Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:42 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Said this before in another thread.....

When properly and professionally done you are hard to tell who colors their hair at any age. What gives things away especially for older persons are amateur dye jobs done with box color from local supermarket.

Saw an older AA woman today with jet black hair from mid-length to ends but a weird blackish tint with green tinge around her hair line. That tells me she used box color and or did her hair at home in attempt to cover white hair. The telltale signs are green or pink roots/hair.

Older women like Helen Mirren, Catherine Deneuve, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and so forth color their hair But because it is professionally done you cannot really tell.

As for a 80 year old woman with jet black hair or some such; yes that would be highly unlikely natural. Again the key would be to have things done by a professional so the shade or shades are proper for the person's age and complexion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 03:53 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I have my hair professionally colored, but it looks somewhat similar to when I was young and just had it "highlighted". My natural color was "dishwater" blonde, but I always added lighter highlights. Now that I am completely grey (at 55), twice a year I have my hair colored blonde all over with varying darker "low lights" applied with foil. Then I just have root touch ups every six weeks.

I don't care whether it "fools" anyone or not. I like it, and DH likes it, because he insists on paying for it! This is probably because I once told him, "To hell with the time and money having my hair colored, I'll just go short and grey like Jamie Lee Curtis." "nuff said. Though it ticks me off sometimes when he examines my roots and reminds me it's time to go in for a touch up.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:59 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
Hmmm nah!!!

If it makes a lady feel more beautiful, younger or even just for the fun of it then who are we as men to turn round and say it's wrong?

Btw I think Helen mirren is sexier grey than when she was young and blonde

Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Hard to imagine why anybody would care what color someone else's hair is regardless of age.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hmmm nah!!!

If it makes a lady feel more beautiful, younger or even just for the fun of it then who are we as men to turn round and say it's wrong?

Btw I think Helen mirren is sexier grey than when she was young and blonde
Best post on this thread. Props.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Ladies, Your Dyed Hair Isn't Fooling Anybody
Maybe we're not trying to "fool" anyone - ever thought of that?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I'm okay with dying hair "for fun," but am very much opposed to the widely accepted tradition that women should work so hard and spend so much money disguising their natural appearance just to be socially acceptable. Even the most hard-core feminists don't get how oppressive and demeaning this is and buy into it themselves. And, no, you don't do it "for yourself" (eye roll). Unless and until we all stand together and dare to expose ourselves to the world with (shudder) our real hair, bodies, and faces - like MEN do every day - we will never be free to be ourselves. It has to become the new norm.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Lol!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
IM 68 with very dark brown natural hair still and people dont believe me.. so thats the other side of it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm okay with dying hair "for fun," but am very much opposed to the widely accepted tradition that women should work so hard and spend so much money disguising their natural appearance just to be socially acceptable. Even the most hard-core feminists don't get how oppressive and demeaning this is and buy into it themselves. And, no, you don't do it "for yourself" (eye roll). Unless and until we all stand together and dare to expose ourselves to the world with (shudder) our real hair, bodies, and faces - like MEN do every day - we will never be free to be ourselves. It has to become the new norm.
I'm 53 and I don't find my "beauty regimen" to be oppressive. I don't feel some societal pressure to doll up to go to the grocery store or running errands. But I LIKE "dolling up" for more special occasions, even if it's just going to church or out to eat with my husband. I enjoy maximizing my assets and minimizing my liabilities.

I - me, personally, me me me, I - do not like the sagging skin under my chin. It's not that I feel pressured by society not to like it - I PERSONALLY don't like it. It's not as attractive as my younger, tight skin was - to ME. I wish it was tighter and I may get it surgically tightened one day - for ME.

So yes - I do it for myself. I color my hair for myself - I prefer my hair to be dark. It looks better dark, with my skin tone and eye color. I don't like myself with my current natural mixture of white and auburn - it looks washed out and yucky at this stage.

I don't wear much makeup but what I do wear I wear for myself - I prefer the evened out complexion that a dab of BB cream and powder gives me, and I like the way my lips look and feel with some lipgloss on them. I have dramatic eyes, and I love playing up their drama with smoky eyeliner and mascara. I like the way it makes my eyes "pop."

Yes - I do this for myself. Now, that being said, if I'm not going anywhere all day, I won't usually put on any makeup, but that's because I like to give my skin a break.

Let me ask you something - do you have certain colors you like to wear? Why do you wear those colors? What about clothing styles - why do you like some more than others? When you wear something that's a particular cut, are you doing it for yourself or others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty