U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 4,298 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, I wasn't sure which forum to use.

I purchased some nice 100% cotton flannel shirts from Sears.

After I washed them in cold water and hung them up to dry, they shrunk a little bit.

I thought that was just the nature of the shirts. But after 4 washes they keep shrinking. I mean the sleeves are so bad now they end a full 2.5" from my wrists.

I've tried stretching them while still cold and wet, but doesn't seem help much. I tried using google to find an answer, but it's mostly just people saying don't use a dryer, which I'm not, I hang them up right away.

Any thoughts on how to either fix the shirts or stop it from happening?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM

620 posts, read 437,846 times
I haven't tried this myself, but it's worth a shot.

How to "Unshrink" Your Clothes! - One Good Thing by Jillee

Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
If you bought them recently, you should just try to return them, because they're going to shrink every time you wash them. Sears used to be pretty good about returns...I haven't bought clothes there in years so I don't know if they're still that good about returns or not.

If you can't return them or you absolutely love them and are willing to go to a lot of trouble every time you wash them, you can block them as described in the link above (stretch them out and pin them to a towel so they dry stretched out, this works much better for sweaters and knit fabrics than it does for something like flannel which is not stretchy). You could also iron them with some spray starch or sizing and stretch the fabric as you iron it. As soon as they get wet again, they will shrink again, and ironing, especially with starch, will flatten the nap of the flannel and keep it from looking its best.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Wow thanks for the fast reply. I will try that out!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:47 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you bought them recently, you should just try to return them, because they're going to shrink every time you wash them. Sears used to be pretty good about returns...I haven't bought clothes there in years so I don't know if they're still that good about returns or not.

If you can't return them or you absolutely love them and are willing to go to a lot of trouble every time you wash them, you can block them as described in the link above (stretch them out and pin them to a towel so they dry stretched out, this works much better for sweaters and knit fabrics than it does for something like flannel which is not stretchy). You could also iron them with some spray starch or sizing and stretch the fabric as you iron it. As soon as they get wet again, they will shrink again, and ironing, especially with starch, will flatten the nap of the flannel and keep it from looking its best.
I agree. Return them. If enough people return clothes that shrink, the place will make sure to give people preshrunk clothes. There is no excuse in that sort of shrinkage.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I haven't tried this myself, but it's worth a shot.

How to "Unshrink" Your Clothes! - One Good Thing by Jillee
I enjoyed reading this! I am imagining the OP doing this with several flannel shirts though. What a pain.

I will remember this when something I truly like shrinks.

I do think the dryer is often the culprit.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:24 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

ummmm.......what's an iron? I think I remember my Grandmother had one of those thingies......sounds cool

Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 AM

Sears won't take them back - no receipt and it's been too long anyway (a couple of months).

No, I didn't use the dryer, I just hung them up and air dried them.

I think I might need to just buy new shirts and after each wash, stretch them out. I think the shirts I have are too far gone.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,278,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
ummmm.......what's an iron? I think I remember my Grandmother had one of those thingies......sounds cool
People still use irons. What else are you going to do with your linen napkins?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
You can buy tried and true, quality flannel shirts from LL Bean that will come out of the drier the same size as they went in. The men in my family have worn them for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty