U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,263 times

Advertisements

I want to say that I also like bald/shaved heads too. It works on some guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,015,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Bald is in- even men with hair now shave their heads.
The only men who shave their heads bald are the ones trying to hide their baldingness. That's just as bad as a combover. If you're balding, you're balding. Shaving your head bald will only make you look like a lightbulb.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:17 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,717,873 times
Yul Brenner.

'nuff said.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:24 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I think bald heads on men look great, very sexy. If he's not naturally balding, then you know he spends as much time keeping it looking nice as most ladies spend on their hair.

It's hard when you lose hair or it starts thinning to the point where you can tell. I don't know if it's easier for men, but as a woman, it absolutely sucks and it leads to a mini-crisis where you spend hours (or days) researching different remedies and shampoos, experiment with different hairstyles to hide it, shop for hats, hairbands, practice different ways of tying scarves to cover it, paint your scalp with eyeshadow to hide the wide part, order wigs from amazon in the middle of the night, etc. I imagine the comb-over might be the male way of having that same crisis. I used to laugh at bad comb-overs but after my hair fell out, I have nothing but sympathy for people who are dealing with hair loss.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,407,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
The only men who shave their heads bald are the ones trying to hide their baldingness. That's just as bad as a combover. If you're balding, you're balding. Shaving your head bald will only make you look like a lightbulb.
Again, I beg to differ. In no universe does a shaved head look just as bad - or worse - than a comb-over. A comb-over looks awful re: a bald guy - those thin strands combed over a bald pate look unhealthy & sloppy. Conversely, if you have the right head for it, a shaved head looks good & "even". And, as a bald guy who shaves his head, I'm not trying to "hide" my baldness. I know it's obvious. I just know for a fact that I look better with a shaved head than if I let my hair grow out.

Heck, there are guys out there with full heads of hair who completely shave their heads because it's become fashionable in the past 6-10 years. Why do they do it?! Because it looks good. And, at least some women like the look as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think bald heads on men look great, very sexy. If he's not naturally balding, then you know he spends as much time keeping it looking nice as most ladies spend on their hair.
Thanks! Glad to see some ladies on here appreciate this look on guys. I'm bald, but still have some hair left - and, yes, it does take some maintenance to keep up the shaved head "look" on a regular basis.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-21-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
My fathe and, brother were bald and now my husband and son are too (actually son shaves his head and husband is just bald in front and on top )but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been with my husband more than 40 years and I've never seen him with a full head of hair or without a beard and I don't want to either!

I'd much rather see a shaved head than wispy hair or comb over.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:56 PM

721 posts, read 1,253,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad is literally renowned for his comb-over...in our small community, it's kind of his trademark. He's got a good sense of humor, doesn't take himself too seriously, and jokes about it, so there's a bit of self-awareness. He knows it's not fooling anybody. But it makes him feel better, and that's good enough for him. To each, his own.

My father does the same. If it makes him feel better then I don't see the harm in it. He lost his hair very young and when I had my son he even commented that he hoped he wouldn't inherit that trait. We don't really pick on him for it. I personally don't comment on people's appearance unless it is to offer a compliment. My mom has a big mouth and I know she told him to let it go but he said he wasn't ready to be bald.

I think I'm just used to it. I don't think baldness makes someone more or less attractive but I know some women like the shaved look. I don't like beards at all but they're so popular now so my taste is probably not representative of the general public.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:10 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,547,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Have a group of attorneys in our area who have commercials going and cant believe the one has the most gawd awful comb over ever. Not a chunck of hair but strands just laid over. Would think he could afford a toupe or just go bald.

Similar here in Hawaii, the most prolific advertising lawyer in the state doesn't have a comb over, but one of the worst rugs I ever seen. Who can trust a guy whose lying to himself and everyone else?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Why do men do this? Surely they don't think they are fooling anybody? Bald is in- even men with hair now shave their heads. Or get a good wig if it is that important. but for heaven's sake--forget the comb over.
http://www.dose.com/style/23383/Some...HYb8r7NxuEc%3D
To give people like you something to complain about?

Personally, I keep my hair too short to comb any way at all, and I like it that way -- and I couldn't give a flip what anyone but myself and my wife think about it (we both like it). I wouldn't have it any other way, except shaved -- which I do now and then. I have zero interest in hair that needs anything more than the most minimal sort of care (mine is gets a 5-minute hair-trimmer treatment once/week, or a 5-minute shave on the same time-frame). But... I don't expect others to do X just because I do, or to refrain from doing Y just because I do.

It truly is mind-boggling how many people can't handle the way others choose to present themselves.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 2,891,028 times
I think the old man with the pony tail is just as gross. They're bald on top but they grow the side hair out and make a ponytail. Weird.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty