and do see women wear them. For the last 2-3 years I've been hunting for a simple black skirt, especially the non-wrinkling kind meant for travel. Do you think I could find one? I even look in the resale stores once in a while. I do not want to buy it online because I hate buying clothes without trying it on, and am too lazy to send to make time for the post office to return something.

I think I know just the kind of fabric you mean. I bought a navy one from TravelSmith that I love. The fabric makes it easy to throw on (no buttons or zippers), yet it's a fitted A-line cut, which gives it a more dressy, feminine, flattering look. I've worn it out socially or to a job interview. So easy to care for, and I never have to iron it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
I was an automotive professional parts manager for 20+ years. I wore uniforms to work, had my own toolbox to work on my trucks, and when I attended certification classes the thought of a dress or skirt was unthinkable. I wore suits. Really nice ones. That may have something to do with it.

Of course, the varicose veins don't help, I don't want to subject myself to seeing them much less anyone else.

Give me boots and jeans, thank you.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I think I know just the kind of fabric you mean. I bought a navy one from TravelSmith that I love. The fabric makes it easy to throw on (no buttons or zippers), yet it's a fitted A-line cut, which gives it a more dressy, feminine, flattering look. I've worn it out socially or to a job interview. So easy to care for, and I never have to iron it!
Oh, wow! Just after I entered that last post I decided to go online again, and up popped TravelSmith! It didn't before when I searched the first time - weird! There is one in there that might just work, by golly! Rather spendy, but I would expect that material to last a long while.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I forgot to add - you have to have more shoes if you wear a lot of skirts/dresses. Again, another expense.
Not really. I don't think I own any more shoes then I would if I didn't wear dresses. I don't have any shoes that are special to my dresses. I do however have shoes that I only wear with jeans. So for me, wearing pants on some days causes me to have more shoes. Not to mention when I wear pants, I also have to wear a shirt, a belt and usually the shoes I wear require socks. So those are added expenses to pants. Dresses are a complete outfit on their own.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
My childhood was in a time when girls/women had to wear dresses or skirts. Thank goodness things started changing soon after! I rarely wear anything like that. Freedom to dress more comfortably is great!
The company I worked for, had a dress code. No slacks. Those were the days!! Great to have options. Gee, by the time we put on tights, boots and big sweaters in the winter months, we must have looked gorgeous! Slacks and jeans are so much better in the winter months...........easier, too.

Guys, think about scraping ice off your car or waiting for a bus in shorts............

Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 AM

275 posts, read 396,763 times
Interesting thread. My girlfriend does not wear pants at work. Unlike most of the female staff, she always wears skirts or dresses. She always "dresses up", not out of any need to please others, but for herself. Oddly enough, other women at her work look down on her for this. They will look her up and down and frown, snort, or make "catty" comments. Has anyone else every encountered this? (Customers, both men and women, are generally positive and frequently comment "I like your outfit/style" or "you look nice".)

Old 10-23-2015, 03:14 PM

232 posts, read 251,138 times
To the guy who said that women who wear pants/jeans don't shave their legs or are obese is really strange. I shave my legs all the time and I am in great shape. I'm small and work out 4-5 times a week. I wear fitted jeans and not sloppy ones and very nice tops and fix my hair and make-up every single day. I make sure I look good when I go out. But you would never catch me in a dress/skirt. I feel uncomfortable in skirts/dresses and I don't see the need to wear dresses to appease someone else unless it's a very very special occasion like a wedding. Women can still look really nice in jeans and pants!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's hard to find them in the store. I believe stores assume women don't wear them as often, and they are correct. I'd wear them if there were more available, but the few I find don't fit me well. I am very large chested, short, with a small waist and nice legs but a big behind, and most dresses are way too long on me or too tight in the chest. Pants are an easier fit.
Younger women wear dresses all the time. And catalogs like Lands End that have been traditionally pants oriented, have even got several styles.

Dresses | Lands' End | Dresses for Women

As an older woman, I simply got out of the habit. All throughout the early aughts dresses were very scarce. Those I encountered were usually maxi dresses, and I think they made me look like a very large rectangle, especially since I don't wear heels any more. So I gave up. Now that they have been back for 5 years or so, I envy younger, shapely women who look good in the styles. The skirts are usually too short to look good on me now, and too fitted for how I am built these days.

I saw an older, but younger than I, woman just yesterday in a fitted dress with a fullish skirt. The skirt was hiked up in the back and showed the backs of her legs. It just isn't the look I want, and the woman wearing it was not flattered, IMO.

In short, dress styles are mostly manufactured for a very young market now. Younger women wear them.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
I almost always wear a skirt or dress to work because I find them much more comfortable than pants.

I have a short inseam, wider hips and a small waist so buying pants is just a pain in the rear. I always have to have them hemmed and taken in which just adds to the cost.

I find dresses super easy to wear too...no need to coordinate or match anything other than a cardigan.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:57 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,090 times
I personally find dresses and skirts a lot more comfortable than jeans. Other type of pants can be comfortable, but not jeans. And dress pants are indeed a pain in the neck to fit properly. I'm not skinny, I'm usually about a size 6, but I have small hips and it's almost impossible to find a pair that isn't too large around the waist. Skirts are way more forgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty