U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times

Advertisements

Who cares? I'm a man and I dye my hair. I've had my parents (mostly my mom, really) tell me when I was a teenager that it's "feminine" and has "gay connotations." I don't give a rat's. It's my hair, I do what I want with it. And yes, I'm very much gay, at the very least bisexual. But straight men can dye their hair too, doesn't matter.

Most women dye their hair for the same reason they paint their nails or get a haircut or wear a certain outfit: They want to, and they can. Let people do what they like with their hair. Even if it comes off unflattering, it's their hair and we're not long enough on this planet to enjoy it forever. Eventually it'll become brittle and maybe fall off. And then comes death... So enjoy your hair while you're alive and it's healthy to do so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,511,601 times
It is also possible that an older person may not be coloring their hair, and just not have gone gray yet. My mom is now 61 and has never colored her hair in her life. She is pretty much as blond now as she was 40 years ago. Maybe 10 gray hairs around her temples that you can't see amidst the blond unless you really look closely. (and I work with her, and see her every day, I'm 100% positive she isn't dying it secretly)

Not everyone goes gray/white at the same time. My mother in law was completely white (and wore it proudly) when I started dating my husband in high school. She couldn't have been over 40 at that point.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Nope...I'm only 40 but unfortunately going gray early runs in my family. I started going gray in my early 30s and still feel like I'm to young to have a head full of gray hair, so no, I won't be embracing my gray, no more than I embrace other signs of aging that I can hold off. I tried to let it go, but it made me look older than I am...so I went back to dying it.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When my hair goes completely gray I might "embrace the gray" since my gray hair is actually stark white, like my grandmother's. Meanwhile though, it's just a yucky mix of auburn and white, and very uneven. So, errrr, no thanks - I'll keep dying it, like I have since I was 15. Why should I stop now? I like being more auburn in the summer (my former "natural color" before all the white hairs started cropping up - when I was 28 by the way), and going darker rich chocolate brown in the winter.

I have a few friends who have gone the natural gray look. One looks GREAT and one looks ten years older than she really is. It looks good on some people and not so good on others.

I will agree with the OP on one thing though - red hair on people who have gone gray already. LADIES, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LOOK. When you have very little natural pigment in your hair, that red can look pink or purple out in the sunlight. My best friend has this look going on and I've tried to tell her like this: "You know, once I got a lot of natural gray in my hair, I had to be REALLY CAREFUL about any auburn or red coloring - it can really look weird in the sunlight." HINT HINT. But she hasn't got the hint yet. I wonder if I should just flat out tell her, "Do you know that your hair looks shockingly pink in the sunlight?" I mean like fuschia pink. I do not think this is her intention. What surprises me is that she can't see it. Doesn't she ever look in the mirror in the car, or catch a reflection of herself in her car window in the parking lot? I mean, this is a very obvious and shocking color in the sunlight. I've seen many older women with this going on.

Take away - always check out your hair coloring in the sunlight. You may be surprised.
Okay....I don't ever have a mirror available when I'm outside so I guess just take a bunch of selfies out in the sun?!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay....I don't ever have a mirror available when I'm outside so I guess just take a bunch of selfies out in the sun?!
Henna cures red, the darker the longer you leave it on.

I formerly tried the chemical stuff. My hair became some.... interesting but not desirable tones, not even counting the purple. And it faded fast with sun. Not to mention what it did to my hair.

That's what I love about henna. It creates a natural color which doesn't fade to some odd one and your hair ends up in *better* condition. You may temperarily have red fingers.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM

40,954 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
you can't find a hand held mirror to take outslde? Ok. I guess you're taking your hair into your own hands.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,705,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It is also possible that an older person may not be coloring their hair, and just not have gone gray yet. My mom is now 61 and has never colored her hair in her life. She is pretty much as blond now as she was 40 years ago. Maybe 10 gray hairs around her temples that you can't see amidst the blond unless you really look closely. (and I work with her, and see her every day, I'm 100% positive she isn't dying it secretly)
I'm 68 and my hair is still mostly honey blond with a bit of grey at the temples and starting
in the back....it has gotten more grey in the last year and I'm sure it will continue...but for
now it's blond and not dyed....yet.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 PM

28 posts, read 15,547 times
Everyone has a right to color or not to color!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 PM

13,154 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Original Poster:

Not every woman on the planet puts artificial color in their hair, personally I have never had any artificial color in my hair and will never have artificial color in my hair.
The general reason women and men do this from what I undestand is to make themselves feel better and look better according to them.
Amazingly enough none of them need your permission and I would venture to guess none of them have set a goal to impress you so your opinion is moot.
This. OP sounds like yet another man judging women's choices about what they choose to do with their bodies. FAIL, OP. I dye my hair because it started going grey prematurely and I don't like looking like Cruella DeVille. I dye it jet black, its natural color, but I have to go to a professional because it is resistant to the home coloring treatments. Amazingly enough, my life decisions don't revolve around your opinion.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM

23,908 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...
"Older women"? Why is it okay for younger women to color their hair and not older women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
You can embrace your gray all you like. I will go gray when I damn well please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty