U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 AM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Original Poster:

Not every woman on the planet puts artificial color in their hair, personally I have never had any artificial color in my hair and will never have artificial color in my hair.
The general reason women and men do this from what I undestand is to make themselves feel better and look better according to them.
Amazingly enough none of them need your permission and I would venture to guess none of them have set a goal to impress you so your opinion is moot.
Says it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 3,636,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I have a lot of gray in my hair, and do not ever plan on coloring it, for my own personal reasons.
But I have had many conversations with women who color their hair just because they are uncomfortable with the gray.
They feel it makes them look unattractive, washed out, and older. If they color to make themselves feel better, who am I to judge?
Other women (usually blondes, I've found) color their hair because they feel the color suits them and their personalities.
And yes, some go wild with the color just for fun. In fact, my SIL just put bright red streaks in her (dyed) blonde hair.

To each their own.
Exactly!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,658,930 times
If the lady has naturally light (not necessarily blonde) hair to begin with, she can deal with gray in a much more gradual, subtle way that goes pretty much unnoticed. Like my wife:

She's 66, has had light brown hair all her life. As the gray started to be noticeable, she had a sort of dark ash blonde added to the upper strands ("highlighting"). Now the under layers are coming in gray as well, and she's about to have those colored with her original brown color ("lowlighting"). It's actually easier than an all-over single dye color, and looks quite natural - better than natural!

Don't even suggest to her that she let the gray grow in!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 AM

11,029 posts, read 6,212,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
This post was funny! I laughed out loud picturing dye jobs I've seen with every one of your examples. Your points are well taken, mandavaran.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 AM

17,216 posts, read 14,812,677 times
Color is not the same as it used to be...it used to be something shameful so it was important that it not be detectable, that hasn't been the case in years. Do you believe the people with pink and purple hair are trying to "fool" people too? It's just another tool of self-expression and looking like you want to, no one cares if you know we dye our hair. If I cared that much I'd do my roots much more often.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
When my hair goes completely gray I might "embrace the gray" since my gray hair is actually stark white, like my grandmother's. Meanwhile though, it's just a yucky mix of auburn and white, and very uneven. So, errrr, no thanks - I'll keep dying it, like I have since I was 15. Why should I stop now? I like being more auburn in the summer (my former "natural color" before all the white hairs started cropping up - when I was 28 by the way), and going darker rich chocolate brown in the winter.

I have a few friends who have gone the natural gray look. One looks GREAT and one looks ten years older than she really is. It looks good on some people and not so good on others.

I will agree with the OP on one thing though - red hair on people who have gone gray already. LADIES, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LOOK. When you have very little natural pigment in your hair, that red can look pink or purple out in the sunlight. My best friend has this look going on and I've tried to tell her like this: "You know, once I got a lot of natural gray in my hair, I had to be REALLY CAREFUL about any auburn or red coloring - it can really look weird in the sunlight." HINT HINT. But she hasn't got the hint yet. I wonder if I should just flat out tell her, "Do you know that your hair looks shockingly pink in the sunlight?" I mean like fuschia pink. I do not think this is her intention. What surprises me is that she can't see it. Doesn't she ever look in the mirror in the car, or catch a reflection of herself in her car window in the parking lot? I mean, this is a very obvious and shocking color in the sunlight. I've seen many older women with this going on.

Take away - always check out your hair coloring in the sunlight. You may be surprised.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,039,283 times
I didn't color my own hair till I was 25. By then, I had alot of gray, having the early gray DNA passed on to me. I was standing at the checkout, with my 3 young children...and the cashier....complimented me on my "Beautiful GRAND CHILDREN!!"

I was....25 years old. I paid for my purchase, loaded it up in the car...went right back in and bought hair color. It still took me years to find my right color. But still. GRANDMA...at 25??!!! Oh heck NO!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:45 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If the lady has naturally light (not necessarily blonde) hair to begin with, she can deal with gray in a much more gradual, subtle way that goes pretty much unnoticed. Like my wife:

She's 66, has had light brown hair all her life. As the gray started to be noticeable, she had a sort of dark ash blonde added to the upper strands ("highlighting"). Now the under layers are coming in gray as well, and she's about to have those colored with her original brown color ("lowlighting"). It's actually easier than an all-over single dye color, and looks quite natural - better than natural!

Don't even suggest to her that she let the gray grow in!
You sound like my husband. I'm 53 and when I said, "I'm thinking about letting my hair go natural," he looked shocked and said, "PLEASE don't go gray yet!" Which I thought was sort of funny because, though he has a headful of thick, beautiful hair at age 57 - it is 100 percent gray.

But I didn't really want to go gray yet anyway.

I actually tried it a bit a few years ago just to see what I had "in there." BLECH. It was a horrible mixture of white and auburn and dark brown random hair. NO THANK YOU.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I know a lot of women who are trendy and chic that do embrace the grey, but if a women has colored her hair all her life just for fun why should she stop. Dying your hair is CHEAP. If cost under $10 if you do it yourself. It is certainly not complicated. I have been dying my hair since 15 just for fun. I am not even 100% if would even notice getting gray when I am older? That just raised a stupid question I might have to look up later. Not all hair goes grey as a person ages does it? I know people that are older with grey hair, but dark brown/black eye brows. Hmmm? Anyone one older and wiser want to answer this ... does everything or mostly all body hair go grey as you age or just head hair? Share your wisdom .
Your eyebrows can go gray too...sometimes when it seems like your brows are thinning or disappearing, it's really just that a lot of the finer hairs have gone gray. You can have your eyebrows dyed but it seems to only last a couple of weeks. Other body hair can go gray also

About noticing when you go gray when you're coloring your hair, I noticed when mine started to go gray around the front of my face. When you touch up your roots and realize you look a lot younger and your hair looks fuller, then you know you're starting to get a lot of gray.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When my hair goes completely gray I might "embrace the gray" since my gray hair is actually stark white, like my grandmother's. Meanwhile though, it's just a yucky mix of auburn and white, and very uneven. So, errrr, no thanks - I'll keep dying it, like I have since I was 15. Why should I stop now? I like being more auburn in the summer (my former "natural color" before all the white hairs started cropping up - when I was 28 by the way), and going darker rich chocolate brown in the winter.

I have a few friends who have gone the natural gray look. One looks GREAT and one looks ten years older than she really is. It looks good on some people and not so good on others.

I will agree with the OP on one thing though - red hair on people who have gone gray already. LADIES, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LOOK. When you have very little natural pigment in your hair, that red can look pink or purple out in the sunlight. My best friend has this look going on and I've tried to tell her like this: "You know, once I got a lot of natural gray in my hair, I had to be REALLY CAREFUL about any auburn or red coloring - it can really look weird in the sunlight." HINT HINT. But she hasn't got the hint yet. I wonder if I should just flat out tell her, "Do you know that your hair looks shockingly pink in the sunlight?" I mean like fuschia pink. I do not think this is her intention. What surprises me is that she can't see it. Doesn't she ever look in the mirror in the car, or catch a reflection of herself in her car window in the parking lot? I mean, this is a very obvious and shocking color in the sunlight. I've seen many older women with this going on.

Take away - always check out your hair coloring in the sunlight. You may be surprised.
I agree women should be able to do what the want with their hair, whether it looks "natural" or not.

To KATHRYN - the time has come for me to grow out my silver. I am now 66 and I have a LOT of silver under my dark brown dye (which looks natural). I have been coloring for decades, and had gotten to the point of needing to color every TWO WEEKS and leave it on for a long, long time because of the highly resistant and abundant silver. I also developed a basal cell carcinoma on my scalp. So with all that I decided that for better or worse I am going "silver goddess" now. I am considering adding a streak or two in the dark color just to help things along because I need my hair long, because I love my updos.

I do agree that on some gray hair can be very aging, but a lot depends on how healthy the hair looks and the style. These days a lot of women are wearing a lot more attractive hairstyles which can keep them from looking "frumpy" and old. I admit I am attached to my dark hair and have mixed feelings about this, but I feel it is something I must do. I always knew this day was coming, and having the scalp lesion just cemented the decision.

But to all ladies out there who love coloring for fun, fashion, hide grey or whatever - GO FOR IT. It is a cheap way to make you feel like a million bux....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty