U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:25 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,814,974 times

Advertisements

I actually started dying my because I had to accept the fact that the 80's perms were out of style and I didn't want flat hair for the rest of my life. I was naturally a lighter color blond and somewhere in my 30's my hair started going dishwater blond. I color my hair golden blond just because that is a color I naturally had at one point and found flattering. If someone gave me a hard time about it I would start acting blond and then we would all be in trouble. ;-p

Last edited by Sarahsez; 11-23-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 AM

9,156 posts, read 6,339,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
To that I would respond, if you don't like it don't look at it. I doubt seriously that any of these ladies have done whatever they have to their hair to impress you. Some of those colors or do's might not be my preferences either, but it's not my hair or my business.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Color is not the same as it used to be...it used to be something shameful so it was important that it not be detectable, that hasn't been the case in years. Do you believe the people with pink and purple hair are trying to "fool" people too? It's just another tool of self-expression and looking like you want to, no one cares if you know we dye our hair. If I cared that much I'd do my roots much more often.
No one has mentioned this, but I find that coloring my hair adds body and shine to it, and it's easier to manage. That is one of the reasons I still color my hair.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM

1,692 posts, read 843,298 times
It's not just women. I saw an older man, very pasty white skin with brittle hair texture that was dyed jet black. Almost like an older Elvis impersonator. For his own sake I wish a friend or family member would let him know without hurting his feelings and maybe lead him to a more flattering look for himself.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When my hair goes completely gray I might "embrace the gray" since my gray hair is actually stark white, like my grandmother's. Meanwhile though, it's just a yucky mix of auburn and white, and very uneven. So, errrr, no thanks - I'll keep dying it, like I have since I was 15. Why should I stop now? I like being more auburn in the summer (my former "natural color" before all the white hairs started cropping up - when I was 28 by the way), and going darker rich chocolate brown in the winter.

I have a few friends who have gone the natural gray look. One looks GREAT and one looks ten years older than she really is. It looks good on some people and not so good on others.

I will agree with the OP on one thing though - red hair on people who have gone gray already. LADIES, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LOOK. When you have very little natural pigment in your hair, that red can look pink or purple out in the sunlight. My best friend has this look going on and I've tried to tell her like this: "You know, once I got a lot of natural gray in my hair, I had to be REALLY CAREFUL about any auburn or red coloring - it can really look weird in the sunlight." HINT HINT. But she hasn't got the hint yet. I wonder if I should just flat out tell her, "Do you know that your hair looks shockingly pink in the sunlight?" I mean like fuschia pink. I do not think this is her intention. What surprises me is that she can't see it. Doesn't she ever look in the mirror in the car, or catch a reflection of herself in her car window in the parking lot? I mean, this is a very obvious and shocking color in the sunlight. I've seen many older women with this going on.

Take away - always check out your hair coloring in the sunlight. You may be surprised.
That's true enough, but I guess you'd be surprised ( or maybe not) at the number of people who look in the mirror and see not what's there obvious to anyone else, but exactly what they want to see. I've seen that fuschia hair color you talk about, it's hard not to notice it, but it looks like many of those ladies with it are either oblivious to it or have decided to embrace it.

...........dashing off outside with a mirror to see what my hair looks like outside in the sunshine......

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM

15,394 posts, read 8,686,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
Why do you get to decide what I like? My hair, my choice.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM

40,981 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree women should be able to do what the want with their hair, whether it looks "natural" or not.

To KATHRYN - the time has come for me to grow out my silver. I am now 66 and I have a LOT of silver under my dark brown dye (which looks natural). I have been coloring for decades, and had gotten to the point of needing to color every TWO WEEKS and leave it on for a long, long time because of the highly resistant and abundant silver. I also developed a basal cell carcinoma on my scalp. So with all that I decided that for better or worse I am going "silver goddess" now. I am considering adding a streak or two in the dark color just to help things along because I need my hair long, because I love my updos.

I do agree that on some gray hair can be very aging, but a lot depends on how healthy the hair looks and the style. These days a lot of women are wearing a lot more attractive hairstyles which can keep them from looking "frumpy" and old. I admit I am attached to my dark hair and have mixed feelings about this, but I feel it is something I must do. I always knew this day was coming, and having the scalp lesion just cemented the decision.

But to all ladies out there who love coloring for fun, fashion, hide grey or whatever - GO FOR IT. It is a cheap way to make you feel like a million bux....!
Girl, I bet you are going to look fantastic with silver hair! You'll have to post pictures!!!!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM

40,981 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's true enough, but I guess you'd be surprised ( or maybe not) at the number of people who look in the mirror and see not what's there obvious to anyone else, but exactly what they want to see. I've seen that fuschia hair color you talk about, it's hard not to notice it, but it looks like many of those ladies with it are either oblivious to it or have decided to embrace it.

...........dashing off outside with a mirror to see what my hair looks like outside in the sunshine......
Haha, you're not kidding. Ever since I saw my friend's hair in the sun, I do a "sun check" and tend to avoid auburns and reds. I have enough natural auburn left that I get an auburn sheen to anything anyway, but dang - that pink was NO BUENO.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM

15,197 posts, read 16,049,554 times
I'm not trying to fool anyone with my colored hair and I couldn't anyway since it changes color, at least subtly, every 6 to 8 weeks. I found my first gray hair when I was about 23 and am 53 now. I've colored it, gone back to gray and colored it again. I have a great hair stylist and enjoy letting her have a free hand with it.

We could all wear burlap bags for clothes and let our hair grow to our waists, but we don't. For whatever reason, people like to adorn themselves and change their appearance. There's no reason to pick out women's hair color for some sort of back-to-nature campaign.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 604,101 times
I honestly do wish I could feel good about letting my hair go white/silver/gray because I am 62, so no way am I trying to "fool" anyone about my age. However, except for right around my face -- in other words the great bulk of my hair -- I am only about 5% or so white (not gray). Really, it just looks like I have a "few" white threads in my natural coppery brown, so if i don't color it, it just looks frumpish.

(And I also color it -- as close to my natural color as I can find -- because my husband wants me to do so.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty