Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
People used to say I looked young a few years ago now when I tell people I'm 41 nobody says "I'd never think that" like they do to my friends. They don't seem surprised at all. Does that mean I look my age?
No. It means that they are not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 03:08 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
I never understood this: why is it bad to be seen as younger?
I love it!

You will get old anyway so enjoy the fact you can still pass for a younger person!
As an adult, I don't like to be told I look like a child, and people not knowing I am over 18. And needed to be carded. That's not a compliment. It may be for some, but not for me. So I am going through some steps in changing my look. Different clothes, and alot more make-up. If that doesn't work, smoking would be a last resort - I hear that may age you some

When I am 40-70, then there can be thoughts about looking younger. lol As of now, it's insulting.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-11-2015 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I don't understand people caring about looking "younger" than their actual age. I always say age is nothing but a number; and to me it's more about looking and feeling your best at whatever age you are. I more appreciate people saying something like "looking good!" or something similar that acknowledges how I have been taking care of myself through working out and eating well.

And it is a pet peeve of mine to have people telling me their age like they are "fishing". I don't know and I don't care, I have friends older than me and friends half my age. Again, age is NOTHING but a number.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:17 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't understand people caring about looking "younger" than their actual age. I always say age is nothing but a number; and to me it's more about looking and feeling your best at whatever age you are. I more appreciate people saying something like "looking good!" or something similar that acknowledges how I have been taking care of myself through working out and eating well.

So true!!!

Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I so miss when people were surprised. Only one time recently did I say, "Oh, I learned that when I was 40," and the person said, "No way! I thought you were like 37."

Old 12-11-2015, 07:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
People used to say I looked young a few years ago now when I tell people I'm 41 nobody says "I'd never think that" like they do to my friends. They don't seem surprised at all. Does that mean I look my age?
Not really. That probably means they think that 41 is old, to them. So they don't want to mention your poor, sad age at all. Like a disability. If they are younger, that may be it.

If they are not younger, it could mean you DO look old. Or it could mean they're jealous because you look younger, and they don't.

Do you? Look old, I mean? You probably know.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:15 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Is looking your age really such a bad thing?

No point in trying to hide who you REALLY are.

Age and all. People tell me I look as young as 14 year old. I don't really care.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

And it is a pet peeve of mine to have people telling me their age like they are "fishing". I don't know and I don't care, I have friends older than me and friends half my age. Again, age is NOTHING but a number.
I think the same....nothing wrong with looking your age.

I'm 61. (think aging hippie, combined with mid-level professional for years) People still tell me I look younger than I am...they genuinely seem surprised. I'm not fishing. It comes up, like talking to a repairmen, mentioning climbing up that wall at my age, and the like.

Anyway, when they say I look younger, I think...well, I can't look younger. I'm 61, and this is what I look like. So this MUST be what 61 looks like. Right?

I think some people have a preconcieved idea of what an age looks like. After all...did you mother look like Christie Brinkley does at 61?

Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I assume they think I look my age. That's fine. I'm still hoping I age very well like my mother. Black don't crack.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

I think some people have a preconcieved idea of what an age looks like. After all...did you mother look like Christie Brinkley does at 61?
This is a VERY good point. Up until fairly recently in history, 40-and-up generally came with a specific look or set of looks. For instance, in my grandmother's generation, as soon as a woman hit 40 she cut her hair very short and started wearing a certain type of dress I can only describe as a matron dress...just below the knee, hint of a waist but just that hint, often button-down. Even the eyeglasses in the middle-aged-and-up crowd had a specific look (often cat's eyes with or without rhinestones). My mother was born in 1941 so her generation is now in their 70s. You see a LOT of standard-issue a-bit-longer-than-earlobes length medium-size curls and certain types of clothing. Up until I'd say that generation, both men and women were expected to "put their ages onto their bodies" - in what they wore, how they did their hair, etc. Obviously no two people are ever the same and there are always a variety of styles for anyone but there always seemed to be these "markers" for, "I'm not in my 20s anymore."

Today, it's VERY different. I'm in the pre-senior group now, at 48. I see loads of people in my generation dressing and wearing their hair in ways that would be indistinguishable from 20-year-olds. We're not trying too hard, trying to look young, etc. - it's just a different expectation than in the past. We don't feel we "should" dress or look "older," we feel we should dress and look how we want to dress and look.

But this is a pretty new thing, in the grand scheme of things. So people are still looking to old-fashioned external markers to help determine age. That's not so easy anymore. I think this plays a huge part in the improbably high numbers of people who claim to look much younger than their ages. I'm sure many do, but as I said before, we can't ALL look younger than we are, I mean that's silly...yet you pretty much can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 40-something who says s/he is constantly being mistaken for 15+ years younger. Unless some GIANT genetic anti-aging leap has suddenly occurred, it's more likely that there are reasons other than wrinkles or lack of them that we look younger, older or what-have-you.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-11-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty