Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:12 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times

Advertisements

I've been wearing them for over 40 years and don't even think twice about what other people think. I buy the ones that are about 1 inch thick as they absorb the shock better and don't transmit it to the joints.
I love the feel of the sun and wind on my feet.
At the end of the day, I also don't have sore feet or joints because of the rubber passing of the soles.
The downfall is if you ever stub your toe, you have no protection but the comfort is worth it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
I don't care for flip-flops. But it's because I don't care anything for feet. The most unattractive part of the human body, imo.

So a guy who didn't wear flip-flops would be cool with me. Not that it's a deal-breaker of course. Just preference.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Different strokes for different folks. Your wife should wear what she wants and you should wear what you want.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'm more of a sneaker and boot guy. But since I got to CA I noticed a lot of guys wearing flip flops and showing their feet. I may wear them inside the house, at the pool, or while at the beach but generally I don't like to have my feet exposed out in public.
Wife is always wanting me to get flip flops and wear them out in public along with the baggy shorts and tank tops. It's just not a style I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable in jeans and boots or tactical BDUs and boots or sneakers.
Anyone else has thoughts about this?
Wear one flip flop. Cut off one leg of your pants make it a 1/2 short. Rip off the opposite side arm sleeve. Go out with her like that every time you go out. Tell her you're wearing what you want and what she wants . I bet she stops bugging you.

I wear flops and shorts sometimes. I never wear tank tops.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
This is basically how I'm thinking too. With the exception of decent looking women.

But she doesn't try to force me. She just mildly pushes me at times. I'm just not the CA surfer type guy. I'm more denim and boots biker type. When it gets colder I'm comfortable in leather. I'm from the east coast originally. Flip flop wearing guys there are few. I'm still interested in more people's thoughts on this.
Have you tried it for a day? It may sound funny but being with someone who looks uncomfortable to me can make me feel uncomfortable too, so I can see why she might want you to at least give it a chance.
Well maintained feet don't have to be ugly either. Unless you have really hairy toes, ugly yellowed nails, or knobby gnarly feet I doubt most people give a rat's behind about what your feet look like.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Yeah, lighten up. You sound a little too stuffy and flip flops might do you some good.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yeah, lighten up. You sound a little too stuffy and flip flops might do you some good.

Someone sounds stuffy because they don't want to wear a specific shoe? Seriously, that is one of the silliest things I have read in a while.
It is close to saying you are easy because you wear shorts in public...

Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My husband didn't wear flip flops when we met, or for about 5 years after we were married. He always wore boots and jeans. He said it was because he wanted to be prepared if he got in a fight or needed to fix the car on the side of the road (can you tell we were teenagers? ). It gets pretty warm where we live and flip flops and shorts are more comfortable during the hottest parts of the year. I always wore shorts and flip flops because that's comfortable, and eventually he started doing it too. He would never wear baggy shorts and a tank top out in public though, he usually wears a polo shirt, khaki shorts and leather flip-flops.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Probably the silliest thing I see here in Montana is people wearing flip flops and shorts and a bulky parka on a 20 degree day with an inch or so of snow on the ground!

I, too, refuse to wear flip flops or shorts or sleeveless shirts. However, I do wear sleeveless undershirts in the summer, under my short sleeved shirts. I do not own any flip flops.
I wear RedWing boots and jeans summer and winter. In deep snow (more than 3 inches) and/or very cold weather (less than 20 degrees) I may add a pair of 5 buckle Arctic overboots. If it is REALLY cold, and I have to be outside for any length of time, I wear felt lined paks and a pair of Carhartt insulated bib overalls with a short parka.
And good gloves, of course.
My wife does not complain.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Assuming your feet are healthy, I think you should bust free of this hang up. My husband thinks his nails are unattractive, but it is all in his head, so he won't wear sandals.

I have a brother and a brother in law who won't wear shorts, because their legs are too white. Duh. Men are strange creatures.

If you are not doing something that is mainstream accepted, then you probably have an irrational hang up. I doubt if OPs wife really cares if he wears flip flops, but she probably recognizes that he has nonsensical thinking, and she wants him to overcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty