U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 PM

437 posts, read 357,000 times

Advertisements

People who dye their hair aren't usually trying to fool anyone (well, maybe so in the case of spies changing their identities, that sort of thing, LOL). They just think they look better with color in their hair, than with no color. Maybe, if you saw them with their natural colorless or gray hair, you would agree.

OP has a point that some colors don't really suit the people who chose them. But that's a matter of taste, not deceit.

There is a man at my gym who recently started coloring his thick, wavy gray hair, eyebrows and mustache a dark brown. It's obviously a home job, and he's not diligent about the roots, unfortunately...but when the color is fresh, he truly does look 10 years younger, even though the color is(to me) obviously fake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM

18,849 posts, read 12,473,150 times
I think a woman has a right to color her hair if she wants to. But I also agree that I can always tell that the color is fake. I also think that self coloring is usually not as natural looking as having it done professionally. And then there are always the roots.

But, when a woman has colored her hair for decades, changing is hard. I understand that. The brighter colors don't do anything for our fading skin color, which happens as we age. But, again, I am not advocating people give up their color, if that is what they want to do.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:07 PM

785 posts, read 615,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!

I hope you aren't single "on the market" as the second sentence out of your mouth would be enough to make any of the available ladies pour their drink over your head.

As for me:

1. I am happily married.
2. I have never colored my hair..
3. My hair is still only about 20% silver.
4. I would love to pour a drink over your head, just on general principle because you sound like a real Awrse.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM

4,938 posts, read 2,563,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I agree with the OP that overly bright, dark or weird shades are not attractive, especially on older women. I also don't like really obvious highlights that look like tiger stripes. Some women do look fine with grey hair. Others, not so much. If the gray comes in unevenly it can look strange, with a shock of white hair in the front and darker hair in the back. Or if the woman's complexion is very fair, as mine is, any shade of grey drains all the color out of her face. I would look embalmed! So I have it colored a dark blonde that is much more flattering, and I don't think it looks fake. Judge for yourself. This was taken the day after my 66th birthday:
Your hair is beautiful and so are you! Embrace your color!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
My hair is thin, and always has been. Bleaching and dying it usually destroys it but henna makes it much stronger. I used dark red henna and yes, it comes out a beautiful dark red. I know for me a light red looks more natural but I LIKE the dark one better. It looks cool though. Henna has done more to strengthen my hair than anything else so I am planning on using the clear stuff inbetween.

And who CARES if you do your hair black or brown or red or.... purple! It's your hair. Most people including men who dye their hair (many men do) also know your not 'fooling' anyone but its not about that.

When I was trying for red with regular hair stuff, I did manage to dye it purple. No idea how. it was actually rather fun, though my son didn't recognize me when I picked him up from an appointment.

We don't have 'older women style clothes' anymore and different rules about what's socially okay to wear, why shouldn't everyone get to have fun with their hair.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:45 PM

15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Your hair is beautiful and so are you! Embrace your color!
Can't rep you again yet, but thank you, GiGi!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:10 PM

4,099 posts, read 3,388,567 times
I can agree wholeheartedly with all viewpoints by my 'fellow' lady posters here, many speak to my own circumstances and opinion of the matter. However, I'm just going to stick with this...it's just easier for me.

I don't (and won't) apologize and don't (and won't) explain.

Best regards ladies!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,183,522 times
Wait... Are you telling me that my hot pink hair doesn't look like a natural color? No wonder people stare! DOH!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,726,689 times
I agree about the black shoe polish hair. Hamtramck panis have been doing that for 50 years. God awful. I guess it covers roots better?

But even worse is the "oranges p-oranges" hair dye for men. Just for Minzziz has made any of its medium to light brown shades orange. Light brown is now orange. Medium brown - orange. Nothing brown about it. I see it everywhere. Everybody looks like Ronald McDonald.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
I've been dying my hair for years since I went gray in my 30s. It wasn't good for my professional life to be seen as someone old enough to have gray hair (which runs in my family, my Dad was gray in his 20s). I color it slightly lighter than my original brown color, since we lose pigmentation all over. Aside from "fooling people," I think that color is much more flattering to my pale skin tone than white hair would be.

If women were perceived as being "silver foxes" or "distinguished" or "senatorial" or other characteristics I've heard applied to gray-haired men, I don't think we'd be so quick to color our hair. After all, it's expensive and time consuming. But there is a lot of negativity associated with being a gray-haired woman. Yes, it is lovely on some women. But I'm nobody's Grandma and I don't appreciate others assuming that I am.

If the OP chooses gray hair, that's absolutely fine. But if some of us decide to do something else, I don't think it's anyone else's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty