Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 PM

23,899 posts, read 32,207,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commett View Post
Anyone else out there find house dresses comfortable? My kids tease me cause at home I wear house dresses only. Am I the only one under 60 wearing them daily?
I really don't mean to be insulting, but I don't think I've seen a house dress in 30 years.

Around the house, I hang out in fitted work out clothes or sweats, lounging pants, tee shirts and sometimes attractive PJs. In summer, sundresses or shorts and tank tops.

Who sells house dresses these days? My grandmothers both had them. I didn't know they were still made.

I suppose they are comfortable. However, there are some more contemporary alternatives in case you need to answer the door.

Why do you like them?

Also, I am curious about the difference between a house coat and a house dress.

Mu Mus were popular among overweight middle aged women in the 60s and 70s. Haven't seen those in ages either.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-09-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 PM

37,473 posts, read 45,701,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really don't mean to be insulting, but I don't think I've seen a house dress in 30 years.

Around the house, I hang out in fitted work out clothes or sweats, lounging pants, tee shirts and sometimes attractive PJs. In summer, sundresses or shorts and tank tops.

Who sells house dresses these days? My grandmothers both had them. I didn't know they were still made.

I suppose they are comfortable. However, there are some more contemporary alternatives in case you need to answer the door.

Why do you like them?

Mu Mus were popular among overweight middle aged women in the 60s and 70s. Haven't seen those in ages either.
They are sold in most every major department store, in the robe/nightgown section. Lot of people still wear them, clearly.

My mom didn't mind answering the door in her housedress. A housecoat is simply a short button-up robe.

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/uti...anese-workwear

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,214,987 times
My mother would never, ever have opened the door in a nightie.

I'm pretty much the same.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,162,044 times
Mom wore what she called a housedress. They also called them shirtwaists. They were cotton with buttons down the front to just below the waist, a collar like a shirt and usually elbow length sleeves that you rolled up a cuff to make them a bit shorter. They were cotton that needed ironed and usually a pastel color. Mom wore half aprons with hers.

I like my tshirt dresses, knee length and not flimsy material. Cute with tennis shoes or sandals.

But mostly I wear capris and nice knit tops; I save the nicer ones for going out and wear ones that I don't mind getting worn from working around here.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:54 PM

983 posts, read 1,049,362 times
That link above shows house dresses. I notice the reviews of the dress in the link indicate that mostly senior aged women wear them. Especially women in nursing homes.

When I think of house dresses, I think of Mrs. Cleaver. A durable, knee length dress that isn't form fitting at all. Kind of like what the British nannys wear!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Anyone care to share the types of tops they wear with their yoga pants (especially ones you could run out and do an errand in)?

Thanks!
Fitted tees or tank tops in the summer, longer length, and in cooler weather I add a fitted hoodie or yoga jacket on top, I have a couple of really cute ones, one with a little peplum detail in the back that I always get compliments on. For even colder, lululemon makes a great thick warm hoodie, or I can also layer a vest on top.

The key to this being flattering is getting thicker, good quality fabric that holds things in, and I always wear a longer tank or tee that peeks out under the hoodie or jacket and covers hips, I'm pear shaped and it helps a lot with proportions

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,974,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Why do you like them?

My mother never wore them because, like you, she had a husband and children coming and going.....I have a dog and cats. They don't care what I wear. Contemporary alternatives to a house coat wouldn't impress them. LOL

I rarely need to answer the door. Friends and service people.....I know when they are coming so I am dressed.

Haven't had a salesman or Jehovah show up at the door in years.....and good riddance.

A robe/housecoat/duster, whatever you want to call it, is just more comfortable than sweats or lounging pants that have to be tight enough around your waste to keep them from falling down. That's why I like dusters.....nothing tight or restricting about them.

Also, it is a lot easier to grab a housecoat/duster off the rack than trying to find a pair of sweats or lounging pants that aren't too loose, too tight, too long or too short.

And, you don't have to be overweight to want to be comfortable.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:42 PM

32,799 posts, read 36,054,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I had a friend who wore them in her late 60's early 70's but she has passed on .

She wore nothing under them, if she had her way she's have been naked so she figured that was the next best thing, some of hers were a stretchy terry cloth, almost like a beach cover up.
My mom had a couple of the stretch terry ones. She wore them around the house in the summer, but used them as a bathing suit cover-up once in a while.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,228,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I'm not even sure I've seen a housedress since the 1970s
My grandmother wore them in the 1980s.

But stopped in the 1990s and wore a lot of sweatshirts and stretchy pants.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 AM

301 posts, read 818,514 times
This post got me thinking, so I made sure to notice all the (80+ year old) ladies at my mother-in-law's assisted living center here in the Midwest. Must report I did not see one house dress. Did see a lot of Alfred Dunner styled pants outfits. I asked a favorite staff member and she said she can't recall ever seeing them on the ladies, even when they've retired to their rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty