U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 PM

583 posts, read 739,298 times

Advertisements

As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
It's not meant to look natural, it's meant to be fun. I don't like grey hair on me, not totally grey anyway, so I do what I want and I promise, I'm not trying to "fool" anyone. I'm just trying to enjoy myself.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Poorly done or unflattering hair color is unattractive. The answer does not have to be "embrace the grey" - although if one wants to do that go for it! Better hair color is also an option.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
Uh no.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:47 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,089,878 times
Aw, somebody's a little bitter.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 4,734,254 times
Why can we have fun? It's only hair for goodness sake. Embrace life.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:15 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times
Default It is just about FUN I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As a counterpoint to a recent thread about men's comb overs....

Why do older women think it looks great to dye their gray hair such outlandish colors as...

1. Black Raven-Enough black in their hair to tar roads. Kids have been known to chomp on it mistaking it for licorice strands.

2. Fox Red-And I don't mean the good kind of fox i.e. "a foxy ladyyyy". That orange-reddish glo combo that could attract flying saucers looking for a landing pad.

3. Henna Red-A darker shade of the one above. Maybe for the woman who always wanted to look like a cherry tootsie roll pop.

4. Any shade of Blonde-Platinum, yellow lab, wheat field or really any shade that will ensure that "blonde moments" need not be homegrown.

5. Any kind of streaking or frosting-Actually, this could almost be acceptable. Age spots can be sucked into the vortex of some of those swirls.

Ladies, embrace your gray! Age is wisdom and experience! Forget those messy hair colors and expensive salon treatments. Gray is the only way!
I know a lot of women who are trendy and chic that do embrace the grey, but if a women has colored her hair all her life just for fun why should she stop. Dying your hair is CHEAP. If cost under $10 if you do it yourself. It is certainly not complicated. I have been dying my hair since 15 just for fun. I am not even 100% if would even notice getting gray when I am older? That just raised a stupid question I might have to look up later. Not all hair goes grey as a person ages does it? I know people that are older with grey hair, but dark brown/black eye brows. Hmmm? Anyone one older and wiser want to answer this ... does everything or mostly all body hair go grey as you age or just head hair? Share your wisdom .

Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 AM

1,012 posts, read 947,343 times
I have a lot of gray in my hair, and do not ever plan on coloring it, for my own personal reasons.
But I have had many conversations with women who color their hair just because they are uncomfortable with the gray.
They feel it makes them look unattractive, washed out, and older. If they color to make themselves feel better, who am I to judge?
Other women (usually blondes, I've found) color their hair because they feel the color suits them and their personalities.
And yes, some go wild with the color just for fun. In fact, my SIL just put bright red streaks in her (dyed) blonde hair.

To each their own.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:18 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Original Poster:

Not every woman on the planet puts artificial color in their hair, personally I have never had any artificial color in my hair and will never have artificial color in my hair.
The general reason women and men do this from what I undestand is to make themselves feel better and look better according to them.
Amazingly enough none of them need your permission and I would venture to guess none of them have set a goal to impress you so your opinion is moot.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 AM

15,814 posts, read 4,930,121 times
I agree with the OP that overly bright, dark or weird shades are not attractive, especially on older women. I also don't like really obvious highlights that look like tiger stripes. Some women do look fine with grey hair. Others, not so much. If the gray comes in unevenly it can look strange, with a shock of white hair in the front and darker hair in the back. Or if the woman's complexion is very fair, as mine is, any shade of grey drains all the color out of her face. I would look embalmed! So I have it colored a dark blonde that is much more flattering, and I don't think it looks fake. Judge for yourself. This was taken the day after my 66th birthday:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty