Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 AM

22,346 posts, read 47,330,926 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wWz_7qdrPs

Cute little ditty!
Still photo may be NSFW.

OOPS... did not know the photo would post!
Mods... delete if necessary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,671,991 times
My husband is very Scottish and Scotch/Irish...both sides of his family. America is what it is. But we can still be proud of our heritage. I don't have a tartan plaid, as my heritage is English/Irish/German/French/Dutch/Cherokee Indian/Melungeon.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,860,115 times
He looked wounded but he was kilt.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,333,607 times
THE SCOTSMAN:
A Scottsman clad in kilts, left a bar one evening fair
One could tell by how he walked, he'd drunk more than his share
He staggered on until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

Later on two young and lovely girls just happened by
One said to the other with a twinkle in her eye
Oh see young sleeping Scotsman, so young and handsome built
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath their kilts
They stepped up to that Scotsman, so young and fancy free
They lifted up his kilt above the waist so they could see

And there, behold, for them to view, beneath his Scottish skirt
Twas nothing more than God had blessed him with upon his birth.
They marveled for a moment, then one said "Let's be gone."
Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along
As a gift they left a blue ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonny star that Scott's kilt lifting showed.

The Scott awoke to nature's call and stumbled to the trees,
Behind a bush he lift's his kilt, and gawks at what he sees
Then in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
Ach Lad, I dinna know where you been, but I see you won 1st prize.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,268,442 times
I think they're great formal wear for men of Scottish heritage. I've been to several weddings where someone wore one. I also once attended a movie premiere in London where Hugh Laurie, one of the actors in the film, wore the formal Scottish attire while the other actors wore tuxedos. He looked great and his attire promoted an enthusiastic reaction from the audience.

Being part Scottish myself, I've attended several festivals such as the Ligonier Highland Games at Idlewild Park outside of Pittsburgh. In addition to the people who are in the Highlands dance competitions and the members of the pipe bands that compete for prizes, most of the men in attendance wear the kilts of their various clans — even when they're competing in strenuous Scottish athletic competitions such as the caber toss:

Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,403,477 times
I don't wear the kilt myself, but I have a friend who does, all the time. Last year we took a trip to Florida together, which involved passing through airports where we encountered a lot of people (obviously) and I was amazed at the several compliments that my friend got from female strangers. Maybe he's a particularly approachable-looking guy or something--he's certainly a nice person--but it definitely livened up the journey. He knows all the jokes about underwear or the lack thereof, and his stock answer to questions about it is "There's only one way to wear a kilt". Though actually, I don't recall anyone asking while we were together. Anyway, he says he's used to attracting some attention, and it's always been favorable.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,432,881 times
I'm a fan.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,064,065 times
Yes to kilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This.

My BIL is a Scot, legitimately...born in the Highlands, near Inverness. He wore a kilt at his wedding. That's cool. Utilikilts all seem to be worn at Ren Fests by sweaty guys who look like Kevin Smith. Less cool.
I think utilikilts can be fine, on the right guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Good only in Scotland, or while taking part in some unique, specific, Scottish type event only, or where its part of a "uniform". Not for regular wear here in America.

Its about as "fashion" as Cosplay.
I've seen guys get around in them. Looked good too.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,178,023 times
I'm glad to see that a lot of people seem to like kilts. I learned something from this thread, too, since I had never seen or heard of a utilikilt before! (I looked them up, and can't say I'm too fond of them...)I'm glad that the kilt-wearing guys I see at my Rennaisance Festival wear the authentic ones.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,578,341 times
So how do y'all feel about lavalava or pareo? Plenty of those here in Hawaii, only one guy in my little town who wears the kilt, and he apparently is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty