U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:55 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times

Advertisements

Hello, My Central American fiance says we can buy a wedding dress here in the state quite a bit cheaper and has asked me to find one!!!!!!!

She says it needs straps and be white, she is about a 38C and about 5"8" tall with excellent figure. Have i said enough to get help? Thanks for looking. I see what looks like some good deals on Craigslist. Or looks good to a guy that doesn't know anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:41 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,574,828 times
go to any bridal shop and they will have a rack or two of gowns that are discontinued styles, samples, etc., that are heavily discounted and in good shape.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:43 PM

620 posts, read 437,846 times
Are you just looking for something cheap, or something she likes? If cheap, then find a David's Bridal (it's a chain of bridal gown stores) and get something off of their sale rack. But if she actually wants something that reflects her style, we're going to need more information ... is it a formal or casual wedding? Does she want long or short? Does she want a sheath style, or something with a fuller skirt? And really, those questions are just scratching the surface.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:51 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
You need an actual size as opposed to "excellent figure" LOL - I've heard wedding dresses run small (I've never purchased on, went to a JP - you do need to know a little about her style: low cut, sleeveless I assume because you said straps (does she want a more formal jacket thing to wear over for the actual service?), is she modern or old-fashioned, etc.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Have i said enough to get help?
Not even close...

Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
You need a price range, to start.

Try David's Bridal for less expensive choices. They have a huge amount of dresses in stock. Many, many styles to choose from. If your fiancee can find something that she likes on their website, or a style that she likes, that will help you find something appropriate.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:24 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Hello, My Central American fiance says we can buy a wedding dress here in the state quite a bit cheaper and has asked me to find one!!!!!!!

She says it needs straps and be white, she is about a 38C and about 5"8" tall with excellent figure. Have i said enough to get help? Thanks for looking. I see what looks like some good deals on Craigslist. Or looks good to a guy that doesn't know anything.

Tell her to send photos of what she likes and her exact measurements.

I will say there is no way I would pick another woman's wedding dress out, I would poke myself numerous times in the eye with a dull pencil first.....

Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM

84 posts, read 62,249 times
You need to work with your lady on this, not a forum full of random women who know nothing about her.

Ask her to send you photos of dresses she likes, take them into a few bridal shops along with her size/measurements and price range, and get ideas from them.

Take photos of the dresses you find in bridal shops that are recommended by consultants there based on the pictures you bring in, and send those photos to her -- get her feedback.

That'll be a good place to start. Asking strangers to help you find a wedding gown for your fiance is a terrible idea, truly.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:15 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,229,345 times
I'm shocked someone who wants to wear a wedding dress would be fine with her less-than-fashion-savvy fiance just picking one!

I agree a lot more information is needed for people who might actually be able to help. I eloped to a JP, so I have no idea. Does she have any images online of dresses she likes to get you started? A budget is also important, as is her size. It'll be hard to get one without her trying it on because sizing can vary. You can always take a dress in (although it can get pricey or be difficult with some dress/fabric styles), but hard to add more sometimes.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:26 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
Doesn't seem like OP is coming back.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or