Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Hey, Aunt Kay, just wondering ... What's your bra size?"

OP, did she request a sweater, or did you just think of that?

I know right lol! I'd rather put her through the hassle of trying to return it then talk with my elderly relative about the size of her boobs.

Anyway, she used the phrase button down sweater specifically. I wouldn't have come up with that. I guess it could apply to a cardigan. This is also meant to be a surprise as she just mentioned that she needed one and isn't really expecting a gift from me. I thought it would be nice to do though.

She wears sweatpants and things of that sort a lot so that's what it would go with. She'd definitely like something more practical than fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
She may have some issues that prevent her from having the ability to pull sweaters over her head (that's my thinking) - so a basic cardigan should fit the bill. Is she heavy all over, bottom-heavy? that will help determine size.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She may have some issues that prevent her from having the ability to pull sweaters over her head (that's my thinking) - so a basic cardigan should fit the bill. Is she heavy all over, bottom-heavy? that will help determine size.
Heavy all over I'd say.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mom is 5'6" and 165 and wears an XL, that's why I was guessing XL.
There is a wide range of sizes and weights, which is why I think weight is a useless metric to figure out what size people wear. On my frame, and I am a bit shorter, 180 is L in button up sweaters and medium in other knit shirts.

Bra size is a much better proxy. Weight tells you absolutely nothing.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Often people don't actually button up the cardigans anyway. I'd go with a L or XL from LL Bean or Lands End. Better for it to be too big than too small, and arms can always be pushed up.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:41 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
It's a Christmas present for a relative. Not looking to get anything too pricey. Definitely below $100. Also, she's 5'6" and about 180 lbs, if any one can guess what size that would be (I'd rather not ask because she doesn't like to talk about her weight).
I wouldn't get a woman clothing, esp. since you don't know her size. Did she request a button down sweater? Button down tops are problematic for busty women, if she's busty.

I don't know what size that would be. She's chunky, but because of body type and bust, she could be any size. In other words, if a 5'6" woman weighs 125 and has DD busom, she might wear an XL top. But if she has an A busom, she might wear a small or medium. And it depends on whether the sweater runs large or small.

I have large women in my family. I think an XL is TOO SMALL for 180 at 5'6", if she has any busom at all. XXL would be safer. Better to be too large than too small. Heavy women also don't like to wear tight clothing.

Did she say if she wants to wear it alone, buttoned up, as a top? That's how I wear cardigans/sweaters. Or as a real sweater, over another top, for chilly weather?

Can't you just tell her you'd rather not buy her clothing? To ask for something else?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Often people don't actually button up the cardigans anyway. I'd go with a L or XL from LL Bean or Lands End. Better for it to be too big than too small, and arms can always be pushed up.
I wear cardigans alone. Buttoned up, of course.

I don't like to layer. It adds bulk and makes a person look heavier.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wear cardigans alone. Buttoned up, of course.

I don't like to layer. It adds bulk and makes a person look heavier.
Layering is key to living in a cold climate, so it's a necessary evil.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:52 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I'm 5'6" 140 pounds and I always get X-large in cardigan sweaters. I like my sweaters roomy enough so that they aren't tight in the arms when I'm wearing a long sleeve blouse underneath it. For sweaters, I would suggest:
Macy's
Banana Republic
LL Bean
Nordstroms
J Crew
Urban Outfitters

Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Get her a gift certificate to a store that is easy for her to access and a nice scarf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty