Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
Why do some women hate wearing skirts/dresses?.
I think the biggest reason is due to being self conscious of their body, you know, have body/image issues.

I believe the ones who say they "arent comfortable" are saying that because they dont want to come out and say the real reason which is "I am too self conscious of my body to wear skirts/dresses".

My wife rarely wears skirts/dresses. Her reasoning is because she thinks certain ones make her look really, really short. She's a "curvy" 5' 2" tall and 123 lbs. Because she has a bubble booty and rather strong/muscular legs from years of fitness, she thinks her legs look stocky in certain skirts/dresses. She'll wear pencil skirts without issue because she feels she doesnt look as short in them. And she'll wear ballroom dresses/gowns but usually when doing ballroom dancing.

She really just prefers the ease, comfort, fit and look of her yoga pants (Lululemon, Lorna Jane, etc.) which she looks FANTASTIC wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,303 times
I'd guess most don't wear them because they don't like their leg, don't want them exposed and/or don't like the way skirts look on them. Skirts come in all shapes and lengths. Personally I prefer skirts to pants or shorts, especially shorts. Grossiest thing ever is to see a bunch of women, be them teens or retirees, wearing shorts that do not fit (which most do not) get up from sitting and reach around and pull the shorts out of their crack or worse camel toe.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
When I'm wearing a dress or skirt, I feel too "dressed up." I suppose that is just conditioning from years of wearing gym clothes every day (I used to be a gymnastics coach), and then being a stay-at-home mom who would just throw on a pair of jeans or shorts every day.

I like the way I look in a dress just fine--I'm 5'6", 124 lbs--but I don't feel at ease going about my daily routine, errands, chores, etc. in one. It makes me feel constrained in what I can do. I will dress up to go out, but when I come home those clothes come off immediately. I just wouldn't be one to wear a skirt all day as a matter of course.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

More complicated. With pants, I put them on, throw on some socks, tennis shoes and a top, and away I go. If I wore a skirt, I'd have to wear different shoes, think about what kind of sock liners I'd wear (no way in heck I'd ever wear panty hose), etc. Plus there is the whole slip, undergarment issue.
Same here. I have some pretty skirts and heels; every time I think about wearing a dress or skirt, it's the pantyhose and slip ordeal. PLUS, slacks and jeans don't blow away in a breeze and are so much warmer in fall and winter.......Pantyhose don't fit right or something. Those with tans are lucky. My aunt used to use leg makeup and guess there are garters, still??

Oh, yeah, how about that clinging skirt? Guess fabrics are like magnets to each other. What's a girl to do? Ha!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
1. Skirts and dresses are not as comfortable and require more awareness of your behavior (how you are sitting, how your legs are placed, where you are standing in relation to the wind, how you bend down, etc).

2. You have to deal with cold legs or stockings. Stockings get caught in things and get runs and holes. Pain in the butt.

3. If you don't have a certain leg length and or hip/waist proportion finding skirts and dresses that look good can be challenging.

4. Can increase the level of street harassment tenfold.

5. Heels are a pain, and finding comfortable ones that also look good take time and effort. Yes you can wear flats with a dress or skirt but not all dresses or skirts look good with flats.

The most important reason...

6. Because they don't like them and don't want to wear them. The end.

Last edited by Tinawina; 10-06-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Same here. I have some pretty skirts and heels; every time I think about wearing a dress or skirt, it's the pantyhose and slip ordeal.
I don't know anyone who wears pantyhose or slips any more. I used to wear them in high school, but that was 30 years ago. Nowadays all I ever see with skirts is bare legs.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's hard to find them in the store. I believe stores assume women don't wear them as often, and they are correct. I'd wear them if there were more available, but the few I find don't fit me well. I am very large chested, short, with a small waist and nice legs but a big behind, and most dresses are way too long on me or too tight in the chest. Pants are an easier fit.
I wear dresses basically all of the time! I look better in dresses/skirts in my opinion.

I find the fit way easier than pants. Even though I am slightly tough to fit: I am pear shaped with a big chest and short torso. Average height. Length isn't a problem in general, but I just have to be careful with my chest or bust causing things to ride up a bit. And waist placement is key, those dresses where they leave a small area to define a bust don't work on me.

Finding pants is a joke. Dresses and skirts are easier for me, though I struggle with the sleeveless ones, as I am narrower up top than the fit models. Most of our patterns assume that people are wider vs bustier.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:43 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
I've never seen Hillery in anything other than pants.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
I don't dislike them, but a lot of the time they just aren't practical. Like for work, I have a some cute DVF-type wrap dresses that I love, but they're a p.i.a for when I have to scale some shelves to search through archives. Or if I'm getting in and out of the chair so often that static cling happens. The guys don't mind (naturally), but it's annoying to keep having to step out and spray static guard up my dress.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I don't like skirts or dresses.

1. No pockets. I do not carry a purse, so I require pockets. Pants have pockets.

2. Not practical. I do a lot of bending over and I don't want to be constantly thinking about how to properly bend over with a skirt.

3. More complicated. With pants, I put them on, throw on some socks, tennis shoes and a top, and away I go. If I wore a skirt, I'd have to wear different shoes, think about what kind of sock liners I'd wear (no way in heck I'd ever wear panty hose), etc. Plus there is the whole slip, undergarment issue.

This is me as well, but I have to add that it's not snow gear. I'm happiest in snow gear sinking in snow up to my cheeky monkey's. That would be very uncomfortable in a dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty