U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

Here's something where a viewer noticed something about this guy's appearance and possibly saved his life.

HGTV Host Meets Life-Saving Viewer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:15 AM

1,040 posts, read 695,167 times
The author who started this thread is a bit out of touch. Shaving one head to hide baldness is the new comb over.

And this even shocks me the young hipsters in Brooklyn started a new trend recently, they actually crewcut the hair in the middle, keep it long on one side and then "comb it over".

They actually with a full head of hair are on purpose doing combovers.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:21 AM

1,040 posts, read 695,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Why do men do this? Surely they don't think they are fooling anybody? Bald is in- even men with hair now shave their heads. Or get a good wig if it is that important. but for heaven's sake--forget the comb over.
http://www.dose.com/style/23383/Some...HYb8r7NxuEc%3D

BTW the Comb Over Fade Haircut for Men 2015 is a one of the latest hairstyle for men that is getting much popular in 2015. It is a cool hairstyle that is suitable for men of every kind.

Supermodels who hang out in Tribecca, Brooklyn, Southbeach and LA love guys with comb overs. It is the hot look of 2015.

I have no clue why, but go for it guys, when your fat middle aged wife complains about your comb over, just know a 23 year old Brazilian SuperModel in her loft in SoHo wants to bang you all night long and have you as arm candy.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,516,733 times
I am NOT saying that a comb-over doesn't look ridiculous..... I am just saying that it is not nearly or its just as , ridiculous looking as so many other fashions. No I don't have one but my hair is.... thinning out at age 64, in fact its been getting thin for a number of years.. Will I ever do a comb-over? NO! But I will also never weigh 300 lbs and be seen in Public in Yoga Pants or Daizy Dukes hhahahaa

Old 11-21-2015, 08:49 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,263 times
Come on, saying that "there's something worse than a comb over so we can't talk about a comb over" is ridiculous.
By that argument, there's no point of discussing anything, or having a fashion board AT ALL then is there, because there's always something uglier! And even then, it's all a matter of opinion. Good grief!

You could say that on every thread "well there's worse looking things than (insert topic)" so we shouldn't talk about this!"
People are still allowed to discuss things, just because you think its stupid or not worth talking about doesn't mean people can't or shouldn't be able to talk about it on a fashion thread.

Jeez we have enough "yoga pants" threads. What, are we only allowed to ***** about yoga pants and 300lb people and daisy dukes? Give it a rest. We can discuss other things for pete's sake. I don't see anything in the rules that say otherwise.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 AM

39,026 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
interesting dilemma.
I'm assuming the "offending" person is well aware of their appearance and has just made a personal choice.
A few of us have offered examples of "offending people" who were not aware that they had combovers, though.

And a stranger didn't tell my FIL he had one. His family members did. If he had made a choice to keep it, we would have backed off.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
OK, I'm bald.
Big deal!
I can "comb" my hair with a washcloth! Can you?
About every three months I get a haircut and beard trim.
SHAVE what hair I have left around my head? what for? when I retired, I quit shaving (thus the beard). It makes no sense to quit shaving my face and begin shaving my head!
IMO, that would be totally stupid!
The few hairs that are left on top of my head I have the barber trim as short as he can with his clippers. No razor has touched my hide in years, and I plan to keep it that way!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Good, I don't have thinning hair, and prefer the style I've had since the 80s. The bald look is just horrible.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad is literally renowned for his comb-over...in our small community, it's kind of his trademark. He's got a good sense of humor, doesn't take himself too seriously, and jokes about it, so there's a bit of self-awareness. He knows it's not fooling anybody. But it makes him feel better, and that's good enough for him. To each, his own.
I agree, "To each, his own." Your dad sounds like a "cool" guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Men should wake up and smell the coffee. A comb over or a toupee scream, I am insecure. No woman is attracted to an insecure male....except the really needy, desperate ones.
Most of these men having been in loving relationships for many years with women that are not so shallow as to judge a man by their hairstyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think at first they realize they are doing it. As soon as I noticed my husband was doing it, I called him on it. He stopped it immediately.

I get it, it is denial. I see my own hair thinning at my crown, it saddens me. Actually scares me!
So, you'll be doing a comb over? I have seen women do it also. Has he called you out on your thinning crown, I think they call it "Friar Tuck" and many don't realize that it is common in women as well as men. Maybe he'll be OK with however you want to wear your hair and won't "call you out on it" no matter what you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The only women that like bald men usually have a mustache.
Many have loving wives and the wives don't have a mustache. There are still people that aren't so shallow to judge someone based on shallow criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I am NOT saying that a comb-over doesn't look ridiculous..... I am just saying that it is not nearly or its just as , ridiculous looking as so many other fashions. No I don't have one but my hair is.... thinning out at age 64, in fact its been getting thin for a number of years.. Will I ever do a comb-over? NO! But I will also never weigh 300 lbs and be seen in Public in Yoga Pants or Daizy Dukes hhahahaa
And, hopefully wouldn't "call out" someone as described in your last sentence. I think most people are so busy with their lives that they don't focus on whether a man has a comb over or not. We live among a lot of seniors and I see it quite often and these guys are with their wives so together for years and years so I am guessing their wives feel other things are more important than the way their man combs his hair.

I wouldn't be making fun because anyone might be the next one to go bald, male or female!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,407,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The only women that like bald men usually have a mustache.
Incorrect. A lot of attractive women like guys with bald/shaved heads.

Do guys with comb-overs still have girlfriends/wives?! Of course. However, that doesn't make the comb-over "look" any less ridiculous - I still think guys that have this look like fools - I don't care how hot their gf's/wives are. Plus, I see attractive women with badly-dressed, poorly groomed slobs all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
The author who started this thread is a bit out of touch. Shaving one head to hide baldness is the new comb over.
First of all, it's true that a lot more bald guys are shaving their heads than in the past. However, I still see a lot of guys these days who have comb-overs. That terrible "look" has definitely not gone away.

If you're saying that a bald guy who shaves his head is on par with a bald guy with a comb-over, I strongly disagree with this too. A bald guy like me that shaves his head isn't trying to "hide" his baldness - rather, he's embracing his baldness. Conversely, a guy with a comb-over is trying to conceal his baldness, and is instead just drawing attention to it. Comparing a bald guy with an ugly comb-over to a bald guy that shaves his head is like comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-21-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty