Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:04 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,167,921 times

Advertisements

Well, there's no excuse for what TH did. She really needs to pay for the consequences of her actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,351,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Well, there's no excuse for what TH did. She really needs to pay for the consequences of her actions.
What he said.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm no Holliday fan. On that very lengthy thread on her that Kings mentions I took the position that she's encouraging people to eat themselves to an early grave. I see she, a woman in her 30s who should be in perfect health, has seven gall stones. Not surprising. She'll suffer more and more chronic health problems sooner rather than later. Everyone who is obese should understand it's a hazard to their health and should start taking steps now to fix the problem.

But apart from all that, I don't think she's a horrible person for operating a shady business. From reading the link, I gather she intended to start a good business and help charity, but she bit off more than she can chew. Running a business is harder than it looks. She probably doesn't have the staff or know-how to do so effectively, which leads to a profit loss, which leads to her not to follow through on her intention to donate some of her proceeds to charity. To those who expect her to make good with her customers out of her model salary -- that's just silly. The woman makes more than most, but she's a niche fashion model. She's not a billionaire. Yes, she's living more comfortably than most, but no, she probably doesn't have the spare scratch to give refunds to hundreds of customers and still pay the bills.
Yep...^^

And in fairness, here's her response
Tess Holliday Eff Your Beauty Standards Controversy

Old 12-19-2015, 02:51 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
Keeping her well fed isn't cheap.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep...^^

Thanks for sharing the link. Yeah, that's what I figured. Running a business is harder than it looks. I still think she should quit encouraging women to eat themselves into chronic health issues at age 30, but I don't fault her for getting in over her head on the business.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:55 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,287,226 times
As far as I can tell, she didn't promise a portion of every sale would be donated. She said a portion of the proceeds.

She is saying there were no proceeds.

She is claiming she has worked to rectify the missing orders, and donated some of her own money to a charity.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Who???
I must be in my own little world. I've never heard of her before.
I've never heard of her, either.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,244,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
But apart from all that, I don't think she's a horrible person for operating a shady business. From reading the link, I gather she intended to start a good business and help charity, but she bit off more than she can chew. Running a business is harder than it looks. She probably doesn't have the staff or know-how to do so effectively, which leads to a profit loss, which leads to her not to follow through on her intention to donate some of her proceeds to charity.
I'm no successful business person by any means, but I used to run a small shop. Why not be honest with people when complaints start to come in instead of deleting comments and hiding? Turning around and using surgery as an excuse for orders not going out or some excuse like that is just BS trying to pull a 'woe-is-me' to lessen the blow.

If you are an honest person, you don't hide from your fans when there's a speed bump. I definitely think there was some funny business going on, and had she not been called out for it, most of those people probably never would have gotten merch or refunds.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I'm no successful business person by any means, but I used to run a small shop. Why not be honest with people when complaints start to come in instead of deleting comments and hiding? Turning around and using surgery as an excuse for orders not going out or some excuse like that is just BS trying to pull a 'woe-is-me' to lessen the blow.

If you are an honest person, you don't hide from your fans when there's a speed bump. I definitely think there was some funny business going on, and had she not been called out for it, most of those people probably never would have gotten merch or refunds.
At this point I'm making way too many guesses about someone I don't know anything about, but my best guess is she hid because she was overwhelmed. Like most people, she's clearly not cut out to run a business. She and her customers learned the hard way. I see no reason to follow her around and taunt and berate her for this. Just write off the $40 loss and don't reorder. Her customers didn't really need a XXXL hate-the-world, it's-all-their-fault slogan-emblazoned t-shirt anyways.

Last edited by WestCobb; 12-20-2015 at 12:50 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM

8,748 posts, read 9,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep...^^

I had avoided reading this story, figured it for what it was, but, glad to see your link. Seems she has a group of bullies following her around just wanting to keep drama going and it seems to keep spreading over to various places including forums like this. She made some poor business decisions, doesn't sound like she was trying to defraud anyone, but people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of accusations only because of not liking a person for whatever reason or mere stupidity on their own part. As far as her size and what she stands for, that's another matter of which there has been numerous discussions and people will find reasons to attack others for whatever drives them or their own insecurities keep them focused on using this forum as a pulpit to do so.

Last edited by TRosa; 12-20-2015 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty